Cathay Pacific

Chaimai

I see that Cathay Pacific are quoting £470 return for Heathrow/Bangkok via Hong Kong.

Anyone have experience of this route/airline ?

From London, I always preferred BA or Quantas because of the non-stop, leaving late at night and arriving the following afternoon. My time is worth money, too, so I factor that in when considering the price of the ticket and overall trip costs. With the non-stop, I could work all day, then get some sleep on the night route, and get to BKK rested and ready.

I've always liked Cathay but I used to use them primarily on the BKK-HKG-NRT route. I received many unexpected complimentary upgrades to biz when I was a Platinum member with American. There is a nice 1st/biz lounge downstairs at HKG. For me, the only downside is going through security again during transfers through HKG. It's a total pain, especially when one of the security people decides they want to look through all bags in detail.

If looking for a great bargain to save money is primary, I found better deals. I priced out a random trip from LHR-BKK leaving next week with a return in 3 weeks on kayak dot com, and it gave a price on Qatar Airways of only $582 USD. With taxes and fees, the price may be a bit better than the Cathay price.

I see that Cathay Pacific are quoting £470 return for Heathrow/Bangkok via Hong Kong.

From London, I always preferred BA or Quantas because of the non-stop, leaving late at night and arriving the following afternoon. My time is worth money, too, so I factor that in when considering the price of the ticket and overall trip costs. With the non-stop, I could work all day, then get some sleep on the night route, and get to BKK rested and ready.

I've always liked Cathay but I used to use them primarily on the BKK-HKG-NRT route. I received many unexpected complimentary upgrades to biz when I was a Platinum member with American. There is a nice 1st/biz lounge downstairs at HKG. For me, the only downside is going through security again during transfers through HKG. It's a total pain, especially when one of the security people decides they want to look through all bags in detail.

If looking for a great bargain to save money is primary, I found better deals. I priced out a random trip from LHR-BKK leaving next week with a return in 3 weeks on kayak dot com, and it gave a price on Qatar Airways of only $582 USD. With taxes and fees, the price may be a bit better than the Cathay price.

You'd have to go through security if you flew Qatar though, wouldn't you? My last few flights have been with Emirates and security at Dubai is a nightmare. For some reason they refuse to use wands and if you buzz when you go through the loop you just have to keep taking clothes off and have another go.

Cathay have a good name and that is not a bad price, though you are initially flying in the wrong direction.

I have booked a flight from Hong Kong to London in August, using my Virgin miles, Cathay are quoting me a price of £533 for the Bangkok - Hong Kong return, which makes your price even better.

It was back in 1994 when I did it but I flew Manila to London via HK on Cathay.

Brilliant airline, my most memorable flight ever.

Just checked the Lufthansa site, THB 20.900 return via FRA to most places in Europe.

Min 6 days, max 12 months, no change of dates allowed.

Seems like a good deal to me and you're flying in the right direction so fairly short trip time.

Hope that's useful to you.

Cathay have a good name and that is not a bad price, though you are initially flying in the wrong direction.

Not really. Follow the link below, enter in both the LHR-HKG and LHR-BKK routes, and you will see that they both follow relatively similar flight paths. The flying times are both the same as well, around 12 hours.

http://gc.kls2.com/

Regardless, Cathay is a nice airline to fly on.

I assumed that he would need to fly to Hong Kong first, then change aircraft before catching the London flight from Hong Kong, that's what I meant by flying in the wrong direction first.

I know that I have a tad under three hours from Bangkok to Hong Kong before I catch the twelve hour flight to London.

Sound advice and useful comments - thanks for that. I prefer direct LHR/BKK but I will have to wait for those prices to come down.

The Cathay Pacific price compares well with Qatar et al.

Edited by Chaimai

Are you sure that's not just the price EXCLUDING taxes?

I've found some other airlines that quote sub £500 return fares only for them to add £300~400 on the price in taxes.

I like the UAE airlines more, as they broke up the flight.

I can't stand spending 11 hours straight in an airplane, though when Oasis was flying London - Hong Kong I could live with it. I hope someone takes that idea and tries again soon!

Qantas /Ba have some deals coming up...April onwards...Return.....

London.- Sydney....for £489...including Taxes....other wise Bangers is....

Bangkok 16 Apr - 15 Jun London Heathrow Economy £399

Sydney 16 Apr - 15 Jun London Heathrow Economy £489

Singapore 16 Apr - 15 Jun London Heathrow Economy £399

Melbourne 16 Apr - 15 Jun London Heathrow Economy £499

Brisbane 16 Apr - 15 Jun London Heathrow Economy £499

Netflights :o

Cathay are a 5 star airline and far superior to BA. Only to be compared with Singapore Airlines. Often the best deals can be had by booking directly on the Cathay website. They are worth paying a premium for, so the OP quoted price is a good deal. Booked a May flight last week for LHR-HKG for £359 return. Amazing!

Unfortunately BA's price to BKK rises to £700+ in November.

Ref Deals on Flights ......:o ...FIO

Just booked 6 Singles from Bangkok to Chiang Mai on Thai -TG for 900 bt (each ) plus Tx =1400

....at least they are trying...ends March ...M-T-W-T only.

Can these be booked origionating in Bangkok ??

I am right in that apr - jun time window and need a couple of uk rtns.

I've just booked a Cathay Pacific flight LHR-BKK for November. Total cost was £501 at netflights.co.uk.

£915 at netflights.co.uk when I'm looking in July

Their cheapest is still as much as £631.

Westeast have Thai at £580 in July.

Are you sure that's not just the price EXCLUDING taxes?

I've found some other airlines that quote sub £500 return fares only for them to add £300~400 on the price in taxes.

No - that is "all in". Another poster also booked through 'netflights' or airline network, goldmedal travel - whatever name they are based in Preston. Decent online service.

http://netflights.com/flights/farelist.asp

Edited by Chaimai