Famous Global Gays You Have Met Personally

Jingthing

Have you met some famous gay people, at the very least shook their hand and exchanged a few words? A random sighting doesn't count nor does seeing them in a concert, act in a play or give a speech.

The idea of this is just for fun and also maybe we can hear about different famous gays in different countries that we may have never heard of. So when you drop their name, explain why they are famous.

The famous gays I have met list:

Harvey Milk, murdered martyr and the first openly gay person elected to public office in California, considered a kind of gay Martin Luther King for his charisma, eloquence, and the fact that he was the victim of a political murder.

Franklin Kameny, a historic figure who will go down in history as one the fathers of the US gay rights movement, "one of the most significant figures in the American gay rights movement" and founder of the Mattachine Society, the first openly gay candidate for the U.S. Congress. He is now 84.

http://www.rainbowhistory.org/kameny.htm

What famous gays have you met? Not limited to politicos of course.

I'm a bit late on this, but am surprised there aren't a few more well known names. Always the bridesmaid....I slept for some time with someone who'd slept with Peter Allen and got to kiss after a dinner at my apartment a former driver/boyfriend of Elton John's (one of the cutest guys on the planet, not surprisingly, who many years later sold his story to a trashy mag). And the night I met my first ever boyfriend - 40 years ago now - I knocked back (as one would) Sir Robert Helpmann.

Would it be indiscreet to mention knowing some 'famous' Thai gays?

Not through personal contact! But through catching them doing what they ought not to be doing in various hotel / gym saunas around town.

Oh, and met both Graham Norton and Boy George when I lived in Shanghai. Also Samantha Fox and Vivienne Westwood at the same time, but they're not famous gays.

Edited by tlongdon

I've danced with George Michael in London, and had dinner with Thonchai McIntyre in Bangkok. Not sure if this counts but when I was with my first boyfriend, he had an affair with Jean Paul Gaultier. As for Molly Meldrun, mentioned in a post above, didn't know he was so famous - he sold Molly's jump which became Balcony.

I chatted with Darren Hayes on a flight from Bangkok. That was before I knew he was gay. Had I known, our interaction might have gone differently.

I've had brief affairs with some "minor celebrities" -- a famous Japanese artist, a US state senator (a campaign romance -- they *never* work out....), and a well-known doctor in Los Angeles, but for their sake (they're not entirely "out"), I will simply smile and remember.

I have said a quick hello to Molly Meldrum, the used to be music guru, on 3 separte occasions in Silom (soi 4 ) area. On each of those times I noticed him cringe a little. Maybe he should wear a mask when he travels to Thailand.

I used to work ocassionaly with John Stamford (Spartacus Guide), strange man; I think he died in prison in Belgium.

Then I met several times Pasteur Douzé who founded a Gay Church in Paris; he was found slained in a forest.

I met Pedro Almodovar when he was shooting his first film, which lasted two years due to lack of funds.

Through him I met Antonio Banderas (he's not gay) before he even acted in his first film, Laberinto de Pasiones (Passions Maze), with Pedro.

• 1 month later...