Is Apple That Good...?

Mumbo Jumbo

That was a refreshingly objective post chanchao.

I agree with you on the laptop advice. Unless you need a big screen or very fast hard drive for video applications a laptop is the way to go.

We got an incredible deal last Summer on a 12" PowerBook (under US$1000 at Amazon, now 65,500 baht at MacDD) that we lugged around Thailand for a month last year. Performed flawlessly, is whisper quiet and has a lovely display. I think I'd want larger than a 12" screen for daily use, but the 12" PB is a perfect traveling machine. But, the Thailand price is much more than I'd be willing to pay. An iBook is a reasonable alternative for a lot less money.

• 2 weeks later...
Loved the .swf .... very funny.

If anyone requires VPN software for a Mac, there is a package available, for free, from Apple's website, called IPSecuritas.... I have used it for over six months now, it works, it's stable ... did I mention it was free  :o

Thaddeus,

A big thanks for the reference to IPSecuritas on the Mac. I went to my moms over the last couple days to hook her Macs up to her company network. Going in I assumed that with the upgrade to Panther and support for L2TP would make it a cinch. Had to connect her to a Sonicwall firewall/gateway. Well it wasn't the cinch I thought due to the gateway configuration. I was banging my head for awhile till I saw a reference to IPSecuritas on the Apple discussion boards and remembered your recommendation. Downloaded it free, configured and next thing I knew remote desktop was giving me a Windows 2000 logon prompt. Happy mother. Happy son.

Thanks again for the recommendation.

• 1 year later...

Macs, including the Mini, can now boot Windows as well as OS X (haven't tried it so I don't know how much hassle it is), so you can enjoy the best of both worlds. if you have a good monitor/LCD already the mini will plug right in (comes with digital video and and adapter for VGA). Also, OS X is a version of Linux, so you can do a lot of Linux-type stuff on a Mac as well. There you go - three computers in one!

Laptops have the disadvantage of being harder to open up and work on if you have trouble, but they are great for portability.

As for software, I've found stuff that only works good on the Mac, and great free or cheap stuff that does better than some Mac apps, so depending on your needs, you might want to try to have a good system for each OS - but then, if you don't mind booting back and forth, a Mac will give you that. I should add that since the Mac OS reads/writes to Windows drives and network devices, you can save data to a USB or firewire external drive for access via either OS.

:o

Edited by Upcountry

Macs, including the Mini, can now boot Windows as well as OS X (haven't tried it so I don't know how much hassle it is), so you can enjoy the best of both worlds. if you have a good monitor/LCD already the mini will plug right in (comes with digital video and and adapter for VGA). Also, OS X is a version of Linux, so you can do a lot of Linux-type stuff on a Mac as well. There you go - three computers in one!

Laptops have the disadvantage of being harder to open up and work on if you have trouble, but they are great for portability.

As for software, I've found stuff that only works good on the Mac, and great free or cheap stuff that does better than some Mac apps, so depending on your needs, you might want to try to have a good system for each OS - but then, if you don't mind booting back and forth, a Mac will give you that. I should add that since the Mac OS reads/writes to Windows drives and network devices, you can save data to a USB or firewire external drive for access via either OS.

:o

Don't even bother rebooting a Intel Mac. Just get Parallels workstation and run any other Intel based OS that you want in a window. I run XP Pro and its incredibly snappy and hasn't crashed once in 2 months. It reputed to be slower on games and if your a serious gamer then you would want to reboot and boot XP. I have found Parallels is still weak on USB drivers and some support but my ability to run things like Stock Trading software is flawless. Uses my wireless card no problem. Full screen mode is identical to booting XP.

This takes advantage of Intels new Virtualization design. Expect to see more and more OS in a windows applications in the coming years.

In an interesting choice now because the software not available is simply not an issue anymore.

Might give some people less fear about checking out Apple. I like the fact Apple is relative small compared to MS. Makes the OS more nimble and innovative. Not for everyone I know.

While there are plenty other Mac zealots on the forum already, I'll add one more's opinion.

The biggest benefit of buying a Mac is when you live in a place that has an Apple Store. They are staffed with people that know how to solve problems. My mom got our old G4 iMac and had a bad hard drive. She was thrilled to know that she just had to bring it into the store, and they would take care of everything. They even give one-on-one support (an hour a week max) for $99/year! Not saying she's stingy, but she jumped at that in a flash.

I don't know how it is in Thailand. There are some good dealers around, but historically apple dealers don't do quite as well as company stores.

If you have had your old computer for a long time, go with the iMac if you can afford it, and if you really want a desktop. (I appreciate the value of having a desktop sometimes, although much prefer laptops myself. Less cords everywhere for one.) The mini is cute and very small, but that does mean it has a performance and price compromise.

If all you need is a beige box, well, you can get more for your money with a PC. I would argue not a whole lot more-- maybe you save 7-10% all told.

As for support, not aware of any thailand-specific apple support groups, but there is pretty much help available here on TV, and local dealers seem to be pretty committed.

Also, OS X is a version of Linux, so you can do a lot of Linux-type stuff on a Mac as well. There you go - three computers in one!

Not quite true. It's a modified FreeBSD, which is another variant of Unix, on a Mach microkernel.

Agreed, this doesn't make a whole lot of difference except to die-hard Unix fans like me.

Still, Linux programs won't run on MacOSX on Intel. They need to be recompiled from source.

--Lannig

Also, OS X is a version of Linux, so you can do a lot of Linux-type stuff on a Mac as well. There you go - three computers in one!

Not quite true. It's a modified FreeBSD, which is another variant of Unix, on a Mach microkernel.

Agreed, this doesn't make a whole lot of difference except to die-hard Unix fans like me.

Still, Linux programs won't run on MacOSX on Intel. They need to be recompiled from source.

--Lannig

Its much easier to find compiled programs for Linux but LOTS of compiled applications out there for OSX. For server applications like Asterisk PBX etc Linux is the better platform receiving the most development effort.

For a Desktop OS OSX is pretty trick and versatile.

Also you CAN run any Linux native application on OSX if you run Parallels virtualization software and install any of the Unix OS's of your choice. Not as easy and tidy for drivers but very fast and solid performance.

I first bought a Mac Classic (ahhhhhhhhhhh . .the joys of playing Crystal Quest on that baby) in 1989 or 1990 and loved how simple it was to use. It had a b/w screen, the size of a small paperbook book, but I adored her.

Because of work etc I then used PCs for the next 15 years, but always looked enviously at each new generation of Mac as it evolved in the last 1990s, early 2000s. The rebirth of Apple with the coloured i-Macs was a revelation. The second generation i-Mac was even sexier. Finally I relented last year and invested in a G5 Imac. It is a thing of beauty - a great machine, easy to use, a joy to behold. I love it.

And just this week I bought a 12inch g4 Powerbook to supplement it.

What can I say? I'm addicted.

The time has come and I have to buy a new desk top computer , my current one being 7 years old !!,( purchased second hand ) ive read that the best way would be to build one myself, but not having any friends who could advise / help me in the construction I now have to buy a " brand " computer . ive looked at the makes / specifications at my local IT mall, Acer and HP seem to have a good range. The Brands i don't know too much about are .. DELL and APPLE, all the forum comments about APPLE computers seem to be how wonderful they are...?

Can any one comment on buying a " brand " computer, and why APPLE computers seem to always get a good review..? , and is it possible to see DELL computers in a show room ..? My budget for my new machine is 40,000 Baht . Any comments or advice would be very welcome

Thanks .....

don't be scared by "build on myself" if you know all the components and you buy them from one shop the fit everything together for you install the operating system and let you check everything.

If you than add some small things it is easy.

(just be sure the shop does not fill your HD with useless crap which is half thai half english)

This short video (.swf) clearly demonstrates the superiority of Macs over PCs.

Seems to be gone :D comes up as a blank page, and forced download gives me a zero-length file.

Anyone kept a copy? I'd love to see it :o

--Lannig

I just did a search for mac.swf in Google, and it was the first entry... (different site, but the same video)

You'll know it's the same video when he mentions locating the battery on a Windows laptop.

"Don't even bother rebooting a Intel Mac. Just get Parallels workstation and run any other Intel based OS that you want in a window."

Very interesting, Cobra, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't noticed this (don't have an Intel Mac yet).

Maybe soon, Apple will be pushing something like Parallels instead of Boot Camp.

Mumbo Jumbo,

I can't really give you any advice on a desktop (I'm definitely a notebook person) but I can say that I just bought a new Acer TravelMate 8204 dual processor 2 gigs of ram and 120 gig HD and it's fantastic. This is the second Acer notebook I've owned and I can't recommend them highly enough!

They are extremely reliable and the service (I bought mine from IT City in Pantip) has been great. The only problem I have had was I burnt out the DVD Drive/burner and took it in to the store and 2 days later had it back all repaired and under warranty (even though I'd boosted the RAM while it was still in the warranty period). So I give Acer the big thumbs up!

Another personal view on the old Mac/Wintel battle.

I've been using PCs since the "good old days" of MSDos and 286s and consider myself fairly competent in getting any problems sorted out in Windows (and am the first call any of my friends make if something goes wrong with their PCs). Needed a new PC for my place in HK 2 months ago, and read about the new Intel Macs being able to run XP. So in spite of being a Mac-virgin, I plumped for a shiny new 20" iMac and was blown away with the simplicity. It really just does work. Of course there's a transition period in switching from Windows to OSX, but when it comes down to it, they have more similarities than differences. Still haven't got round to installing XP on it yet - I still have a couple of laptops and another desktop running it so no great need yet.

Anyway, I was so impressed, I've just bought another 20" iMac for my place here in BKK. Where it really shines is for family use; neither the missus nor our 12 year old daughter are computer-savvy, and they find the Mac much less hassle than the PC. After only a couple of weeks they're competent enough to set up a website with pictures and video - something they wouldn't have a hope in hel_l of doing with XP...believe me...they've tried...

bkk_mike has it right I believe. If you're budgeting 40k THB, then I assume you live in Thailand, You can get a pretty cutting-edge box for 30k (desktop) and then <deleted> around with another box on your own. Look around for the right shop. I think that's the most important thing. I've been here for 3 years, just long enough to think I know what I'm doing. I manage my own network, 8 boxes and two servers. Spend some time with the guys who might sell you the box you want. If you have some sociability, they will take care of you in the long haul. My guys in CM and previously in BKK will fix and update small problems and sell things at a good rate and answer my calls, usually. These are things that save you in the long run.

"Don't even bother rebooting a Intel Mac. Just get Parallels workstation and run any other Intel based OS that you want in a window."

Very interesting, Cobra, thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't noticed this (don't have an Intel Mac yet).

Maybe soon, Apple will be pushing something like Parallels instead of Boot Camp.

Here is a good video of how XP runs on Parallels on a Intel Mac.

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-ga...-on-the-macbook