Father-in-law Dead 7 Years

coventry

Also when I the wife or husband open a business she can make a statement that she opppose and reject that her husband open a bussiness , so in this case she is also protected from debt make by the business. Of course this is possible the other way arround also.

Is this true? That sounds too easy. Where can I view this information please?

Reading the thread with interest here.

If a woman can inherit her (dead) husbands assets, can she not also inherit his debt?

Reason for asking is because my father in law passed away some time ago.

I don't know Thai law, but in my country you can refuse an inheritance, so you get nothing, but you are also no longer responsible for the debts of the diseased person. BTW you must give this statement blind, meaning before any bank or solicitor open the books.

Maybe there is something similar in Thai inheritance laws.

Also don't know about Thai law, but that can be tricky in the case of spouses though because in many jurisdictions communal propriety laws apply - assets & debts of husband & wife are considered to belong to both parties equally. In such cases, if the couple runs up debts that exceed their assets, the death of the husband would normally not absolve the wife of the debts.

Overhere this is only so if she co-signed the loans. That's why many people make an prenuptial with separated property and earnings, to avoid this problem. Also when I the wife or husband open a business she can make a statement that she opppose and reject that her husband open a bussiness , so in this case she is also protected from debt make by the business. Of course this is possible the other way arround also.

If that's the case, it seems that the best thing <financially> for a married couple of marginal means to do when one of them has a terminal health condition would be for the healthy spouse to run up a massive amount of credit card debt in the name of the dying person.

Edited by OriginalPoster

My Thai wife's father has been dead 7 years, and in the last week my mother in law has been contacted twice, by post, to pay off debts alleged to be owed by him, prior to death. Is this a scam ?

Maybe not, my friends wife has been divorced from her Thai hubby for over 10 years and she was contacted about paying his debts (he is now a monk)!

Needleess to say they told them to foxtrot oscar.

'foxtrot oscar' lol, Im having that

If you MUST marry, better do so according to your home country law. If she refuses: drop her.

We are a quality article and I firmly believe that the word partner comes from PART-ner. It cannot be that only the girls make the rules. Request governs the 'market price'.

My PCG told me after 1 month that she would like to change her name. My reply: 'ok - I will call you Harry'. I got away with it and she is still there. I also got away with pointing out that I do not intend to be responsible for outside family business and I still have a friendly relation to her parents.

By the way: did one of us ever claim a Thai family's support because Mom at home needs an operation or a new water buffalo?

There are seemingly guys out there who can be told to bark like a dog while walking on their hands to qualify for a local marriage - and they will do so.

I'm not sure how it works in Thailand but in other countries banks and financial organization usually subcontract debt collection to agencies that will try everything, legal or not, to get back the money. And if you complain, the bank will answer that it is not reponsible for the action of their subcontractor, reason why they use their services at the first place.

As a student I was employed by such company. During the training period I was explained I will have to identify all relatives and friends of the debtor and my job will be to call them, their friends, their boss and colleagues and harrass them until the debtor gives up and pay. I resigned before the end of the training period.

As of now, I haven't been involved in the equation. Only my mother-in-law has, by being sent the letters of claim. My mother-in-law cannot read or write, so my wife then becomes involved. In the second claim they ask about the childrens where abouts, then it involves me. Obviously the land on which my house is on is in the wife's name. Now my problem. Or is it ?
Have they smelt a farang ? " then it involves me."

If you MUST marry, better do so according to your home country law. If she refuses: drop her.

We are a quality article and I firmly believe that the word partner comes from PART-ner. It cannot be that only the girls make the rules. Request governs the 'market price'.

My PCG told me after 1 month that she would like to change her name. My reply: 'ok - I will call you Harry'. I got away with it and she is still there. I also got away with pointing out that I do not intend to be responsible for outside family business and I still have a friendly relation to her parents.

By the way: did one of us ever claim a Thai family's support because Mom at home needs an operation or a new water buffalo?

There are seemingly guys out there who can be told to bark like a dog while walking on their hands to qualify for a local marriage - and they will do so.

Hakim, have you posted in the wrong thread by chance?

The finance company is just having a punt. That is what they do. And given the current market conditions they are probably seeking to get every baht they can from any old debts on file. Better to have their staff chasing outstanding debt than signing up new business / loans.
Byoung2 is basically right. We went to the lawyer today and it's more or less the way Byoung2 puts it. The lawyer said it's a scam whereby they scare naive people into paying out money for nothing. His recommendation was to chuck the received letters, along with any future claims, in the bin.

Thank to all that posted.