Passengers Blatant Disregard For Their Boarding Cards

samuiseagull

Ok, im a little peeved off. Im sitting in Doha airport with a 5 hour connection back to LHR. I cannot find a beer and im begining to feel the shakes come on without the cool flow of a Heineken. I need to rant.

What is it about people who, having checked in, been given their boarding card, follow the instructions to actually find the plane at the right gate, suddenly decide that when they get on the aircraft they are going to just bloody sit anywhere!!!! What's the bloody matter with them. Look at your card...it's got your seat number on it. Just sit there!!!! Everytime you see it, the dumb look of dispair from them. They go up one aisle....and then back down the other. WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!! Look at that bit of paper in your hand!!!! :o

And then when they do finally find the correct row it takes them another few minutes to actually register with their brains that yes, you can now sit down and stop looking around for teacher to tell you to sit down. Unbelievable!!!!

OK, sorry guys, rant over. But I think you can excuse me. After all, im going back to the UK again. Bloody hel_l!!!!! :D

Not unusual at all. Even seasoned travelers seem to get confused when traveling, though it's generally the first timer. You would be surprised at the number of people who don't even know about preassigned seating even though given a boarding pass. You can blame the low cost carriers for that where people can sit anywhere.

A lot of people just get disorientated when traveling and you would be surprised by the amount of things we find left on the aircraft, such as glasses, books, wallets,passports, tickets, lap tops, coats, luggage and even the odd baby! (I kid you not!)

Ok, im a little peeved off...What is it about people who, having checked in, been given their boarding card, follow the instructions to actually find the plane at the right gate, suddenly decide that when they get on the aircraft they are going to just bloody sit anywhere!!!! What's the bloody matter with them. Look at your card...it's got your seat number on it. Just sit there!!!! Everytime you see it, the dumb look of dispair from them. They go up one aisle....and then back down the other. WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!! Look at that bit of paper in your hand!!!! :o And then when they do finally find the correct row it takes them another few minutes to actually register with their brains that yes, you can now sit down and stop looking around for teacher to tell you to sit down. Unbelievable!!!!

I quite agree with you!

I almost always fly business class now that I can afford it and have gotten older. When I fly there's one "amenity" that's the most important to me -- having an aisle seat. I don't care about free drinks or high-class first/business-class food. But I want my aisle seat. I book early to be sure I get an aisle seat. Then, particularly because I'm a single flier, there's often someone who wants to know if I'll give up my aisle seat so they can sit with their friends or family. No! If they wanted to do that they should have booked the seat that way when they bought their ticket or at the ticket window.

One year I was flying business to Thailand on NW, and in Detroit an older fat lady and her sonny boy (mid-20s) got on. I heard her say to the flight attendant, "Miss, I have seat 3A and my son has seat 5A. Isn't that in the same row?" Of course not! Then she turned to me and said, "Maybe some nice man will move to a window seat so my son and I can sit together." I looked at her and responded, "Good luck finding that nice man. If you wanted to sit together you should have booked the seats together. Now, please stop annoying me." I rather enjoyed that aisle seat more than any I had ever had!

I quite agree with you!

I almost always fly business class now that I can afford it and have gotten older. When I fly there's one "amenity" that's the most important to me -- having an aisle seat. I don't care about free drinks or high-class first/business-class food. But I want my aisle seat. I book early to be sure I get an aisle seat. Then, particularly because I'm a single flier, there's often someone who wants to know if I'll give up my aisle seat so they can sit with their friends or family. No! If they wanted to do that they should have booked the seat that way when they bought their ticket or at the ticket window.

One year I was flying business to Thailand on NW, and in Detroit an older fat lady and her sonny boy (mid-20s) got on. I heard her say to the flight attendant, "Miss, I have seat 3A and my son has seat 5A. Isn't that in the same row?" Of course not! Then she turned to me and said, "Maybe some nice man will move to a window seat so my son and I can sit together." I looked at her and responded, "Good luck finding that nice man. If you wanted to sit together you should have booked the seats together. Now, please stop annoying me." I rather enjoyed that aisle seat more than any I had ever had!

Yes! Dead right!

I also insist on an aisle seat when I book my tickets and I am sick of people wanting to 'swap' seats with me. I just say no, then whisper I need an aisle seat because of my bowel problems.

However if I already knew the guy/woman sitting next to me was obese (happens a lot these days) I would grab their offer to move.

This is in economy class of course. I always dread a big fat, smelly person sitting next to me.

Yes! Dead right!

I also insist on an aisle seat when I book my tickets and I am sick of people wanting to 'swap' seats with me. I just say no, then whisper I need an aisle seat because of my bowel problems.

Hey...that's our little secret...I do have bowel problems!

What's the bloody matter with them. Look at your card...it's got your seat number on it. Just sit there!!!! Everytime you see it, the dumb look of dispair from them. They go up one aisle....and then back down the other. WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!! Look at that bit of paper in your hand!!!! :D

Perhaps they're looking for a pretty girl to sit next to ? :o Rather than a hot sweaty portly farang like me ! :D

Ok, im a little peeved off. Im sitting in Doha airport with a 5 hour connection back to LHR. I cannot find a beer and im begining to feel the shakes come on without the cool flow of a Heineken. I need to rant.

What is it about people who, having checked in, been given their boarding card, follow the instructions to actually find the plane at the right gate, suddenly decide that when they get on the aircraft they are going to just bloody sit anywhere!!!! What's the bloody matter with them. Look at your card...it's got your seat number on it. Just sit there!!!! Everytime you see it, the dumb look of dispair from them. They go up one aisle....and then back down the other. WHAT ARE YOU DOING!!!!!!! Look at that bit of paper in your hand!!!! :o

And then when they do finally find the correct row it takes them another few minutes to actually register with their brains that yes, you can now sit down and stop looking around for teacher to tell you to sit down. Unbelievable!!!!

OK, sorry guys, rant over. But I think you can excuse me. After all, im going back to the UK again. Bloody hel_l!!!!! :D

You get what you pay for! Bottom-feeding airlines get sawdust for brains customers.

I quite agree with you!

When I fly there's one "amenity" that's the most important to me -- having an aisle seat.

Yes! Dead right! I also insist on an aisle seat...

aisle yes when the Mrs. sits next to me. aisle seat when i fly alone? no <deleted> way! strangers stepping over me and disturb my peace/sleep because they love frequent visits to aircraft toilets? :o

Rule of thumb for Coach travelers. The place to ask for seating side-by-side is AT THE CHECK IN DESK. However, it amazes me to see families of 4 or 5 board the plane with their members seating scattered between <deleted> and breakfast time. Now, did the check-in staff just go with the lottery-like automatic seat distribution, say it couldn't be done and fob the re-seating off on the airline crew on the plane? I would think that is the case as most check-in staff are NOT airline employees but contracted to work for different airlines with only a supervisor from the airline riding herd. The check-in staff can't be arsed to block seats as that usually needs the supervisor's interaction. Maybe even the supervisor says just get them on the plane fast and let the crew sort it out?

Flying at the front of the plane is better of course but in my experience, Business Class is usually full as well so sometimes there's a request for window or an aisle seat to accommodate a couple or group. I am 6'4" and have the bladder the size of Idaho so I refuse to give up my window seat so that some little old lady who needs to tinkle every 20 minutes can look out the window for 2 or 3 minutes total out of a +10 hour flight. Once I stretch out, there's no easy way to get around my legs so don't even think about asking me to take an aisle seat.

Rule of thumb for Coach travelers. The place to ask for seating side-by-side is AT THE CHECK IN DESK. However, it amazes me to see families of 4 or 5 board the plane with their members seating scattered between <deleted> and breakfast time. Now, did the check-in staff just go with the lottery-like automatic seat distribution, say it couldn't be done and fob the re-seating off on the airline crew on the plane? I would think that is the case as most check-in staff are NOT airline employees but contracted to work for different airlines with only a supervisor from the airline riding herd. The check-in staff can't be arsed to block seats as that usually needs the supervisor's interaction. Maybe even the supervisor says just get them on the plane fast and let the crew sort it out?

Flying at the front of the plane is better of course but in my experience, Business Class is usually full as well so sometimes there's a request for window or an aisle seat to accommodate a couple or group. I am 6'4" and have the bladder the size of Idaho so I refuse to give up my window seat so that some little old lady who needs to tinkle every 20 minutes can look out the window for 2 or 3 minutes total out of a +10 hour flight. Once I stretch out, there's no easy way to get around my legs so don't even think about asking me to take an aisle seat.

I don't like aisle seats, people and trollys bump my elbows and knees.

As an experienced traveller, I always find it interesting to see if I can spot the newbies.

For some comic relief, if you haven't seen Brian Regan already, then please do ..

Typical airline travel situations -you'll get a good laugh!

My experience is 19 times out of 20, people sit in their allotted seats.

My gripe is failure to enforce any regulations on hand luggage so the overhead bins are full as passengers have brought 3 pieces of hand luggage each one the size of an 80 litre backpack.

If I were the OP, I would address my alcohol problem. This will cause you many more problems than uncomfortable air travel. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get. George Best and all that.

Personally I prefer the free seating, you see the thais scramble to get a seat @ front of the plane,I probably get on next to very last, & enjoy a row of seats to myself ( air asia) what annoys me is the size of the hand luggage, I 've seen bags the size of my month's worth of travelling as onboard carry on,& little asian manhandling same , if I try it I'm up for excess weight. Anyway T.I.T.

regards songhklasid

My gripe is failure to enforce any regulations on hand luggage so the overhead bins are full as passengers have brought 3 pieces of hand luggage each one the size of an 80 litre backpack.

If I were the OP, I would address my alcohol problem. This will cause you many more problems than uncomfortable air travel. The longer you leave it, the worse it will get. George Best and all that.

Thank's for that!!!! Fancy a pint??!! :o

I very much agree with you on both!

Years ago flying on Singapore airlines a lady had a bag so heavy it took her and the attendant to heft it into the overhead, man if that thing had came out of there, there would have been a few broken necks. I will only give up my aisle seat if I get another, I like to walk around, that 13 hours from LAX to Taipai is a killer.

I also opt for the aisle seat, The bumped elbows and knees are a worthy sacrifice for the extra room and ability go get up without asking someone elses permission. Plus, you can look down the aisle when you are bored.

edit: the only thing I don't like about the aisle seat is if I get on the plane before the people sitting next to me, because I have to keep watch for them coming and plan my exit and entry back into my seat as to not get trampled by the hordes of people in the aisle. But I always let people board the plane before me so this rarely happens.

Edited by scottyd

I have already picked my seats for my next trip when I booked online.

I have gone for an Isle seat in the centre, its in business class with 2-3-2 seating so if I do go to sleep hopefully the person in the middle will go out the other way if they need the toilet.

I very much agree with you on both!

I remember when Continental was flying to NZ & Aust, cabin staff would checck baggage being brought to the plane.

Any oversize or awkward items were taken from, whinging selfish passengers, and stowed in the hold.

Guess time schedules etc would prevent that now.

I loved watching....

As for seats, I reserve my fave aisle seat well ahead as soon as allowed.

Flying Thai into Swampy, first thing I do is head into the Thai office on departure level and reserve my seat for retrurn, which can be a a couple of months ahead.

Girls there are so obliging, love 'em.

Edited by Zpete

What no piss at all in Doha Airport???? :D:D

Thanks for sharing this Xerostar, I think Brian Regan has traveled the same amount as me over the past year......have experienced all of his examples. When travelling throughout Asia(under 2 hours) I travel with AirAsia and pay that little extra for the preferred seat. Although I cannot see the point of the 15 kg luggage limit when people carry on the equivalent of an elephant in their hand carry. Traveling AirAsia(now everyone can fly) certainly exposes you to the wonders of low cost travel........I am still waiting to see someone load chickens in the overhead bin, I know it will happen.

One request from people with back packs, can you take the bloody thing off your back before you get in the aircraft, tied of getting whacked in the head whilst you look around the cabin from your seat.....yes when you turn sidways for some reason your back pack will turn too.

For the people who like to relax in the fully reclined version of your seat, look behind you before you flip that seat back at the speed of light, those behind you will appreciate not having to recover from a painful knee injury or being scoulded by the freshly delivered coffee.

Happy travels to all

Stevey

Not that i could find. I had to wait until i was back on board. Qatar Airways very obliging with a beer or two though. That was nice of them!! :D

But two rooms with deck chairs.....