Went along to the UK/VAC at Regent house today. Mrs JYY has had two previous visas to the UK, this time the only difference to the application is that we are now married.

We took along all the documents that were asked for on the checklist, and then some more, all accompanied with copies.

Mrs JYY went inside, I was told to wait outside. Mrs JYY came out after about 15 mins with a worried look on her face. They told her that they need a copy of MY passport. <deleted>. I had already given them copies of the marriage documents and all my Thai and English bank accounts. Told her to go back in and tell them it couldn't be done, and if they insisted, then they should allow me to enter, and speak to them.

It all ended okay, and she should get the visa in a few day's, but, what are they playing at? The visa wasn't for me.

We all complain about the Thai immigration service, at Suan Plu, but the UK one isn't much better.

Went along to the UK/VAC at Regent house today. Mrs JYY has had two previous visas to the UK, this time the only difference to the application is that we are now married.

We took along all the documents that were asked for on the checklist, and then some more, all accompanied with copies.

Mrs JYY went inside, I was told to wait outside. Mrs JYY came out after about 15 mins with a worried look on her face. They told her that they need a copy of MY passport. <deleted>. I had already given them copies of the marriage documents and all my Thai and English bank accounts. Told her to go back in and tell them it couldn't be done, and if they insisted, then they should allow me to enter, and speak to them.

It all ended okay, and she should get the visa in a few day's, but, what are they playing at? The visa wasn't for me.

We all complain about the Thai immigration service, at Suan Plu, but the UK one isn't much better.

Just one of the bizarre hoops you have to jump through to play the game. When we submitted my wife's fiance visa application I included both colour and black & white copies of the relevant pages of my passport. She was given a phone interview and they asked her to get me to fax a copy of my passport to them. I have no idea why, they already had copies.

From spouse visa document checklist.

5. Certified copy of spouse/civil partner’s passport as evidence that he/she is British or is settled in the UK

So VFS are not at fault for asking for it; you are at fault for not providing it.

VFS must, and in this case apparently did, accept an application and forward it to the embassy when documents are missing if the applicant insists, but as it says on the check list

If you choose only to provide some of the above documentation you must sign the following declaration:

I have been advised to provide the above-mentioned documents but I intend to submit my application with limited documents ticked in this checklist. I understand that failure to provide the other documents may result in the refusal of my application.

(MY emphasis)

My wife was applying for a visa to visit England, for 6 months. We used form VAF 1A.

I have just re-read the guidance notes and the supporting documents checklist, and Nowhere, does it say I should supply my passport plus copies.

Indeed, when Mrs JYY came out, the person she had been dealing with gave her another checklist, and had highlighted, in red, that the Passport should be shown, but it required her passport, not mine.

7by7, Your information is for a Wife/Spouse Settlement Visa, and is not relevant.

Before you go off on 7by7 you might want to double check the check list, which clearly states a copy of the sponsors passport is required, I presume that as you have included bank statements that you have sponsored your wife. I have cut and pasted the relevant paragraph from the check list for social vists, though I would have thought that a spouse visa would have been more appropriate.

Sponsored visits – If another person/a company is sponsoring your trip we must see the following documents- letter from the sponsor, a copy of their passport which include the biodata and all immigration record pages, their bank statements for the last 6 months or company registration and bank statements

I hear many complaints about VFS but it seems in this case they were trying to be helpful, they apparently pointed out that a copy of your passport was needed and when you didn't supply it they sent off the application anyway.

Well that's my take on it, that said I wish your wife every success with her application.

Edited by theoldgit

Hi Oldgit,

Apologies to you and 7by7, if you thought I was going "off on one", I wasn't.

I live with my wife, in Bangkok. The reason for me showing my bank details was not to act as a sponsor, but more to show that we are a couple, with shared bank A/C's in Thailand and the UK. We showed documents to prove that my wife has her own independant income and assets in Thailand.

The Wife/Spouse form that 7by7 was referring to say's Settlement. We only want to go to the UK for a 2week holiday.

Thank's for your good wishes. :o

No probs, I am about to go through the same with my live in Thai girlfriend, of course as we have lived together for 18 months we don't write, email or telephone each other. I am providing photos and passport stamps of our five trips overseas, letters from her employer and adult education college as well as my bank statements, as I am sponsoring her, as well as details of our rented condo which is in both our names. And whilst a return ticket isn't a guarantee I will stick a copy in as well as our itinerary and letters from friends we will be staying with as well as hotel reservations, I will also stick in a copy of our ticket to Bali after our return to Thailand.

I think she has a strong case but it is subject to the whims and mood of the ECO on the day.

Anyway let's know how your wife gets on.

Edited by theoldgit

Sounds like you've got a strong case. Having been through the process twice before, can I suggest you make sure she knows details about your family, ie parents names, childrens names, where do they live, your birthday, where and when did you meet, stuff like that. Remember, she will be in there on her own, you will be pacing up and down outside, like an expectant father.

Good luck with the application.

The Wife/Spouse form that 7by7 was referring to say's Settlement. We only want to go to the UK for a 2week holiday.

My apologies, I assumed from your OP that your wife was now applying for settlement.

However, Spouse of British citizen (based in Thailand) going to UK for visit:

A copy of UK spouse/partner's passport which include the biodata and all immigration record pages

I live in Thailand with my wife. She has had three visit visas to the UK and we had to supply copies of my passport each time. I agree that on the application form there's no mention of supplying a copy of your passport but if you go the ukvac website http://www.ukvac-th.com/documents.aspx and click on the spouse visit checklist document it clearly states that a copy of your passport is required (no.6).

It should be on this link. VisitSpouseOfUKCitizen_BasedInThailand_.pdf

Told her to go back in and tell them it couldn't be done

That really wouldn't help your application at all. The process is delicate enough without you telling them something "can't be done". :o

I appreciate that there's a lot of red tape/hoops to consider but when they ask you to jump. you jump!

As the good/helpful people that give advice here have said - it's a requirement, spouse/visitor whatever. They want to see YOUR movements in relation to time spent with your partner in Thailand/where ever.

A natural assumption as I believe foreign nationals in Thailand are supposed to carry their passports with them at all times. (I know, no one actually does!)

It may be that the ECO, given her history, will simply issue it anyway, or contact you and ask for a copy of your passport, or they could simply refuse.

I suggest that you contact them and ask if they want to see it.

BTW, the reason they want to see it is to check your status in Thailand; that you are legally resident and so can/will be returning.

Edited by 7by7

As theoldgit says, alls well that ends well. Enjoy the trip.

It appears in this case that the applicant's visa history has served her well.

However, always remember that the burden of proof lies with the applicant and it is their responsibility to ensure all the required documents are supplied. The ECO will sometimes contact the applicant or sponsor if a document is missing, but is under no obligation to pursue any missing evidence and can simply refuse if something is missing.