Honda To Follow Suit?

Scrubber

Driving past Yamaha Square next to Kad Suan Kaew on a regular basis, I see that Yamaha are selling big sports bikes here. Kawasaki are also doing the same with a 250cc Ninja (ok, not so big) and also a 600 offering. Triumph has a factory outside Bangkok and are selling on Nimmanhaemin. Has anyone heard if Honda are going to follow to follow suit in Thailand (or do already) and start selling larger sports bikes in their showrooms?

No indication of it yet. Rumour has it that the big H has such a corner on the Thai market - well over 50% for well over 10 or 20 years - that Yamaha, Kawa and Triumph and BMW are filling in the niche markets, which makes Honda less likely to follow suit. With the current economic meltdown, who has the extra dosh to buy 10,000 big Hondas? And the company appears to be on a big fuel injection/green exhaust kick as well. I waited till last May for the new Honda CBF250 (which is not so high-tech, not fully faired) and gave up.

Honda was to open their showrooms for big bikes in February, but it is all on hold now due to the economic situation & the vehicle rego emission control laws. The last I heard not all the bikes had passed the strict tests.

Niyom Panich will service the bikes under warranty, but the big bike showroom would not be at normal Niyom Panich premises.

Honda was to open their showrooms for big bikes in February, but it is all on hold now due to the economic situation & the vehicle rego emission control laws. The last I heard not all the bikes had passed the strict tests.

Niyom Panich will service the bikes under warranty, but the big bike showroom would not be at normal Niyom Panich premises.

Hope things turn around - so Honda has a chance at the game as well....

Chris

Hi All,

I drove past the construction site of the Honda Big Wing in BKK a couple of weeks ago and it appears construction is ongoing. There are still workers at the site.

AP Honda does have a big bike site here in Thailand: http://www.aphonda.co.th/superbike/index.asp

On their site they say: “Honda Big Wing” plans to postpone launch of its Honda motorcycle showroom import "Honda Big Wing" until economic conditions are better."

So, guess that means we'll have to wait a while longer before we can expect to see any dealer supported Big Bikes from Honda in Thailand.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Hi All,

I drove past the construction site of the Honda Big Wing in BKK a couple of weeks ago and it appears construction is ongoing. There are still workers at the site.

AP Honda does have a big bike site here in Thailand: http://www.aphonda.co.th/superbike/index.asp

On their site they say: “Honda Big Wing” plans to postpone launch of its Honda motorcycle showroom import "Honda Big Wing" until economic conditions are better."

So, guess that means we'll have to wait a while longer before we can expect to see any dealer supported Big Bikes from Honda in Thailand.

Happy Trails!

Tony

Thanks as always Tony for the update ( have a great time in KL!)

Chris

So, if the Big H is coming with Big Bikes, they have a reputation to uphold here, big time. They could just crowd out the smaller players. Thais love Hondas. The liter-bikes are mostly for show. Some 250 to 500-class bikes would sell well, unless the economic disaster strikes hard here.