Transfering Mc To Farang

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a MC in Chiang Rai. Recently the paperwork arrivered from Bangkok. I recieved a plate ,registration? sticker and photo copy of "book" I was told by the MC shop that the "book" will still show the MC shop as owner as I would need to get paperwork from Mai Sai immigration to transfer it to my name. They stated there was no problem leaving it in the shops name and I could sell to someone , sell back to shop, or transfer to my name anytime with no problem. My lady agreed that she saw no problem. She says that the MC shop assumes I will leave thailand and sell the bike back to them. Does anyone see a problem here. :o

Does anyone see a problem here. :o

Maybe, maybe not. I am not farang, so I never ran into this problem. However, they may have a point. I know that when I bought my bike I had to show my Thai I.D. Card in order to do the transfer. I also know that if you are a farang, you do indeed need to show some immigration documents to show that you are allowed to remain in the country. So, there may be a grain of truth to what the shop is saying. If you did not give them proof of residency, then yes, you cannot register it in your own name.

Unless you purchased the bike on finance then there is no reason for the bike to be registered in the shops name. The bike does not belong to the shop. If you purchased the bike on finance then the bike will remain the property of the shop till you finish the re payments. If you bought the bike otright I would be demanding the book!

When I bought a m/c they (the shop) did the paperwork while I withheld 50% of the cash. I would not be happy for the shop to be holding onto the registration book and same as H2o, I would be demanding the book. The book with the m/c not in your name? I do not like that idea but if you have a receipt and also proof of purchase, that 'should' be OK.

Q.

Does not the ID of the former owner have to be current to transfer the registration over?

If the I.D. card needs renewing by the time you change the registration, then you need to contact them for a new photocopy of the ID. That could prove awkward.

Are you mad?

You leave the bike in the shop's name and they could sell tomorrow quite legally as they own it. You have no claim over it.

Go and get a letter from Immigration with your address on and register it in your name. Easy to do. Then it is yours to sell if or when you want.

Do it now, tomorrow may be too late.

About 6 weeks ago I purchased a MC in Chiang Rai. Recently the paperwork arrivered from Bangkok. I recieved a plate ,registration? sticker and photo copy of "book" I was told by the MC shop that the "book" will still show the MC shop as owner as I would need to get paperwork from Mai Sai immigration to transfer it to my name. They stated there was no problem leaving it in the shops name and I could sell to someone , sell back to shop, or transfer to my name anytime with no problem. My lady agreed that she saw no problem. She says that the MC shop assumes I will leave thailand and sell the bike back to them. Does anyone see a problem here. :o

This is absolute <deleted>.

Transfer to your name as soon as possible. Why did the paperwork go to Bangkok? I have bought six bikes in Thailand in my name over the years and NEVER had to go via Bangkok. They are forcing you to pay twice for the registration.

I think you'll need the original book for the annual road tax renewal.

No thinking about it, you need to have the green book.

But maybe, once again, in the perverted logic of Thais, they think that instead of just paying the 100 odd Baht to the Licensing Departmentt, the "owner" will be paying considerably more for the bike shop to do it for him.

What a joke.

And doubtless if the bike is to be sold, then the green book will go "missing" or have other problems.

Get the bike in YOUR name.

Well actually currently its not 'his bike' thats the problem..

Get the book and check it with a fine tooth comb (take it to someone who knows books) this sounds very similar to the forged book scam where the book is not in the computer system of the DMV, even worse than a recycled book.

Check book frame and engine numbers.. Check those for restamping.. Check the shape of the frame to see if it feels elliptical or flattened where its stamped.. Check the books history to see if it has had engine / color changes..

If you dont do the name change with the DMV personally then verify that its in the system.. Get the book and sit it next to another legit book and look very carefully for minor changes, color match, the way its made. Theres a lot of fakes out there but if fully fake it wont be in the DMV system (hence no tax stickers these days).

Of course if you have bought from a large manufacturer on finance this makes more sense.. Or if you bought anything brand new the book issue is less of a concern, but the amount of bad books on second hand bikes is high, and the market is rapidly changing to make those hard to ride in many parts of the country.

Yeah but the thing is, having ridden through Thailand I've not once been asked for my green book (which I carry on me). Just a number plate check and once a tax check.

But get the book in your name. It might cost you a couple of thousand to bribe officials and lube the wheels of beaurocracy but you'll be impervious to the fine bs. :o

Maybe, maybe not. I am not farang, so I never ran into this problem. However, they may have a point. I know that when I bought my bike I had to show my Thai I.D. Card in order to do the transfer. I also know that if you are a farang, you do indeed need to show some immigration documents to show that you are allowed to remain in the country. So, there may be a grain of truth to what the shop is saying. If you did not give them proof of residency, then yes, you cannot register it in your own name.

What do I need to obtain proper paperwork from Immigration. A Thai told me she thinks I need to bring a "house book" and say I live there and be guaranteeed by them that I live there. I am renting a house in CR (so no "book") and I am on a one year visa extention. Any help in clarifing the requirement before a visit to Mai Sai would be most appreciated.

You need a proof of address it can be any of either a letter from immigration (not all give them ours here are easy and dont need any special visa just a rental contract) or a work permit or a letter from your embassy or sometimes a yellow house book.

What do I need to obtain proper paperwork from Immigration. A Thai told me she thinks I need to bring a "house book" and say I live there and be guaranteeed by them that I live there. I am renting a house in CR (so no "book") and I am on a one year visa extention. Any help in clarifing the requirement before a visit to Mai Sai would be most appreciated.

To obtain a certificate of residence you will need a valid visa,which you have,and to prove the immigration that you live here.This can be done by showing an utillity bill or rental contract in your name or even a thai driving license.

To register the bike in your name you will again need a valid visa and above mentioned certificate of residence.

To obtain a certificate of residence you will need a valid visa,which you have,and to prove the immigration that you live here.This can be done by showing an utillity bill or rental contract in your name or even a thai driving license.

To register the bike in your name you will again need a valid visa and above mentioned certificate of residence.

Thats regionally dependent.. The law says you need a non imm.. But on the ground they register here with anything, even a 30 day stamp. It just depends on your local office and how farang aware they are.

Talk to houseowner that you need a copy of the housebook, a copy of his/her id-card, both copies signed by them.

That plus your passport with a valid one-year visa.

That is what I needed.

:o:D:D