Cost Of Living ?

heydaz

Hello to everyone!!

I've just found this site and registered.....i guess my first query has to be,is it possible to live in thailand on the australian disability pension?.....i lead a fairly modest life, nothing too outrageous.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

David

Hello to everyone!!

I've just found this site and registered.....i guess my first query has to be,is it possible to live in thailand on the australian disability pension?.....i lead a fairly modest life, nothing too outrageous.

David

Would depend how much you are talking about, so your question is rather open ended...if you specify how much sure you would get some better answers..

Farangs live here on THB 20,000 month...others on THB 200k a month

Hello to everyone!!

David

Would depend how much you are talking about, so your question is rather open ended...if you specify how much sure you would get some better answers..

Not sure what a farang is........but i'm thinking of around 1000 australian dollars a

month.

You could survive on that. Not sure I would call it living tho. I think 4x that amount is about minimum for comfort.

In central Bangkok even 200k per month can not get you luxurious living. 350k does that these days.

Edited by namoo

Hello to everyone!!

David

Not sure what a farang is........but i'm thinking of around 1000 australian dollars a

month.

If you're not sure what a farang is, then I'd recommend that you find a way to visit the country first before making a committment on living there. You might find that you prefer to be officially poor in Australia than moderately better off than the average local in Thailand. Or you might find that you love the place enough to live there regardless, but you won't know until you've spent some time in-country.

Edited by OriginalPoster

Anyone who says that you need $A4,000 (Bt92,000) a month to live in Thailand is spending way to much time propping up bars and starring at bikini clad bimbos. As for Bt350,000 ($A14,000) a month to live luxuriously in Bangkok, the question would need to be asked; why would you want to spend that much to live in Bangkok when there are much better places to be for that much money?

For a $A1,000/month you will be able to live modestly. There is no shortage of apartments around Sukhumvit for Bt6-8,000/month and less expensive than this further away from the centre. Utilities will cost you less than Bt2,000/mth depending on your a/c use.

If you chose to live in a provincial location (excluding places like Phuket, Samui, etc) you could get by on a lot less.

You also need to budget in your visa costs.

It's fairly do-able, but remember you don't have medicare coverage here like back home.

Despite what plenty of people on here think though, ordinary Thai doctors, public hospitals and standard dentists who predominantly treat Thais provide good levels of service should you need them.

But as OriginalPoster suggested, better if you visit for a while first before deciding to abandon Kevin 747 for the land of sex, suicides and slime.

Hello to everyone!!

David

Have a read of this Thaivisa thread to do with Australian Pensions and residency requirements. Whilst the majority of the thread deals with Old Aged Pensions there is a number of references to Disability Pension requirements.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/Australian-A...on-t163135.html

Edited by degilbo

1,000 AUS dollars would be a little tight but it could be done on 23,000 baht. I lived in a Pattaya condo for about 15,000 a month and spent about another 15,000 baht for 30,000 total. Now have a girl and spend about 50,000 a month. My girl's sister has a 3,000 a month room with no AC. Live in something like that or a little better and watch your money and you could get by for 15,000 or so. This would leave you 5,000 to 8,000 left over for whatever. Not a great lifestyle but 1,000 dollars a month in Australia is not great either.

I second the reccomendation to come to Thailand for a few weeks, see what living here would be like, and then make up your mind.

Hello to everyone!!

David

month.

:o Hello...nice to have a new comer on the Forum.

Since it is your first post...a Farang is what Thais call foriegners, mostly caucasian westerners that live in Thailand, but I suppose it also applies to any non-Thai.

But as for your question about how much does it take to live in Thaialnd, that depends largely on what your lifestyle is.

If you are willing to live in a one bedroom flat in a Thai apartment building, eat Thai food (noodles and fried rice) from the corner food stalls, don't go out to the bars very often, etc. then you can live on quite a bit less than otherwise. You will also find it cheaper, at least relatively, to live outside of Bangkok. Especially if you live up country, or somewhat out in the country. As to whether or not you can stand that type of life, I can't say. It is what you expect as your lifestyle that determines how much it costs.

As for me I already have a house, that belongs to my Thai family, and I'm quite happy with a bowl of noodles from the corner food stalls. I can get along on $1000 U.S. monthly. However, I also have to support my Thai family on top of that, so they require another $1000 for their suppport. For me the total comes out to around $2000 U.S. a month when I include my family (total 6 people).

Some people on this forum would say they "can't survive" in Bangkok on less than $2000 or even $3000 a month. That is because they expect certain things in their lifestyle. It's their choice.

So the short answer is, it is up to the choices you make and the lifestyle you expect/desire.

The besy way to find out if you can actually live here in Thailand on what you expect to get from your pension is to make a short trip, 2 or 3 months to Thailand. See how much you spend, and what you want as your lifestyle. Judge what it would cost for you, for rent, entertainment, food, etc. If you think you can do it, and not go crazy, then give it a go. If it turns out not to be for you, or you can't afford it, then look for another option.

(Hint: Cambodia is probably cheaper).

:D

As for Bt350,000 ($A14,000) a month to live luxuriously in Bangkok, the question would need to be asked; why would you want to spend that much to live in Bangkok when there are much better places to be for that much money?

Not really mate, lets say nice NEW condo in one of the better areas say soi 24, Thong lo, 200sqm 3 bedroom 150,000. BMW 525 and driver 60,000 = 210,000.

Day to day expenses elec, water, ubc, maid, gasoline, 4mb internet etc. 20000 a month.

Eating out / groceries 40,000

Few beers 10,000

just ball park figure mind. 280k not 350k.

Depends how u want to live. and some people need to live here on 350k a month because they work here. I dont live like that but i know a lot of people who do. I would call that lifestyle pretty comfortable.

Edited by namoo

It looks like OP was never in Thailand and had just the idea about living here.

Money is not everything, a simple life can be lived here with not much money. But what to you want to do all day, if you have no special interests or hobbies? What about emergencies? visa? disability - do you need help on a regular basis? Thailand is not an easy country for disabled people.

Hello to everyone!!

David

You could maybe live in the country and grow some of your own food, but your lifestyle will be restricted unless you go native.

Also, before long, you might find yourself wanting a Thai wife, which will create a new set of challenges.

Hi

The Mrs and I are living on a pretty tight budget at present due to medical cost and I keep a running total of my daily spends.

I am living in a quite big 3 bedroom 2 story house in Nakohn Parhom : Rent 3000 a month, power and water about 400, no air but dont miss it.

General expenses for Feb including food, power, water and very s l o w internet access at 650 a month was 10,703b. Probably be about the same this month possibly a bit higher but dont think it will get over 15,000.

However I dont drink, smoke or have any need to pay for a lady for the night, due to the above mentioned medical problems I dont do much at the moment although we have just come back from a week in Huahin. We intend to travel more in the coming months as my treatment finishes this month but by using buses, trains and local buses I still expect to keep around the 15,000 a month.

As has been said depends on what you want to do, have read of one gent who spends around 500,000 a month with a big house, 2 kids at private schools, 2 cars, 2 maids etc etc

I know a farang who lives in Pattaya on US Social Security. He seems happy and gets along pretty well on a little more than 20,000 baht per month. He is a balloon chaser but no one minds since he is now about 70 years old.

A big variable not mentioned is 'where'..

Guys who say that by spending 90k a month you have to be propping up a bar I assume dont live in bangkok or phuket.. Live up north and costs come down fast.. Live in the boonies and theres nothing to spend money on !!

Secondly lifestyles are too variable.. I get a bit bored of guys talking about the great lifestyle they live for 60k when they have no car, ride a scooter for their transport needs, live in a Thai build quality home, rarely eat imported products / meats / fruits etc etc.. Sure if you compromise all those factors in your life you can live pretty cheap, but I came here for a higher standard of living not to compromise.. If I compare what I pay for things to what I would pay in the UK, my home is more expensive for worse quality, my car is way worse for far higher cost, my electric bills are higher (tho in winter UK the heating would nix that) etc etc etc.. Sure plates of rice and noodles are cheap, I can have a cheap maid, but quality items, clothes, electronics, media, technology, etc etc cost way more if they are even available.

I knew a farang that was living on 6,000 Baht a month and supporting 2 children. In his case the Thais gave him rice and hand-me-downs but eventually he gave in, but only 'cause of the 2006 immigration rule changes.
Sorry I forgot to say. Living in Buriram Province off of route 24. Also known as the 'shit hole of Thailand'. Edited by coventry

I know a farang who lives in Pattaya on US Social Security. He seems happy and gets along pretty well on a little more than 20,000 baht per month. He is a balloon chaser but no one minds since he is now about 70 years old.

whats a balloon chaser..excuse my ignorance just wondering ??????????

A big variable not mentioned is 'where'..

Guys who say that by spending 90k a month you have to be propping up a bar I assume dont live in bangkok.

Secondly lifestyles are too variable.. I get a bit bored of guys talking about the great lifestyle they live for 60k when they have no car, ride a scooter for their transport needs, live in a Thai build quality home, rarely eat imported products / meats / fruits etc etc..

you don't need 90k or even 60k anywhere in thailand to have a good car, live in a brand new, western style house and eat all the time imported food. Not everybody needs/wants a car, live in a house if they need only a studio flat or eat processed, preserved or frozen foods, if for the fraction they can have fresh local food just outside the door.

"baloon chaser" - loony

whats a balloon chaser..excuse my ignorance just wondering ??????????

Somebody that looks for the bars that have balloons up which shows that there is a party there and normally free food so for the price of a drink they get feed as well a bottle of water is between 20 and 30 baht

$1000 au is 23647.9 baht as I type this

So yes you could live on $1000 au

Click here to download a free Real time Currency Converter

http://personal.zahav.net.il/personalsite/...ites/inettools/

What's being left out of this discussion is that the OP said that he is on DISABILITY pension. Perhaps that means that he is DISABLED and not that he is a person who is bilking the system and looking for a party spot to spend the taxpayers money. If so, then he might have different expenses and support needs than someone who is attracted to Thailand by the promise of a hedonic lifestyle. Might not it be relevant to know what type of disability the person has before concluding that A$1000 is enough?

Edited by OriginalPoster

Yes...

But it depends on your ability to adapt to your new environment.

Food

Climate

Language

Mobility

Social

& more.

Can you eat rice/noodles every day? More than once a day? For extended periods of time when funds are short? Limited access to western food?

How do you handle the heat? The humidity?

Get frustrated when you can't communicate effectively?

Walk everywhere or local transport? Motorcycle or car?

Socialize predominantly with Thai people? Socialize with local farang who you may have absolutely nothing in common with, except that you are farang?

Lady friends - long term? short term? & the potential drain on your resources.

Have you ever travelled to a 'nearly' third world country before?

A quick search will bring up a couple of topics where members have debated the merits of living in a big city/urban environment as opposed to rural living. Where do you fit in?

Only you can answer these sort of questions & as has been suggested you really need to come & stay in Thailand for a few months to get a feel for the place before you can make any realistic decision.

A few random thoughts that may or may not apply....

Australian men 40+ years old with limited overseas travel experience generally have a harder time adapting to an Asian culture/country. Some struggle & succeed, others don't, & for some it just comes naturally. This is from an unscientific observation of literally hundreds of Thai/farang relationships that I have witnessed over the last 33 years.

Bangkok & big city living - I don't think that you have enough for this option, unless you like being cooped up in a concrete sweat box for most of your day. Bangkok is a cosmopolitan city & as such you require a reasonable amount of money to fully enjoy it.

Pattaya - probably not enough for here either. I think that you will get very frustrated at not being able to join in the fun. Some people seem to be able to do it, they can best tell you how. Not for the weak willed.

Village life - you have to be very comfortable with your own company. Don't be put off by some TV members derogatory comments about going 'native' & general put downs about people wanting to live in the village. Most of the 'luxuries' that are in the big cities are available in country areas, just no chrome poles (but plenty of local style entertainment). If it suits you, go & do it.

Thais are some of the nicest & friendliest people on this earth. When you socialize with Thai families & groups you are guaranteed of having a great time because that is their nature. Like every other country there are thieves & crooks etc. but if you keep your wits about you & choose your company well, these sort of people will have very little impact on your life.

hezdaz, the original poster, needs to chime back in with a bit more about himself. His medical condition, personal habits, preferences, lifestyle, etc.

I know an Aussie disability pensioner who has survived well here for many years (he's still here). He worked part time, which helped get him the visa, but many disabled folk do not work. One advantage was that the lifestyle here agreed so well with him that he threw away his mental health drugs after a year or two. But on 23K and no employment, I do not know how he wold qualify for a visa.

hezdaz, the original poster, needs to chime back in with a bit more about himself. His medical condition, personal habits, preferences, lifestyle, etc.

I know an Aussie disability pensioner who has survived well here for many years (he's still here). He worked part time, which helped get him the visa, but many disabled folk do not work. One advantage was that the lifestyle here agreed so well with him that he threw away his mental health drugs after a year or two. But on 23K and no employment, I do not know how he wold qualify for a visa.

One pretty obvious caveat in all this is currency fluctuations. Do not, under any circumstances, do your planning based only on the current exchange rate if your income is fixed.

Yes, today you will have about THB 23,000 per month. However, not all that long ago, AUD1,000 would bring you in the impressive sum of about THB 15,000. So you have to take this possibility into serious consideration.

Of course, there is an upside, on other occasions you would get THB 35,000 for AUD 1,000. Nobody can predict with any certainty where exchange rates will go. You have to do your planning based on the lower end - I would recommend assuming that you would get THB 18,000 fairly conservatively over the years. If you get more, bank it, against the days when you get less. Because that will happen.

Yes, today you will have about THB 23,000 per month. However, not all that long ago, AUD1,000 would bring you in the impressive sum of about THB 15,000. So you have to take this possibility into serious consideration.

When was the $A worth 15 baht?

When was the $A worth 15 baht?

Very briefly....

August 10 2007 - $1.00 = B14.02

August 3 2007 - B25.75

August 24 2007 - B27.53

Maybe because of this.......

"Monday 13th August 2007 Interbank rate:

GB POUNDS /AUSTRALIAN DOLLARS 2.3833

The Reserve Bank of Australia joined the rest of the world’s central banks on Friday injecting almost $5 billion Australian dollars into the banking system to ensure the global banking system remained liquid. This injection of unlimited cash by the worlds’ central banks seemed to calm markets in the US late Friday; however, it would very premature to say that the worst is over regarding this worldwide credit crunch."