Jasmine(tt&t) Wages Broadband Price War

medegen

Jasmine wages broadband price war

By: Bangkokpost.com Jasmine International Plc, the parent of the provincial fixed-line telephone provider TT&T, has sparked a broadband price war with the introduction of a 3-megabit internet service for 590 baht a month.

The company plans to invest 3 billion baht to expand its internet provision by 300,000 ports nationwide over the next two years, bringing its broadband coverage up to 80% from 60% of the population. Currently, it has 500,000 ports in the provinces plus 100,000 in Bangkok.

CEO Pete Bodharamik said Jasmine expects the number of its broadband subscribers to reach 700,000 by the end of this year, from 400,000 last year.

I'm canceling True as soon as this comes out. Who else?

Edited by sbk

Very recently (within the past week) my B1,000/month 4Mbps TT&T MaxNet Indy connection was bumped up to 5Mbps. I like these silent upgrades, but don't understand why TT&T doesn't announce them.

Last night I was downloading a bunch of Linux updates and noticed the transfer was often at 545kB/sec, so checked my modem stats, and sure enough, the download stream now is 5120kbps.

I just called Maxnet and asked if they cover my area, Sukhumvit 53. They said they cover Thonglor, which is Sukhumvit 55. How disappointing!

BTW, do not expect an English speaker to answer despite pressing 9 for English. Their call center seems a little shoddy. Hope their service is better. Would love to dump True.

It's now on their website, and indeed, all Indy packages have 1 Mb downspeed extra...

Anyone knows if they will do something similar for the Premier packages ? I'm wondering a bit if it's still worthwhile to pay more for a lower (theoretical) speed :o

Yes, what is the deal with premier and Indy tt&t packages? I have the 2mb package @1380 baht/month, when I asked about the faster/cheaper Indy packages...the assistant wouldn't reply. I live on the Darkside and it took years for me to get adsl, so I was just happy to get something above 52k....Why is Indy cheaper? What are the disadvantages if any?

Very recently (within the past week) my B1,000/month 4Mbps TT&T MaxNet Indy connection was bumped up to 5Mbps. I like these silent upgrades, but don't understand why TT&T doesn't announce them.

Last night I was downloading a bunch of Linux updates and noticed the transfer was often at 545kB/sec, so checked my modem stats, and sure enough, the download stream now is 5120kbps.

What??? My 800 something baht 1GB True connection only gets about 130k-270k speeds most of the time. Where do I sign up for TT&T ???

Why is Indy cheaper? What are the disadvantages if any?

Off the top of my head: Indy has higher contention ratio (more users sharing a connection) and I know when I first signed up several years VoIP and torrents were either blocked or restricted (throttled?) in some manner on Indy, but not on Premier.

Again, relying on memory (Warning!), I think the Indy platform has 40 users sharing, whereas Premier has 10?

That said, I have been very pleased with using Indy. But, I'm a night owl and I tend to be online at night when others are offline, in bed sleeping.

Yes, what is the deal with premier and Indy tt&t packages? I have the 2mb package @1380 baht/month, when I asked about the faster/cheaper Indy packages...the assistant wouldn't reply. I live on the Darkside and it took years for me to get adsl, so I was just happy to get something above 52k....Why is Indy cheaper? What are the disadvantages if any?

The Indy package is designed for traffic within Thailand, and bittorrent and Voip are throttled. This is not the case with Premier, and you are supposed to have more "international bandwith". When I changed from Indy to Premier, it was certainly true, but I wonder if this is still the case... at least I read less complaints from Indy users here as one year ago. So the question is : is a 2 Mb Premier package at thb 1080 really better as a 5 Mb Indy one at thb 1000 ????

This is a good news. But I am not changing to them. The more people move to the new ISP, the better speed I will have with my old TRUE :D And maybe the lesser price. :o

I've been changing ISP since I started using Internet in Thailand. I learned one lesson - They all su(k-

The Indy package is designed for traffic within Thailand, and bittorrent and Voip are throttled. This is not the case with Premier, and you are supposed to have more "international bandwith".

I am specifically looking at the Premier service, for the reasons you stated, plus I see that you get 1054 upload speed which is great for gaming.

I am specifically looking at the Premier service, for the reasons you stated, plus I see that you get 1054 upload speed which is great for gaming.

I would quite happily have signed up, but sadly I am apparently just 100 meters too far away to get access! Sukhumvit 55 covered, Sukhumvit 53 not! :o

The Indy package is designed for traffic within Thailand, and bittorrent and Voip are throttled. This is not the case with Premier, and you are supposed to have more "international bandwith". When I changed from Indy to Premier, it was certainly true, but I wonder if this is still the case... at least I read less complaints from Indy users here as one year ago. So the question is : is a 2 Mb Premier package at thb 1080 really better as a 5 Mb Indy one at thb 1000 ????

I sm perfectly happy with 2Mb Premier. Another free 1Mb would be nice though....but I will never switch back to Indy!

What??? My 800 something baht 1GB True connection only gets about 130k-270k speeds most of the time. Where do I sign up for TT&T ???

I'm with ya and would dump TRUE in a second if I knew of a more reliable company. Also I'm "bumped" off line repeatedly. Sometimes as fast as I can log back on I'm thrown off again. GEEZE I'll tell ya.

cheers,

K

I'm with ya and would dump TRUE in a second if I knew of a more reliable company. Also I'm "bumped" off line repeatedly. Sometimes as fast as I can log back on I'm thrown off again.

This is going off-topic, but can you borrow a different modem to test the connection?

My TT&T connection kept dropping, usuallly between 30 and 45 minutes after connecting, and someone told me to try a different modem and voila! I stay connected for days at a time now. (Not to say the connection is dropped then. I turn off the modem.)

In your case, check to see if it's really True that is the problem, or your local piece of hardware.