Sharpening Scissors In Chiangmai

john b good

how much is a new pair of scissors these days?

Five years ago I saw J A Henckels scissors in Zen for 4,500 Baht

Not may Thai hair dresser's are gonna pay anything like that :o

yes but in fairness that was on ebay, they were 70 years old and they had cut adolf hitler's fringe just so.

in this disposable age isn't it cheaper just to buy a new pair of scissors than to seek out a decent sharpener? i admire the ecological sentiment, mind.

You could ask K. Wit from Hairpro. He offered a while ago to have my scissors sharpened for me. He seems to know where to go.

I haven't come around to bring my scissors to him, though, so do not know the result.

You could ask K. Wit from Hairpro. He offered a while ago to have my scissors sharpened for me. He seems to know where to go.

I haven't come around to bring my scissors to him, though, so do not know the result.

Thank you Nienke. :o

I will pass that info on to my lady.

Edited by john b good

No reason to go anywhere - just sit down on your front porch or whatever and look out for a guy with a "sharpening wheel" activated by hand or foot - (I don't know the proper English term, but the phrase should make sense). There aren't as many of these roaming the streets as garbage collectors or noisy ice cream sellers but they are there. We get all our stuff sharpening twice a year merely by calling in some passing guy with the proper equipment.

Go to Tesco Lotus and buy an English imported carborundum sharpening stone.

Open the scissors at their widest angle.

Holding the scissors so one blade is resting on the stone at ~ 45 degree angle, draw the blade away from you slowly.

Repeat a few times, then switch to the other blade.

The "burr" that is formed will be eliminated the first time you use the scissors.

Oh, and tighten the hinge, whether a screw design or rivet. Rivet- a few light taps with a small ball peen hammer.

This is not rocket science.

You can sharpen straight scissors in less time than it takes to sharpen a good quality carving/chef's knife...

Go to Tesco Lotus and buy an English imported carborundum sharpening stone.

Open the scissors at their widest angle.

Holding the scissors so one blade is resting on the stone at ~ 45 degree angle, draw the blade away from you slowly.

Repeat a few times, then switch to the other blade.

The "burr" that is formed will be eliminated the first time you use the scissors.

Oh, and tighten the hinge, whether a screw design or rivet. Rivet- a few light taps with a small ball peen hammer.

This is not rocket science.

You can sharpen straight scissors in less time than it takes to sharpen a good quality carving/chef's knife...

I'm gonna do it.

Now I need to get me a small ball pein hammer.

Jesus, john you're a pedantic pryke aren't you :o

But you are right mcgriffith, and no it's not rocket science. If it was I would be needing to e-mail von Braun (Wernher) I guess.

Edited by john b good