Dive Asia Boat Sinks Off Phuket

Apecks

Hope they can find the missing six people!

http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=7142

http://phuketwan.com/tourism/phang-nga-sto...at-six-missing/

''With great sadness we have to inform you that our MV Dive Asia 1 sunk last night the 8th of March at around 11pm on the way back from Similan to Phuket.

''To our knowledge most of our guest and crew were able to get into the life raft and where picked up by a fishing boat around noon.

''Right now this people are being transferred to a Thai Police Vessel and are on the way to shore and should arrive soon.

''Six people are still missing and a search in the area is underway. Your support is greatly appreciated. [The figure was subsequently revised to seven]

''At this moment we do not know the reason for the accident and we will keep you posted

Edited by Apecks

We just came back from a dive trip with Dive Asia 1. The boat looked new to us, but was overbooked by 50%. If there really was no EPIRB then there should be a criminal investigation. Due to our knowledge the owners are German - they should know was SAFETY means. We hope that our suspicion is wrong. Michael&Made, Bali

We just came back from a dive trip with Dive Asia 1. The boat looked new to us, but was overbooked by 50%. If there really was no EPIRB then there should be a criminal investigation. Due to our knowledge the owners are German - they should know was SAFETY means. We hope that our suspicion is wrong. Michael&Made, Bali

I contacted a local dive operator in Kao Lak who has used this boat in past.

He states the boat was new - some 6 months old.

From the given information, the following questions ought to be answered.

1. What stability calculations were carried out.

2. What EPIRB'S fitted and how many

3. How many total people on board.

4. Location of the passengers at the time of the incident - this would impact the stability of the vessel

5. With a sqall coming in - what were the captains actions - did he warn the passengers?

6. Did the captain take action to manouver his vessel to face the squall in an effort to "Ride it out" rather than take it beam on?

As a mariner for some 30 years and a diver for 20 years I will be following this tragedy with more questions.

God help the poor missing divers.

Edited by Johnmacs

There is some uncertainty as to if the Thai Navy have EPIRB! Certainly looks like it was a long time before anyone realised the boat had a problem :o

The boat was new this season, and not used by anybody else but Dive Asia. So that local dive operator has NOT used this boat in the past.

The boat was new this season, and not used by anybody else but Dive Asia. So that local dive operator has NOT used this boat in the past.

Correction to my phrasing : The dive operator has sent divers on board on either day trips or as liveaboard during the boats operation.

Hi,

I have been diving with Dive Asia for about ten years, and I have always thought they were one of the top operators in Phuket. The boats are well maintained, well manned, up to code - and I have never seen any overbooking on many a dive trip.

People are rightly shocked at this tragedy, but let's not start pointing fingers. Accidents do happen.

Regards,

Glenn