Best Striker To Have Graced Premiership

rixalex

His recent form has a lot of Liverpool fans suggesting that right now, Torres is the best striker there is in the Premiership. Don't think there are many who would argue with that, although i don't think we can just yet hail him as the best of this season until this season has concluded. A way to go yet, but looking good for the Spanish wonder.

Anyway, all this talk of best strikers got me thinking about who has been the best in the relatively short history of the Premiership.

I'm guessing a lot would go for Shearer, and i think that bearing in mind he was usually playing in fairly average teams (no offence to all the geordies :o ), he is a good shout.

That being said, my choice would be without a doubt Mr Henry. What a fantastic player, both on and off the pitch. If he ever came back to the Premiership i'd just love to see him in a Man U shirt, although i don't suppose Gunners fans would approve! He did show impressive loyalty to them and they were in my opinion very lucky to have him.

Anyway, who's your pick?

a winging diving git like Ronaldo.

Seeing as you seem unable to post any football related comment without mentioning your hatred for Ronaldo, perhaps you should consider opening a thread on that topic to give you a proper outlet?

Seeing as you seem unable to post any football related comment without mentioning your hatred for Ronaldo, perhaps you should consider opening a thread on that topic to give you a proper outlet?

dont need to mate.the whole civilised world knows it.

dont need to mate.the whole civilised world knows it.

So if the world already knows it, why keep banging on about it?

Alfonso Alves .........

For me at the moment Torres is one of the best if not the best in the premiership at the moment.

On his day Ravanelli had a good season playing in a team that was relegated and lost two cup finals in the right team he would have been one of the best to grace the premiership.

His recent form has a lot of Liverpool fans suggesting that right now, Torres is the best striker there is in the Premiership. Don't think there are many who would argue with that, although i don't think we can just yet hail him as the best of this season until this season has concluded. A way to go yet, but looking good for the Spanish wonder.

Anyway, all this talk of best strikers got me thinking about who has been the best in the relatively short history of the Premiership.

I'm guessing a lot would go for Shearer, and i think that bearing in mind he was usually playing in fairly average teams (no offence to all the geordies :o ), he is a good shout.

That being said, my choice would be without a doubt Mr Henry. What a fantastic player, both on and off the pitch. If he ever came back to the Premiership i'd just love to see him in a Man U shirt, although i don't suppose Gunners fans would approve! He did show impressive loyalty to them and they were in my opinion very lucky to have him.

Anyway, who's your pick?

Van Nistlerooy was pretty lethal when in the box.Unfortuantly he got the sulks when his position in the United team was threatened and Sir Alex moved him on.I think he still had another season or two in him.

Van Nistlerooy was pretty lethal when in the box.Unfortuantly he got the sulks when his position in the United team was threatened and Sir Alex moved him on.I think he still had another season or two in him.

Agreed.

You can't question his goal scoring ratio.

He's the sort of clinical goal poacher that can be invaluable to a team, but even so, given the choice, i'd prefer a striker who can score the pretty goals too. The striker that can go on a mazy run before deftly chipping the keeper, type - Zola being a classic example.

I think Torres is a smashing player and probably the best equipped all round striker in the Premiership,at the moment,but he needs to be around for a couple of seasons more before he can be thought of as the best in its history.

I certainly agree with the choices of Henry,Shearer and Van Nistelrooy.

Hows about Cantona being up there ? Maybe not an out and out striker but anyone remember that amazing two footed "strike" he did at Crystal Palace ? :o

Certainly not the best but Paulo Di Canio...nobody will ever forget him......he was without doubt the most colourful and entertaining striker to grace the Premier League.

and the volley he scored was one of the best ever goals in the Division,

a hero (catching a ball when it was easier to score when an opposition player was injured)

a villian (decking a referee)

But all in all a great addition to the league when he was there...the likes of him are not around anymore, its way to serious

Certainly not the best but Paulo Di Canio...nobody will ever forget him......he was without doubt the most colourful and entertaining striker to grace the Premier League.

a hero (catching a ball when it was easier to score when an opposition player was injured)

But all in all a great addition to the league when he was there...the likes of him are not around anymore, its way to serious

I used to love him, he was super, smashing, great & an absolute pleasure to watch every other week ( cos he only ever played at Home :D )...:o

i disagree with your penultimate bit.

a hero (for catching a ball when it was easier to score when an opposition player was injured and for pushing that little berk of a ref paul alcock to the floor)

a villian (for being a nasty, right wing, fascist get)

I really hate to say it , being a spurs fan, but the arsenal newbie arshavin looks mighty tasty. at the weekend the first had a stroke of luck, but the second was just total class. Barring injury, we may well see the emergence of a true world class finisher here.