Inthanon And The Smoke

KhunDave

I have been longing for a lung-full of non-toxic air, as I'm sure have many of the residents of our fair city. Yesterday I almost booked a flight to Phuket, but on seeing the price TG were asking swiftly thought better of it.

Then a different idea took root - Inthanon! 8000 feet above us, is the air as fresh as an August morning? Has anyone been up there? Is it an option for a few hours' relief from this noxious soup in which we are forced to live at present?

Frankly I doubt it's much better, though may be a little better. I base this on the PCD site report from the station that's all the way up Doi Suthep near the Royal Palace. While that's marginally better than in town, it's by no means clear air, and today's level fell into the 'dangerous' level just the same.

So... Scanning the chart, Chonburi currenlty has perfect air.. If you can't afford the flight to Phuket, how about a bus to Patters. Great excuse to go there if ever there was one, for health reasons!

BTW, did anyone see the levels for Chiang Rai and Phayao.. close to 300, that's completely terrible.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

I hate to rain on your parade, but my understanding is (from a BK Post article that I read a week or so ago) that one of the biggest fires in No. Thailand is on the slopes of Doi Inthanon. The article was about some local hilltribe villagers near Mae Chaem protesting what they claimed was deliberate arson.

I'm not sure if the smoke extends to the peak (probably not) or even if the fire is still burning, but if it is, the trip up and down the mountain might be more unpleasant than anything we are experiencing here in CM.

We just returned from a trip to Doi Angkhan and all the way going there, the air was same same smokey, but at 1,300 mtr when we arrived at D.A. the amoke was approx 90% better and 15 degrees cooler. Cooler and cleaner than the lowlands. 50f in the morning and no jacket......but loved it.

Edited by jaideeguy

This time of the year the top of Doi Inthanon is usually above the inversion and in clear air, no guarantees though and you can't go swimming up there. Not to many places to stay either.

Better to go south if the air in Chiang Mai bothers you.