Viktor Bout Extradition Hearing

ntfeeney

Hi everyone. I have been following the developing case of the Russian Viktor Bout, accused of arms smuggling, endangerment to Americans, etc... "merchant of death" since he was arrested last March in BKK. His extradition case continues to be delayed until now, 1 year later. He's been at the criminal court last Friday, and this past Monday, and scheduled to appear march 17-18.

My question is if normal folk like myself can go listen in to his hearings at the criminal court? This is a great chance to see it firsthand, as he will either be in the USA or back in Russia soon (Thailand hasn't charged him with anything). Any info would be greatly appreciated - phone numbers, times, anything.. I would love to go.

Thanks!

N

Yes, I'd like to know the same. Saw a BBC special about his life and the sting operation that got him arrested in Thailand - fascinating stuff. At the end of the programme it said his hearing was scheduled for March 17.

Haven't seen anything in the local or international press about this hearing!

Maybe it's been postponed again?

Yes, I'd like to know the same. Saw a BBC special about his life and the sting operation that got him arrested in Thailand - fascinating stuff. At the end of the programme it said his hearing was scheduled for March 17.

Haven't seen anything in the local or international press about this hearing!

Maybe it's been postponed again?

I think I saw the same documentary on Flemish national. As soon as it is available on there archives I will put the link. Indeed a fascinating story he sold Tanks, fighter jets and bombers. I fact he was a semi official dealer from the Russian government to sell there overstock of all kind of weapons. That's why Russian is against his extradition. He went to court today

Its was on Flemish national television.

Edited by henryalleman

Yes, they always let random farangs into extremely internationally sensitive court proceedings that involve both the US and Russia..... :o
Actually.... you will probably find they do exactly that. Every time he makes a court appearance there is plenty of coverage on Thai television so it's probably not a closed session. The Criminal Court is on Ratchada, a kilometre or so north of Lat Phrao MRT. 

Bangkok Post has a story on this: http://www.bangkokpost.com/breakingnews/13...timate-business

His wife Alla Bout, who identified herself as a 45-year-old fashion designer, Tuesday supported his claim that he has done nothing wrong.

The wife of accused Russian arms smuggler Viktor Bout has testified that he is an honest businessman who ran a legitimate air cargo business.

Mr Bout, 42, a former Soviet air force officer dubbed "The Merchant of Death'', is alleged to be one of the world's most prolific arms dealers.

He was arrested in Bangkok a year ago and faces extradition to the United States at a hearing at the Bangkok Criminal Court scheduled to end this week.

The BBC documentary also showed he was using his planes in Iraq for US and UK transports. They all knew who he was, but needed his planes. This guy ain't no small time operator

Yes, interesting, isn't it, that so many of these most-wanted international criminals were at one time friends of Uncle Sam.

Do you understand Thai?

Some parts of the hearing may be in English or Russian. For an important or newsworthy case they will have a translator in court. Thai court hearings like most court cases are generally very dull. Hollywood can make it seem exciting but it rarely is in reality. 

• 1 month later...
I have decided to wait until the movie (hopefully a musical) is released.

Let's hope its not an hollywood production, because they are famous for twisting the truth(this is an understatement)

And the supposed good guys prevail.

It's me again - just to answer some of the comments left here and try to get more info.

Yes, they do let random farang around the complex, that is if you are of an adequate level of intelligence, also being capable of communicating (yes, in Thai) with the people who work there. I was allowed to wander around the entire complex when I was there last month, obtaining some of the room documents for the hearing that was unfortunately postponed.

Will there be English? Being an international case, I would assume so. Otherwise, there will be Thai (which I have a decent understanding of) and Russian (got me there).

I don't follow movie stars or musicians... that was a thing for adolescence. These people who are really making an impact (positive or negative, you decide) are far more intriguing.

The question: there are differing reports on the next hearing. I have heard and read it will be tomorrow (april 28) and wednesday (april 29).

I know more sources are saying the 29th, but does anyone know for sure? I will be going up to the courthouse a bit before 9am, if anyone else is interested in going. Leave me an SMS at 0866136166 (I may not answer random phone calls) if you are interested.

Best,

N

Hearing wil be in Thai - as it always is in Thai courts - with a translator for the defendant.

Get there real early - there'll be loads of folk queing up to get in (espeically foreign press).

The question is not so much whether or not he gets extradited - but to whom he goes i.e. Uncle Sam or Uncle Medvedev (Russia)? - he's done bidding for both sides over the years all over the world.

Is he really that bad?

Nope - lots like him the world over.

UPDATE::

So, I went to the Criminal Court last Wednesday to watch the hearing for Mr. Viktor Bout. Well, I was thrilled that I was able to simply walk into the room, and sit within a couple meters of the great man. Here's an account:

Arriving as I had before, walking through the front door security of the 'San-a-ya' (Criminal Court), I took the elevator up to the 7th floor, not remembering exactly what floor the hearing would be on. Nope, not the 7th, not the 8th, but the 9th floor is where it was.

Being such a high-profile case, I was surprised at the small number of attendees. A kind photographer, stationed in the corridor, directed me to the precise room. It was about 10:00am (I was late). No worries though... I stood by the door, peering into the room. Viktor Bout's wife, who was in attendance, motioned for me to enter room. As I took a seat in the 6-bench capacity room, Alla (Viktor's wife), started speaking to me in Russian. Unfortunately Russian was not one of the languages I have pursued, and I babbled something in English about being here to support Mr. Bout. She became disinterested, and returned to her position next to her husband.

Speaking of Viktor, he was clad in an old faded-orange prison shirt and matching shorts - accompanying shackles of course. He looked at me a few times during the proceedings and afterward, possibly curious who this young, white guy (not Russian) was here.

A quick role of the attendees:

Viktor, his wife, an older Russian man, Bout's translator, someone who looked like he could be a younger brother of Bout, a young Russian woman, another young woman (believed to be a reporter), several Thai journalists and reporters, the judge, 4 attorneys, the American prosecutor (lanky guy with bad haircut - identified by a friend as CIA, beacuse of such characteristics (joke)), his translator, a French reporter (Viktor is refusing interviews with American and Thai media because of the slant, the whole 'merchant of death' thing.

Yes, the proceedings were in Thai, with each side having a translator. Viktor looked calm and focused; his wife looked worried.. sort of like my mother when I left the USA for Thailand... worried about when she might see Viktor again...Basically, it was a drab hearing, though. The judge asked questions to a large Thai man, whose title I have forgotten. The hearing adjorned around 12 noon, with them negotiating the next hearing. Viktor wanted it to be 'the 30th', but the lawyers were 'not going to be here' then. The next date is May 19th at 9:00am.

As everyone left, I walked down the hallway and positionde myself with the official media (with their big fancy cameras). I whipped out my tiny Casio, and attempted to take a few photos (of bad quality - i need a new camera), then resorted to shooting a quick video of Viktor walking down the hall to the stairs, and away.

Afterward, I took a self-guided tour around thhe complex, and found myself at the big holding cell for prisoners. A couple hundred of them, hanging out, awaiting trial, with some of them receiving visitors.

This is just a report... if you'd like to discuss my opinion on the matter (i would like to hear yours), please email me at [email protected] Yes, I am a teacher here in TH. Thanks, -N

Hearing wil be in Thai - as it always is in Thai courts - with a translator for the defendant.

Get there real early - there'll be loads of folk queing up to get in (espeically foreign press).

The question is not so much whether or not he gets extradited - but to whom he goes i.e. Uncle Sam or Uncle Medvedev (Russia)? - he's done bidding for both sides over the years all over the world.

Is he really that bad?

Nope - lots like him the world over.

Interesting recount, thanks for the insight. It would actually be interesting to visit a proceeding with Victor, even if ones understanding of spoken Thai is anything but good.

Interesting recount, thanks for the insight. It would actually be interesting to visit a proceeding with Victor, even if ones understanding of spoken Thai is anything but good.

I agree! What an opportunity to be up close to this guy... the chance won't come again. Either he's whisked away to Russia and stays there for the next long while (you need a break after 1+ years in BKK jail, I assume), or he's sent to an American jail for the rest of his life.

To each his own, though. Even one of the reporters sitting next to me was bored with the hearing. Not I.

I will be going to the next hearing, may 19 9:00am, in case you wanted to come too. After that, they are saying the last hearing may be in early June (I will be out of BKK during that time).

Thanks for reading.

• 1 month later...

Any further updates as 19th May has been and gone.

I've lost count of how long he's been locked up now. Is it around 14 months?

I doubt any Thai judge is going to make any decision soon unless they get approval from the Prime Minister. Viktor could be locked up for a few years yet awaiting a decision on his extradition.

• 1 month later...
Any further updates as 19th May has been and gone.

I've lost count of how long he's been locked up now. Is it around 14 months?

I doubt any Thai judge is going to make any decision soon unless they get approval from the Prime Minister. Viktor could be locked up for a few years yet awaiting a decision on his extradition.

August 11 (Tuesday) at the Criminal Court Ratchada. ("San-a-ya"). Probably at 9am, as the past several hearings have been at this time. I went to the second-to-last hearing, and will be at this one (should be the final one). Trying to get a few people together to go up there as well.

Thats why it is called a movie - in Hollywood-speak that means fantasy

Bubba

Let's hope its not an hollywood production, because they are famous for twisting the truth

well, I'll be there tomorrow at 9am to watch the last hearing in TH. I'll try to write an account of what happens later in the evening or the next day.

Bout was in court today - and looks like he has beat Uncle Sam (for the time been at least).

Judge apparently has said that Thailand does not recognise FARC as a terrorist group, and therefore the extradition asked for by the USA is politicaly based, and therefore there are no grounds for Thailand to agree to the extradition!!