Where To Have A Drink?

oysters

Hi everyone!

I was just wondering where most of you guys go for a drink these days?

I met erwin many years ago when he opened bos place and i was fortunate to be there at the time of its closing and meet quite a few of the locals who had come for the party even though erwin had already gone home.

Anyway i will be up in chiang rai on the 30th and i would like to catch up with a few people if they are still around like limbo dee rob and stewart etc and have a nice cold one with you guys.I know many people come and go but i hope to catch up with some of you guys.

Thanks.

Bryan from Sydney

Early evening people like to go to Ricco´s in Chiang Rai beach but he is closing Friday. But rumours say he is taking over Chiang Rai Corner, just opposite Chiang Rai Condo Hotel. Hopefully he will open maybe Saturday?

PS Guesthouse is the place Sunday afternoons.

Reggie Bar has moved maybe 100 m to the little soi where Top !0, the Italian Pizza and some other places are.

That´s all Iknow!

:o:D:D

Is bo,s place still going or has it changed name?

I also heard there is a pub out near the big C where expats have a drink.

Anyway there is always jetyod and later behind the night bizzare.

I am bound to catch up with a few old heads somewhere along the way

Is bo,s place still going or has it changed name?

I also heard there is a pub out near the big C where expats have a drink.

Anyway there is always jetyod and later behind the night bizzare.

I am bound to catch up with a few old heads somewhere along the way

Bo´s has changed name, noone there, not even tourists.

On Jetyod you probably will find no expats but maybe some tourists/backpackers.

As I said before, in Reggie Bar (when it is open :D ) you will find some expats.

But Chiang Rai Corner is a good bet!

:D:o:D

I personally prefer the yellow table area in the Night Bazaar. Plenty of fair priced beer and tasty Thai grub, good people watching, and I can choose my own company. I very rarely frequent bars, as I find them smoky, over-priced and a lot of the customers consist of bores and alcoholics. There are exceptions of course and i don't wish to offend any TVers who I'm sure are a charming lot of people.

Yesterday I had a beer (or two) at Rico´s and that was the last day he was open.

BUT, 1:st of April, April Fools Day, Rico will have a Grand Opening of his new place, the old Chiang Rai Corner.

I don´t know if he will change the name of the place but if I understand it right, it will be both restaurant and a bar.

Yesterday I had a beer (or two) at Rico´s and that was the last day he was open.

BUT, 1:st of April, April Fools Day, Rico will have a Grand Opening of his new place, the old Chiang Rai Corner.

I don´t know if he will change the name of the place but if I understand it right, it will be both restaurant and a bar.

Where exactly is the old chiang Rai corner ? It rings a bell but I just can't recall it

Location?

As I said in my first post, opposite Chiang Rai Condo Hotel!

If you cannot figure that out, then you are not that thirsty!

:D:D:D

Svenivan could have been a horrible mean person if he would have wanted to be, as this posting makes clear.

Just ignore him for the time being! You probably will meet him at Ricco's anyhow.

Let's start with the new big golden clocktower of Chalermchai Kositpipat that is erected on exactly the same place were before the old one stood.

The old one is now moved to the little square at the market close to the Post Office.

Walking towards Goldy Tic-Tac coming from the Yedyod Street you take to the left.

You pass the Suknirand Hotel, several small restaurants and shops, a seven/11 and a DK bookshop before arriving at the next traffic light.

You go straight on, passing the big Saen Phu Hotel and after that the even bigger Sammakhe Wittayakom School.

The road turns not much further to the right (in the corner is a little bridge, leading to the former legendary Ya-house) and a little bit

further just before the next trafic light you will see the Lek House at your left. This point is called Pratu (gate) Chiang Mai, as the Rayotha Rd that goes to the left actually is the old road to Chiang Mai.

Again you go straight on, pass the Chinese optrician and the new Morning Dew Inn and you will see the big Condotel, where all these lovely mia-nois live (and some 'farang' as well). On the left corner is the new 'Ricco's' or the Chiang Rai Corner.

On behalve of Ricco: Welcome!

Much simpler: follow the road eastwards from the clocktower untill you arrive at the T-crossing after about one kilometer. There it is, hehehe...

Limbo :o

Svenivans not wrong. I just prefer to be spoonfed ;-)

I knew I'd seen it. Brilliant location its just an hop, skip & a Jump from where I drop the Kids for Ballet on the old Chiang mai road. Hope he's going to be open Lunchtimes. Drop the Kids off, persuade the wife to go and have her haircut (not going to be difficult) and I'm a free man.

Last time i was there for the closing of bos and the opening of i cannot think of the bars name down jetyod rd.

This i will be there the day before riccos opening.Seems to be alot of oepning and closing of bars in chiang rai.

Anyway i arrive on the 30th so i might just wander down for a cold one.

Good to see limbo is still a wealth of infomation.Hows life on the river mate?

Bryan

Is the Baitong still running..?

No Rinrada,

For along time there was a massage in it, then a travel agency, then a massage again.

I think it is a massage still.

Last week I went with Ian's friend Reiner on a trip to Mae Sot and he told me Ian's

wife Noi was in town, more beautiful than ever!

As you remember it was Ian and Noi who set upp the place,

after they had together with Reiner a guesthouse close to Den Ha.

A pity that we don't hear of Australian Ken...

Take care,

Limbo

But if you are in that vicinity before April 1st and need a beverage to quench your thirst then you could go to the Thai restaurant about 50metres past the CRC, it's sign is in Thai but translates to 'Bang oh' I think. They open around 5.30pm and have lovely, cheap Thai food and great drink promotions, currently x3 large bottles of Chang Draught for a bargain basement price of 69baht! It was already my favourite number for obvious reasons but now there's another reason to like the number 69. Enjoy!

But if you are in that vicinity before April 1st and need a beverage to quench your thirst then you could go to the Thai restaurant about 50metres past the CRC, it's sign is in Thai but translates to 'Bang oh' I think. They open around 5.30pm and have lovely, cheap Thai food and great drink promotions, currently x3 large bottles of Chang Draught for a bargain basement price of 69baht! It was already my favourite number for obvious reasons but now there's another reason to like the number 69. Enjoy!

Been there, done that!

They say you have to be there at Happy hours, before 20.00.

BUT you have two options!

A: 3 large bottles of Chang Draught without ice will be 69 baht.

B: 3 large bottles of Chang Draught WITH ice will be 89 baht!

So I was there with a very good friend and we had a couple of the No-ice option for 69 baht.

(and together with some food because our better halves were with us)

When we got the Check bin they charged us 40 bath for ice and we said we had no ice.

The explanation was that if you choose option A then they will have a special charge for ice.

So we walked away with two plastic bags of ice for the next frozen Marguerita.

But 89 baht is still a very good price for 3 large bottle of Chang Draught!

Edited by svenivan

Who cares??

You'll find the same women, men wherever you go. What's the point?

We care.

The thread is a Chiang Rai thread, about where to have a drink, not an existential observation about the pointless futility and angst of it all.

So F1fanatic, do you have a suggestion for a good place for a drink in Chiang Rai?

As you appear to live in Phuket..... :o

Who cares??

You'll find the same women, men wherever you go. What's the point?

I spent 15 minutes to read F1fanatic´s latest 15 posts and that was very interesting reading.

If someone else do, he will be surprised what to find.

And then understand F1fanatics post!

I feel the same way about motor cars driving around in pointless circles as he does about bars. :o

I think F1fanatic is actually a she from what I read. Maybe she's been in Phuket too long which is why she has the attitude towards western men and Thai women that she does but I have the same question for her as I do for everyone else who has nothing good to say about Thailand and her inhabitants whether Thai or expat....Why do you live here?

She should also realise that places like Phuket, Pattaya etc are very different to the rest of Thailand, and so are the people who live there, maybe she should get away from Phuket (does she even like Phuket?) and see the real Thailand, meet real Thai people and also understand that not all expats living here are like the sexpats and sex tourists that she sees in Phuket.

I think F1fanatic is actually a she from what I read. Maybe she's been in Phuket too long which is why she has the attitude towards western men and Thai women that she does but I have the same question for her as I do for everyone else who has nothing good to say about Thailand and her inhabitants whether Thai or expat....Why do you live here?

She should also realise that places like Phuket, Pattaya etc are very different to the rest of Thailand, and so are the people who live there, maybe she should get away from Phuket (does she even like Phuket?) and see the real Thailand, meet real Thai people and also understand that not all expats living here are like the sexpats and sex tourists that she sees in Phuket.

Good post!

Phuket, Pattaya, Krabi etc etc is not what we call "the real Thailand". Thai people going there to work does not have the same attitude as they have living in their "own village".

They are at these places for one thing: Make as much money as possible in a short time as possible.

And single, older western women living in Thailand might be a little bit "bitter" because they might find it hard to find a new relationship here in "Smiling Thailand"!

But there are a lot of dogs to take care of!

Goski, 1000 posts! Where did they come from? In only 3 years! I must have nothing better to do than sitting here writing <deleted> in TV!

I hope the next 1000 will take at least 10 years and I know many will agree! :D

Good post!

Phuket, Pattaya, Krabi etc etc is not what we call "the real Thailand". Thai people going there to work does not have the same attitude as they have living in their "own village".

They are at these places for one thing: Make as much money as possible in a short time as possible.

And single, older western women living in Thailand might be a little bit "bitter" because they might find it hard to find a new relationship here in "Smiling Thailand"!

But there are a lot of dogs to take care of!

:D:o:wai:

Goski, 1000 posts! Where did they come from? In only 3 years! I must have nothing better to do than sitting here writing <deleted> in TV!

I hope the next 1000 will take at least 10 years and I know many will agree! :D

Don`t be too hard on yourself Sven. Not all of your 1000 posts were <deleted>. :D:D

C35B.

Don`t be too hard on yourself Sven. Not all of your 1000 posts were <deleted>. :D:D

C35B.

35Baht is absolutely right! There were actually some very good ones among them. :D:D

Limbo :o

To support Goski in his heroic fight against the intake of too many alcoholic refreshments (Yes Goski, THIS is the thread for it:

here we find out targetgroup!), I would like to ask your attention for this 70 year old very illuminating poster with the

edifying advice "whatever you choose, don't choose the alcohol".

post-6305-1237515811_thumb.jpg