Songkran In Bangkok

dudeyone

I have never experienced a Songkran festival before and I want to experience it all! Everything from A to Z! Man where should I start? Where to go, what to do, how to prepare? Do I buy a huge water gun? Do I shoot passing by motorbikes? Do I take a tuk tuk and spray innocent bystanders? I wanna shoot some farangs and white shirt ladies! Gosh I am so excited.

Oh dear...

I have never experienced a Songkran festival before and I want to experience it all! Everything from A to Z! Man where should I start? Where to go, what to do, how to prepare? Do I buy a huge water gun? Do I shoot passing by motorbikes? Do I take a tuk tuk and spray innocent bystanders? I wanna shoot some farangs and white shirt ladies! Gosh I am so excited.

khao san road (and about a mile in each direction surrounding it) is absolutely crazy for 5 days or so. the problem in bangkok is it is fun for one day, but coming up on the 5th day you start feeling murderous as there is really no way to avoid getting soaked and powdered unless you hide out in your house for the week.

khao san road (and about a mile in each direction surrounding it) is absolutely crazy for 5 days or so. the problem in bangkok is it is fun for one day, but coming up on the 5th day you start feeling murderous as there is really no way to avoid getting soaked and powdered unless you hide out in your house for the week.

Gives all the crusties a decent wash, I suppose...

What's it like on Sukhumwit?

Anyone know whether hotels stick their prices up?

dudeone.

re .... What to do, where to go, what to prepare?

What to do .....after 5 songkrans in ten years .... you stay in your room for a week

where to go ... nowhere .... you stay in your room for a week and organise your girlfreinds to visit you ( they get wet you dont )

what to prepare ... get in ... food . biscuits , tea bags , BEER . and a guarranteed access to the internet through 3 service providers ( in case two die on you ) and you stock up on anything your short of ( milk etc ) EARLY in the mornings and go back home and stay there

thats what you do ..... simple ..... songkran and the crazy ferangs doing it SUCKS ..... NOT a fan ! .... dave2

dudeone.

re .... What to do, where to go, what to prepare?

What to do .....after 5 songkrans in ten years .... you stay in your room for a week

where to go ... nowhere .... you stay in your room for a week and organise your girlfreinds to visit you ( they get wet you dont )

what to prepare ... get in ... food . biscuits , tea bags , BEER . and a guarranteed access to the internet through 3 service providers ( in case two die on you ) and you stock up on anything your short of ( milk etc ) EARLY in the mornings and go back home and stay there

thats what you do ..... simple ..... songkran and the crazy ferangs doing it SUCKS ..... NOT a fan ! .... dave2

:o soi 22 good place haven been in years Edited by yothai

Silom road is also a great place to celebrate Songkran which dispels the idea that all the crazy behaviour comes from Farangs. The majority of people here are Thais and you can even watch from the skytrain station (Sala Deeng) or the elevated walkway.

Watch out for pick-pockets though as a few of my friends have lost hand-phones in the crush!

• 3 weeks later...

I am in Bangkok for Songkran for work again this year, just 4 days from Sunday till Wednesday...

Last year I actually missed it by one day, I played water on the Saturday in Suk Soi4 and then Sunday in PhatPong until I had to leave for the airport... I hadn't laughed as much in years...

On the Saturday, all the water was put away about 6pm... What will it be like this year with the proper Songkran days??? Does the water get put away at 6pm and things go back to normal, or will I be sloshing around in wet clothes all night??? I like to head out and hit the pool bars at night... don't do the GoGo scene...

Do the pool bars in areas like Soi22 get in on the action as well...

I don't think I could deal with KhaoSan, but Cowboy, Nana, and PhatPong aren't really my scene either...

Any advice appreciated...

Cheers,

Daewoo

If you do want to have fun and enjoy it for the first time then I'd say avoid Khao San like the plague, It's just far too busy, you cannot move. Please, If you do have to go to Khao San, then take the minimal amount of money and leave all your bank cards and anything valuable to you at home. The pickpocketing that goes on down there over Songkran is rife.

Last year I went down to Central World, there's a large area at the front there were they have bands/DJ's playing. It was a far better experience and much more fun than Khao San.

A (Thai, female) friend of mine went to KSR a couple of years ago... whe said she was pushed here and there, felt up, had her clothes ripped, had trouble breathing, felt like she was going to pass out half the time, worried about being trampled .

She was really sad as it took her a long time to get there and felt scared and uncomfortable the whole time...

I am also a lot older than most of the backpackers that inhabit KSR, so would prefer something more suitable to someone of my senior years (35 :o )

Central World sounds good... I like that it is on the Skytrain, 'cause I try not to be on the roads over Songkran... 35,000 dead is a huge number...

Any other ideas???

Cheers,

Daewooh

A (Thai, female) friend of mine went to KSR a couple of years ago... whe said she was pushed here and there, felt up, had her clothes ripped, had trouble breathing, felt like she was going to pass out half the time, worried about being trampled .

She was really sad as it took her a long time to get there and felt scared and uncomfortable the whole time...

I am also a lot older than most of the backpackers that inhabit KSR, so would prefer something more suitable to someone of my senior years (35 :o )

Central World sounds good... I like that it is on the Skytrain, 'cause I try not to be on the roads over Songkran... 35,000 dead is a huge number...

Any other ideas???

Cheers,

Daewooh

first of all its not 35,000 dead, more like 1/10th of that.

other places, just keep in mind easy access to toilets and 'safe' zones. For me, I like cowboy cause I can duck inside the bar and dry out - easy access to beer and toilets.

Days for Stopping Accident Deaths

ThaiHealth and Royal Thai Police jointly launch “365 Days for Stopping Accident Deaths”

Aimed to decrease the death toll, asset losses and accidents by 40 percent

There is a significant statistical report showing that car accidents that happen every day are unrelated to festivals such as Songkran, rather are caused by drunk driving. No matter what the causes of drunkenness are, there are 12,000 deaths from car accidents a year or 33 cases a day which are almost five times higher than the number of deaths from crimes.

endquote

http://en.thaihealth.or.th/index.php?optio...33&Itemid=1

these are probably accurate figures.

I would still like to know if the water stops at night... I look forward to playing during the day, but don't want to get dressed to go out only to be drenched immediately...

Anyone...

Cheers,

Daewoo

Soi 7/1 can be okay ,, as there are no trucks going through and not so many people , as basically a dead end soi ,, Three bars there can be fun .. Boosan Bar , Blue lighting and PP Bar .. can always duck inside when things get hetic, .. and if you crave more , only short walk to Nana and Soi 6

Was there last year and had a good time,, :o

I think the water fun has gone too far.

Not fun anymore to walk around soaked.

Some people still like this, I dont judge them, as we all have different fun.

For the OP, whatever you do, or wherever you go, make sure you pack your mobile phone in a small plastic bag. Same with any papers you might be carrying in your pockets.

Believe me, you will be wet.

Have fun

:o

I would still like to know if the water stops at night...

Depends where you are/what kind of situation. Generally speaking, yes, it does stop at night, but there are no guarantees. Don't carry anything during Songkran you can't afford to have completely ruined, irrespective of the time.

Go to Tesco and get a box of zip-locks bags.... all sizes. I really enjoyed Silom last year, but as the sun went down it became a crush, not many farang which was good. So I think a combination of that and Suk this yr.

Oz

Don't carry anything during Songkran you can't afford to have completely ruined, irrespective of the time.

Easier said than done sometimes... I usually stay in a Hotel on Soi 4 (no not that one, or that one either, a small place that does good rooms for a reasonable price)... I had to leave at 2pm on the Sunday to the airport, hailing a Taxi, with all my luggage, dodging water from every direction... then change into my clothes for the flight in the cab... :o ...

Exactly why I decided I had to be in on the action for longer this time... heaven help anyone trying to make a dash to the airport if I spot them :D ...

Cheers,

Daewoo