Cattle On Thailand Roads

barrybankruad

I dare say that this topic has been brought up before but where does a vehicle driver stand if he collides with a cow? Last weekend I struck a cow a glancing blow with my vehicle, fortunately the damage was minimal. I have heard that that if you collide with a beast on a bitumised road the owner of the animal is responsible for damage/repairs, but if you hit one on an unmade gravel country road then the driver is responsible.

I have also heard that it is permissible to herd cattle along a main road at certain times, early morning and dusk provided the cattle are supervised (not so in my case of course).

Does anyone know the legal position and can they enlighten me?

Well, where I come from, in Idaho, U.S.A., cattle have the right of way in free range areas and if you hit one you are liable for any vet bills or compensation if the cow dies.

I know this is little help but I would bet the same principle applies.

I rather feel that the immediate ruling would be made by a policeman at the local police station. He would take into account expedience, i.e. who would be able to meet any costs levied on them and what would he do if said person could not or would not pay and the relative social position of each party taking into account the usual factors including ethnic background, wealth, connections, standing in the local community, educational qualifications, skin colour and job.

My wife's nephew hit a cow on his motorcy a few weeks ago, with a fair amount of damage to himself and the motorcy, the cow seemed to be OK tho.

His father was called and discussions commenced over compensation from the farmer. I was somewhat dubious as I assumed that the farmer would have no money. The nephew's father claimed the cow as compensation for the damage and the police became involved. The outcome was the farmer paid a few thousand baht as compensation.

I dare say that this topic has been brought up before but where does a vehicle driver stand if he collides with a cow? Last weekend I struck a cow a glancing blow with my vehicle, fortunately the damage was minimal. I have heard that that if you collide with a beast on a bitumised road the owner of the animal is responsible for damage/repairs, but if you hit one on an unmade gravel country road then the driver is responsible.

I have also heard that it is permissible to herd cattle along a main road at certain times, early morning and dusk provided the cattle are supervised (not so in my case of course).

Its straightforward - the owner of the animal is laible - period, end of story.

Herding cattle on public roads - it is permitted, but only on certain classes of roads and in certain areas (certainly not allowed on highways and motorways) - and yes, they have to be supervised: man in front with flag, man at back with flag ect ect ....... don't ask me the details, I don't know them off-hand.

Cetainly not disputing what Maizefarmer is saying but every time we head up to the house in Ayutthaya we always come across cattle being grazed in the central reservation of the highway up by Bang Pa Ha. Never seen the BIB try and move them on.

Never mind who is responsible, where my wife comes from, if you hit and kill a buffalo on the road, a relative with a pick-up is called with the utmost urgency to come and retrieve the said animal to take it away.It's amazing how much meat you can get from a buffalo.