Driving From Pattaya To Buriram

The title and description say it all!

I'm going to be driving from Pattaya to Buriram this weekend and just wondered if anyone had any experience/advice on the quickest/most convienent route to get there?

I was thinking of either taking the motorways via Nakhon Ratchasima (Roads 7,9,1,2 etc... ) or taking the cross country route (Roads 36, 311, 304, 24 etc...) Via Nangrong.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dis.

The highway route is much faster, even through the cross country roads are being widened from the single lanes of some years ago. The only 'difficult' section if going cross-country is the mountain range after Kabinburi on the 304, that can be slow if there are trucks running in convoy ahead of you - and many of them will be DoubleA (aA?) bulk paper carriers.

Expect some police check points on the smaller roads, covered in other 'road trip' threads.

If doing a night drive (be aware of sunrise/sunset times) consider that gas stations are not open very late in some rural areas.

I would expect that on the highway it will take about 6 hours if you 'make progress' rather than drive too slowly. Cross country will be about 10 allowing for traffic bottle necks and sections of road where speed it limited by traffic, repairs or other obstacles.

If you are new to Thai Roads - I suggest that you take the Highway route up, after spending some time observing other road users you will be better equiped for rural roads and maybe take the cross country route back - at a relaxed pace.

Take a few hotel contact numbers with you - in case you need to stop over night enroute - for whatever reason.

HTH.

I would take the 36, 331, 304 to 24 right onto 24 at Pakthongchai straight east to 218 up to Buriram city.

The highway up the mountain is now all new 4 lane. So basically the road from 36 all the way to Khorat is 4 lane.

I know they widened 24 to a nice road a year or so ago.

So IMHO that's the way to go.

I just got off the phone with a Canuck friend that drives north that way frequently to north of Khorat somewhere and only takes him about 6 hours. He said that 331-304 is very good and easy to drive. There is a small stretch on the climb up the KhaoYai that is not finished (5-10km) but it still is easy driving. He mentioned a couple of police check points in that area also. He said 24 over to Buriram is also very nice and easy. So I'm sure getting to Buriram is about the same.

He was stopped at one checkpoint and asked for his bluebook and could not show it so cost 200 baht. He owns the truck and has 5 year license.

Recommend carry a copy of book, copy of insurance, and road tax paperwork as well as your ID

I would take the 36, 331, 304 to 24 right onto 24 at Pakthongchai straight east to 218 up to Buriram city.

The highway up the mountain is now all new 4 lane. So basically the road from 36 all the way to Khorat is 4 lane.

I know they widened 24 to a nice road a year or so ago.

So IMHO that's the way to go.

I just got off the phone with a Canuck friend that drives north that way frequently to north of Khorat somewhere and only takes him about 6 hours. He said that 331-304 is very good and easy to drive. There is a small stretch on the climb up the KhaoYai that is not finished (5-10km) but it still is easy driving. He mentioned a couple of police check points in that area also. He said 24 over to Buriram is also very nice and easy. So I'm sure getting to Buriram is about the same.

He was stopped at one checkpoint and asked for his bluebook and could not show it so cost 200 baht. He owns the truck and has 5 year license.

Recommend carry a copy of book, copy of insurance, and road tax paperwork as well as your ID

Good post/advice. Thats the route I always use

:o

Dave

I agree.

The route towards Korat is becoming wider but will take some time before it is 4 lanes all the way.

Again, beware of the Police,,as usual once you see them its too late anyway, so dont be tempted to cross over the double lines in the centre of the road ,trying to overtake trucks that travel at 1 kph.

I did and it cost me 500 B.

Nice scenery.

Have a good trip.