I Have Had Enough

I have had enough.

Me and my girl have been together 4 years. 2 of which I lived with her for and the last 2 I have worked in Saudi and visited as often as I can. I left because of the new laws for teachers and although I have been teaching for many years I dont have a degree. At the time it seemed impossible to stay with all the loop holes they made.

But now we need time together, the constant distance is killing the relationship. Isn't there some way I can stay.

I refuse to belive Thailand suddenly became this mecca for qualified teachers and that its regulations are suddenly in full force. I don't know the loop holes because I wasn't devious enough at that time.

Any advice.

At the time it seemed impossible to stay with all the loop holes they made.

I'm confused. Loop holes allow people to get round laws. If there were so many that would have made staying easier rather than impossible surely?

mmmmmmm, yes ok, constructive, thanks

A tough one to be sure. Naturally, alll should be legal when entering employment. However, I know of at least five guys who speak Japanese and are "freelance" teachers in Central Bangkok and are doing very well teaching among the Japanese community (housewives, their international school kids, even Dad for business English). I know others who do not speak Thai, Japanese, or Korean doing likewise. At the end of the day, it is up to you whether you go the legal route (labourious, increasingly so, and does not pay at all well, as the "middle-man:, school or agency take half - at least). The work permit is wonderful of course - however, when it comes to teaching, most complain of their being exploited in one way or the other.,

This is not designed to be a pointer in any way, just my experiences as told to me by the people who live around me.

You can legally teach here without a degree.

By showing 1 year of experience, a school can get you a temporary teachers licence from the Teachers Council.

The temp TL has in the past been good for two years. During that two years you need to show them that you are making a good faith effort to get a degree.

At the end of the 2 years, if you have the degree, good. If not, but you can show them you're trying, they have said in the past that they'll consider giving you another temp lic to allow you to work while finishing the degree.

Language schools are another possibility.

:D Ummmm.....my reponse no good then????
Questions about qualifications for teaching in Thailand are better asked in the teaching forum. Think you will find a better response there.

:D you're doing a great job bangkokgas :o

Just thought that forum was more suitable then the visa forum for his question.

Just some things to think about...

There are also some government projects that allow you to get a work permit and teach legally in Thailand without a degree.

Check with Chula I had a friend who did this, I think it was called "The Nontaburi Project" or some such thing....

If I remeber corrctly, he said the pay and benefits sucked (under market value and 10 or 11 month contract) and they expected him to go to various meetings/training and seminars out side of normal teaching, but if you are just looking to work legally and don't care about the pay go for it.

You could also use some of those big dollars made in Saudi to finish your degree. I have been told that Ramkhamhaeng University offers some credit for teaching experience and have heard that they have flexible class schedules.

Same friend as above told me he checked with RAM and they told him he could transfer credits earned in the UK about 15 years ago and would also give him credit for teaching experience. Said he would need to go back for about 1 1/2 years to get his Degree.

I have had enough.

Me and my girl have been together 4 years. 2 of which I lived with her for and the last 2 I have worked in Saudi and visited as often as I can. I left because of the new laws for teachers and although I have been teaching for many years I dont have a degree. At the time it seemed impossible to stay with all the loop holes they made.

But now we need time together, the constant distance is killing the relationship. Isn't there some way I can stay.

I refuse to belive Thailand suddenly became this mecca for qualified teachers and that its regulations are suddenly in full force. I don't know the loop holes because I wasn't devious enough at that time.

Any advice.

I can tell you, from about 35 years of experience in academia (all university level) that Thailand is one of the worst places in the world to teach...........just terrible.......and they will cheat you if you allow them to do so.

You mentioned the Middle East............not an easy place to teach but much better, especially in terms of income and housing. Other than that, you know how hot it gets (Thailand is very hot and uncomfortable, but nothing like 50 degree C).

If I were you, I would consider taking your wife with you to the Middle East, working there for six months to one year, then relaxing in Thailand.

In rural Thailand, if you have a Thai friend who is a teacher, you might be able to tutor students in English. But the last thing you want to do is to break any laws here.

The govt. is paranoid to the extreme about foreigners working in Thailand without work permits.

One possible short term solution would be for you to sign up for Thai language classes........you can sometimes get a long term visa for that.

You can also work to get an ESL teaching certificate.........worthless in terms of making you a teacher but important to Thais who make the silly rules.

Or, move..........Cambodia wants teachers and are far more relaxed in terms of rules.......especially visa rules.

Good luck........it is truly unfortunate that Thailand is pushing away so many foreigners. They might as well post a sign at the airport that says, "Turn around........YOU are not wanted!"