Visa run to penang

I've checked out the links on this site re. visa run from BKK to Penang - all of which only mention the train.

Is it possible to go BKK to Penang by bus, or at least as far as Butterworth?  I would assume, maybe wrongly, this would be quicker?

Any additional info, time/cost of journey appreciated.

Thanks

If you can afford the Super VIP bus from Bangkok to Hat Yai at about 700 baht (only a guess on price as have not taken in years), it is quite comfortable but is an overnight trip.  From Hat Yai to Penang would normally be via van and that can be cramped and smelly, but only about 3 hours and 200-300 baht.  Share taxi, at about the same price if full, is faster and they can provide round trip service including a stop at the Consulate but normally only leave early morning so you might not catch same day.

I did the visa run to penang january of this year.  I did the trip down via bus, and back to bangkok via train.  all in all, the same amount of time required.  you are looking at about 25 hours.  the bus was suppose to take about 18 hours, but things seem to happen along the way down.  train was slow, but somewhat comfortable.  ..would I do it again, you ask?  if I need to save money, yes.  I also did the visa run to phnom penh, and mae sai.  the trip to phnom penh by bus took 18 hours.  the trip to mae sai took 12 hours.  I also did the trip to aranjaphadet.  one way about 4 hours.  for getting tourist visa which requires going to a thai embassy or consulate outside thailand, I recommend - penang.  for simple border run - aranjaphadet.