Bar Brawl Krabi

zackxx

Touch wood, I have not encountered any homophobia in Thailand - I guess that's why I love the place so much. Yes, I hold hands in public with my guy, but anything passionate waits until we are in our hotel room with the door locked.

Thumbs UP for the Thai doctor. Like doctors the world over, they work long hours and he was just unwinding.

Thumbs DOWN for the Aussie and even more so for his 'female Thai friend'. I won't go into crudities about their relationship. Scratch the surface of 99% of Aussies and you will find they are very homophobic.

Peter

Apparently the doctor's uncle is quite a senior policeman at National Police Headquarters, Bangkok.

That explains why he gets away with bottling someone, I hope he gets his just deserts one day. A fist fight is one thing but bottling someone is well out of order.

Scratch the surface of 99% of Aussies and you will find they are very homophobic.

Peter

Even the gay ones?

A figure often quoted is that about 10% of all humans are homosexual ... why would Australians be an exception?

Scratch the surface of 99% of Aussies and you will find they are very homophobic.

Peter

Even the gay ones?

A figure often quoted is that about 10% of all humans are homosexual ... why would Australians be an exception?

because 99 % are homophobic??? :o

The allegedly gay doctor may not necessarily have been gay and I doubt that he was. Did he wear a big sign on him that said "Look at me I'm a homosexual!!" There is a strong likelihood what we have here is an angry bar girl that knew she was sized up by the Thai. This event probably has nothing to do with the Thai being gay. He probably was embarrassed by her behaviour and it showed. The entertainment workers can be very nasty when they don't get oh you are so wonderful treatment. I know it may burst some bubbles but there are alot of Thais (and foreigners) that have a pronounced disdain for the types of people that patronize BGs. On the status hierarchy a BG/BB is pretty low. One that sells his/her body to a foreigner is even lower. Like it or not, that opinion exists. The BG obviously picked up on it and wanted to get even with the Thai and so used the common schoolyard tactic of calling someone a sissy. You've all been here long enough to understand that the BG/BBs may be sly and conniving but they also have retarded emotional development and can behave like 14 year old girls. Let me guess, she probably told her hansum man how happy she was to have a "real man" rather than the Thai, and aussie man fell for it hook, line and sinker. Don't assume that because the kid wasn't interested in a cheap whore, that he was gay. If you walk into a bar and ignore the barboys, does that make you hetero?

Why am I defending the doctor? Because I know that some days you just get so overwhelmed, so frustrated that it seeps out. Imagine being that kid and trying to grab some R&R and you have to have some over the top bimbo and her lowlife customer polluting your night. If the kid was coming off his rotation, then he would have been frazzled. I have a Thai friend that has berated people yelling at the BBs that they should be ashamed of themselves and are an insult to the nation. (In this case my friend was administering a regional treatment program and was fed up of fighting a losing battle. He was burnt out. ) Does it justify the beer bottle? Nope. But the jerk who wanted to insult him forgot one of the top 5 rules of survival here: Don't humiliate a Thai.

Well, we are considering a relaxation of the rules about discussing bar girls and bar boys, and this thread was already running. They are a part of Thai society, an underclass of the class system. Unfaithful has just started his story about rescuing a boy from the barboy scene. This thread definitely has a bargirl in it, and the Thai doctor may not even have been gay. He may have scowled at the lower class lady of the night (or she thought the doctor scowled). Neither did the Thai have a sign on him "I am a high class Thai doctor with very powerful police connections," but I bet he knew who to call or mention when he got to the police station.

Violence, absolutely not. It's against Thai Buddhism! But in the revised story, the drunk, homophobic farang threw the first blow. And this sissy pacifist never believed there was a way to fight clean.

Thanks to you all for your posts. I have read through them all and have these comments:

chiang mai
"I blame the bartender"

Yes bar staff should be trained to prevent situations escalating and handle unruly patrons. But we don't live in a perfect world otherwise situations like this wouldn't arise in the first place.

Pdaz
"…As I have had a fair bit of unwelcome attention from gay guys in Singapore in the past I can say I know how the farang felt…"

Pdaz if you read what was written the doctor's eyes "swept the room" as such there was no mention of "gay" staring or leering or "goo-goo"eyes. All the patrons in the bar, gay or str8 would natural look around them and in doing so may or may not catch the eyes of others doing exactly the same…

kek
"I'm interested in how you got hold of this story?

Are you a friend of the farang, the Thai doctor or the bartender?

Or were you a casual bystander who did nothing to defuse the situation or break up the fight?"

Its irrelevant how I know as the purpose of my posting was to elicit responses to my questions in the original post and create debate and only that. I see you did not wish to contribute in that regard but rather only content to make a veiled judgment.

TexasRanger
"Hardly a bar brawl is it....

No excuse for bottling someone, a very cowardly thing to do."

The post was initiate debate not about the definition of the word "brawl". Read my update to the second post. You may find the excuse you require.

nonthaburial
"Why have
[sic]
Disneyland not been acknowled
[sic]
in this scenerio.
[sic]
Bullocks thats
[sic]
what it is. Stop posting <deleted> and get street wise.."

Haven't you heard Thailand IS Disneyland and that's the only reason you're here….

Ijustwannateach
"…foreigner's response to flirtation…

How do you know there was any flirtation?

Jingthing
"The second account is a completely different story"

How is it completely different? I have just added extra detail and made a few corrections.

geriatrickid
"The allegedly gay doctor may not necessarily have been gay and I doubt that he was. Did he wear a big sign on him that said "Look at me I'm a homosexual!!"

"Don't assume that because the kid wasn't interested in a cheap whore, that he was gay"

"…This event probably has nothing to do with the Thai being gay…"

The "allegedly gay doctor" is gay and a doctor too: trust me *wink*. Just as the farang is Australian and the Thai female friend is a bar girl. The reason why the doctor got hassled was because he was gay. geriatrickid you only know what I have written here. If I write the doctor is gay he is gay. If I was unsure he was gay I would have said so or not even mention it at all. If the latter case I would not have bothered to start this thread.

TexasRanger
"Apparently the doctor's uncle is quite a senior policeman at National Police Headquarters, Bangkok"

That explains why he gets away with bottling someone, I hope he gets his just deserts one day. A fist fight is one thing but bottling someone is well out of order.

If you read carefully the doctor was "slim" and the Aussie was "large" and "burly" so was there a level playing field even without the bottle?

PeaceBlondie
"..Neither did the Thai have a sign on him "I am a high class Thai doctor with very powerful police connections," but I bet he knew who to call or mention when he got to the police station."

The duty policemen on that particular night just happened to recognize that the surname of the doctor was the same as a senior policeman in Bangkok. The doctor was not the party to raise it.

The doctor is from a middle class family in Chiang Mai and had to pay his own way through medical school.

This has been an interesting exercise about a real life event. From someone who knows the facts it is curious too to see how some posters here misinterpret, read something into something that is not there and are very quick to judge, coming to completely erroneous conclusions. But we had a lot of fun doing it. Thanks!

Also not many here answered my original questions intended to stimulate debate:

What would you have done in a situation like this?

Since I guessed wrong and did not answer the question originally, I will try to do it now, but I usually hate hypotheticals.

If I had been the slim, young, gay Thai doctor? Wow, that is hypothetical! :D I would not have insulted the whore about what she had between her legs when she was accompanied by a very large, burly, drunk, straight farang. I might have insulted her in Thai, very cleverly. But then I have only ever been an instructor in a medical school, and do not speak Thai.

If I had been a friend of the doctor, sitting at the bar with him? Geez, am I very well built, young, strong, trained in the martial arts, willing to get into a bar fight, and easy to take up somebody else's offenses? No way, Somchay. Having also been a trainer in nonviolence, I would have tried to defuse the situation. But not knowing what the girl said as my friend went to the toilet, and maybe being at the other end of the room when he insulted her vagina, I am not sure what I could have done. Let's see, "Doc, you have neither examined her pussycat nor her samong, nor the penis nor brain of this farang, so I guess that was not a professional opinion, chaimai?"

I hate hypotheticals more than I hate hypodermics. :o

I hope that I would have walked away.

This story reminds me of the time I had my fuse set of by drunk and disgruntled farang while having dinner with a few friends. It started as a result of his Thai friend ditching him and then the two having it out on his cell phone. The guy with everyone around able to hear, starts with the "you stupid (enter words here)" and finishes with the "I'm going to get you and beat your as@" kind of stuff. Well I try to forget this first thing because it was not my business, but after the phone conversation ends this guy starts taking it out on the wait staff and all the people "looking at him" in the restaurant, which by this point is everyone. Luckily we were sitting behind and he never said anything to us directly, but it lit me up nonetheless.

What did I do? I told my friends that if I stuck around any longer there would be an altercation, we called "check ben" and then went home. I see it frequently in LOS, tolerated guests taking it out on innocent local people.

The farang is the real idiot in the story because he should know that violence in LOS risks incarceration and deportation; in a way it makes wish there would be one big bar fight in every town across Thailand.

solution: don't drink in luna bar. its an overpriced shi*hole!!!

Agree with Mr Lob, it's a dodgy old cesspit of a place. As it is the only bar police allow to stay open late playing music it is always going to have drunken incidents like this. I think the Farang got off lightly. If he had acted in that way to some of the other Thai people in the bar then this could have ben a far worse story.

Anyway definitely way too expensive to whack anyone with a bottle, small heineken sets you back about 300 Baht.

Use a coke bottle instead, or even splash out 100 Baht and use two for both of the piss-taking fools.

The farang should have kept his mouth shut, but the Doctor should have known better than hitting him over the head with a bottle. He's a doctor for crying out.

.....He is also a Thai, the bottle treatment is a given when anyone gets pass 1 & 2 with a Thai man or women... and then they run like hel_l. :o

Give the doctor a medal and send the scummy farang back to Oz. Deport him! Dump the bitch in the nearest shit hole. The Aussie is probably a closet case anyway and should have his head parted to wake up. Why is it that Australia sends us its worst? These loud mouthed Aussie derelicts are all over Pattaya. Thailand does not need nor want them. But they are the darlings of the whores, the only people who pay any attention to them. The Lady Boys love them also but only until they have emptied their wallets and punched them out. The Lady Boys get the last laugh and the Aussie gets the street. Bah! Humbug!

Ijustwannateach
"…foreigner's response to flirtation…

How do you know there was any flirtation?

This has been an interesting exercise about a real life event. From someone who knows the facts it is curious too to see how some posters here misinterpret, read something into something that is not there and are very quick to judge, coming to completely erroneous conclusions. But we had a lot of fun doing it. Thanks!

Also not many here answered my original questions intended to stimulate debate:

According to your first post, which is what I was responding to,
His eyes sweep the room and he catches the eye of a rather large 25-30yo male farang, seemingly intoxicated, sitting at a table with his Thai "female friend" who had also had a few. The farang feels threatened about being looked at

which sounds like a perceived flirtation (otherwise why the feeling of threat?).

Since you have taken a challenging stance towards our comments, may I ask what your angle on this is? Where is your information coming from? Were you there? Is there any independent corroborration that this ever happened? Why was it that you had to change the story, if you "know the facts?" Why are you challenging posters for their "misinterpretation" when your own comments are, by your own admission, unreliable?

If this thread is just intended for some kind of mindgame-playing, then you are trolling and your shelflife here will be short.

Well, we are considering a relaxation of the rules about discussing bar girls and bar boys...

That's good news, PB! :o

...If I had been the slim, young, gay Thai doctor? Wow, that is hypothetical! :D ...

Hey! One out of five ain't bad! :D

(I scored zero.)

Ijustwannateach wrote:

According to your first post, which is what I was responding to,

His eyes sweep the room and he catches the eye of a rather large 25-30yo male farang, seemingly intoxicated, sitting at a table with his Thai "female friend" who had also had a few. The farang feels threatened about being looked at

which sounds like a perceived flirtation (otherwise why the feeling of threat?).

Since you have taken a challenging stance towards our comments, may I ask what your angle on this is? Where is your information coming from? Were you there? Is there any independent corroborration that this ever happened? Why was it that you had to change the story, if you "know the facts?" Why are you challenging posters for their "misinterpretation" when your own comments are, by your own admission, unreliable?

If this thread is just intended for some kind of mindgame-playing, then you are trolling and your shelflife here will be short.

Your post has diverted from the intention of this thread so I will have only this to say: the only intended "angle" was to elicit responses from posters to my original questions. Read them. As such even if this account was totally fictitious (which it is not) or a completely theoretical scenario your questions demanding 'fact checkers' and 'sources' is totally irrelevant it has no bearing on the intention. Do you demand this from every anecdote someone may post? My 'challenging' stance to comments, as you put it, is in response to rather curious erroneous assumptions by some posters, as already stated, reading things that are simply not there. I have not "changed the story": the information comes from an extremely reliable source. Everything in both the 'synopsis' and more 'detailed' account happened with the exception that I corrected that farang was taken to the police station first not the hospital. As more information came to light I included an update. Yes you may be correct: the Australian "perceived a flirtation" or possibly just didn't like the idea of a gay man looking at him. But in any case that is quite different from your assertion that actual flirtation took place.

Finally yes this post is a mind game: to get people to think about the situation and what they may have done in a similar situation. May I put this question to you: If you are gay and you are verbally abused because of your sexuality would you ignore the source of abuse or make a stand?

Edited by zackxx