Which visa for language school?

Dear all,

I would eventually have the chance to spend a couple of months in LOS starting from beginning of next year  :o

During my staying I would like to learn the thai language. Until now the Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok with its "Intensive Thai Program" seems to cover my expectations. If you have better ideas, please advise. There are up to 9 courses with a total duration of about 1 year. In the description of the course I found the following statement regarding the VISA issue:

Chulalongkorn University is unable to assist in the process of obtaining the visa required while residing in Thailand. However Chulalongkorn University can provide a letter of admission for presentation to immigration authorities.

1) Is it possible to get a Non-Immigrant (Multi-Entry) ED VISA with this letter of admission?

2) This VISA seems to be valid for 365 days maximum. Can I extend this VISA for a second period?

3) Do I have to leave and re-enter the country every 90 days?

4) What happens if I have the VISA and I stop with the courses? Do I have to leave the LOS immediately?

I know I've a lot of questions, but I also know the answers are easy for you...

Oh, I forgot this:

- I'm German

- Im 31 years old

Many Thanx!

I just finished a 2-year stint at Chula.  

Use the initial letter to get a 90-day Non-Immigrant ED visa through your local embassy.  

After you arrive in Thailand the school will give you another letter to take to immigration and immigration will extend your visa. This letter states when your course of study ends.  Immigration will not let you stay beyond that date on the visa they give you, give or take a few weeks.

If you continue studying beyond the first visa, the school will issue another letter, and immigration will extend the visa again.  You don't have to leave the country.

You don't have to leave the country every 90 days on such an ED visa.

Also, you're supposed to go to immigration every 90 days to report your location.  I don't know if that's enforced or not.  I never did it.

Marshalsea's advice is spot on.  When you get the extension at Immigration also get a multiple entry re-entry permit. Your intentions are unclear to me. You talk about " a couple of months " stay, then talk of extending into a second year. You need not leave the country if you drop out. The reporting every 90 days is mandatory, and fines are applicable and enforced. If you leave the country under 90 days there is no need to report

UHm yes it all depends on how many hours per day you want to study. If it's only a min of 3 hrs then Yes the previous posters are correct.

However if you are willing to study a min of 6 hrs perday you can get Chula to write a letter for the Ministry of Ed here in BKK and they can issue you a full time student visa which is valid for 12 months (no extensions necessary within than period) and can be extended for one more 12 month period. It can take about 3 months to get this approved though.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Let me give you more details on the subject:

The duration of one language course is 5 weeks with an daily studying time of 4 hours. There are 9 courses in total which have to be paid one by one. To remain flexible I would not like to apply for more than 1 course at a time. Therefore I guess that the mentioned "letter of admission" is only stating the duration of 5 weeks.

Does this mean that I will be able to get an Non-Immigrant multiple-entry education VISA, but only valid until the last day of the course?

Are there normally some days left after this date to extend the visa?

Will I have to go to the Immigration every 5 weeks to extend the VISA? What about the costs for the extension?

Is there a maximum lenght where no further extension is possible even if attending to such a course?

@dr_Pat_Pong

1-2 years are also a couple of months, right?  :cool:

Honestly speaking I have probably the chance to take a payed "timeout for up to 18 month". My idea was that this is a good opportunity to move to Thailand, learn it's culture, social life, politics, history, language and to create a in this way a good basis to possibly find a job there....and if it does not work with the job it doesn't really matter! I made an international experience which is not bad for my career :o