Bangkok To Penang By Train

orang_utan

Knowing that the situation in south of thailand is still pretty unstable nowadays, am wondering if travelling to Penang from Bangkok by train is safe? has anyone done this recently?

:o

It doesn't travel thru the provinces where the problems are. It follows the other coast. I haven't done that trip in 15 years, but used to do visa runs back then via train. So I can't say what the train is like now. Used to get the "2nd class sleeper" and always tried for the lower bunk as the A/C blew in on the upper level and it was cold as **** in the upper bunk. The food on the train was crap, so brought my own "brown bag". Met some interesting people on those trips. Once met a guy who had been a session singer/guitarist in Los Angeles who had sung with James Brown. Also met an Aussie backpacker (female) who had been offered 30 chickens by a tribal elder in Borneo to become his wife. Apparently that was considered a really good price.

If there has been no improvement in train in 15 years (TIT) train might be pretty dilapidated by now?

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

In general it should be more safe than bus travel but Hat Yai station has seen a few bomb blasts in the past (long before current troubles) and track is probably still in need of improvement. Trains did improve for 2nd class a few years ago with the purchase of new carriages which are much quieter and provide lager lower berths. Food has always been by contract and varied - but seldom up to normal Thai standards.

With todays airline price to Penang it hardly seems cost effective but if you have never done it probably a nice change (although most of the trip this time of year will be at night.

Just come back from penang by train and there's no problem at all. Be careful for the hawkers that sell their wares on the train: i saw one farang guy get charged 50 bht for a 10bht carton of noodles, and he bought three as well. Also, there's a new lady immigration officer at padang besar, and she's very attractive and gives you a big smile when you go - not like the other men officers, who are as miserable as fck. She also a newbie, and not checking the passports and visas that carefully, so if you think you may have problems, jump in her lane - you can't miss her. :o:D

If you like a drink be warned that the stewards tend to vanish around 8-10PM so take your own booze supply as well.

If you are like me and need to get pissed before you sleep on a train it pays to get the stewards onside.

Even if you don't buy food on the train, buy a few drinks from them and give them a nice tip then they'll make sure the booze keeps on flowing until they turn in and then you can start on your own reserves!

I love that trip and have done it a fair few times just for the ###### of it!!

The train trip to Penang is pretty safe am sure, never had any problems in the past.

When I travel on the sleepers I usually go to the buffet bar, meet loads of different people there, I have never sat alone for long. Last time I met three guys (Thai) who were all travelling seperately, each one sitting in a different seat, after a few beers one joined me who could speak a little english, within an hour the other two were over and we had a good laugh, drank a few bottles of Sangsom (only the little fella's) and had a bite to eat. I think when your travelling its good to have company as the time flies by.

Take the train once in a while, you get to meet different people and generally its a good experience, sure beats the bus, where people recline their chairs right onto your kneecaps! :o

Just a couple of events gleaned from the newspaper and involving the not-so-distant-past:

SOUTHERN UNREST: Rail lines hit by three bombs

Published on Dec 10, 2004

Security tightened on trains between Hat Yai, border

Security forces in the deep South were yesterday placed on red alert to protect south-bound trains, enabling services to resume hours after three early morning bomb explosions in Songkhla, Yala and Pattani that caused minor damage to the tracks but no casualties.

“Security details will be on board every train and advance security teams will make checks of the track before the passing of every train,” southern security commander General Sirichai Thunyasiri said.

Chitsanti said he believed the three home-made bombs were planted to attack passenger trains but went off prematurely after track inspection cars ran over and detonated them.

Every engine carriage will be installed with a transparent armour shield to protect it from gunfire.

The security blanket covers all tracks between Hat Yai and the border with Malaysia.

Trains get armed security after shooting death

Published on Apr 25, 2004

Troops will be deployed at railway stations and on trains running between Hat Yai and the deep South in response to safety concerns, following the gunning down of a railway employee, which led workers to stage a one-day strike.

and uhmmm.... enjoy your trip?! :o

Edited by sriracha john