Thai Airways Losing Ground

Perhaps its a good job for you that this is a work of fiction. Losing your temper in Thailand is something to be avoided. You would actually know this if you actually do the trips that you claim to do.

Having been there ten times and lived there for a few years I have never seen this from THAI staff. NEVER. Never had a security guard called either.

Also you talk condescendingly about her english? She obviously had a good enough grasp of it to understand that you were losing the plot and she would have to call security. A little bit out of control perhaps?

Oh by the way I come from a country where many died so I could vote, so need to lecture me about "freedom"

There's no way for any of us here to know what transpired between the OP and agent, but the conclusion, "there's no way the Thai Air agent would have done that had the OP not provoked it," is based on naive assumptions.

It may not be the scenario of highest probability, but it is still possible that the Thai Air agent just flipped out.

My ex- and I had a similar interaction with a United Airlines gate agent in Denver back in 1998. Our flight arrived late to Denver, so we missed our connection to Houston. We simply (and politely) asked the gate agent what United was going to do to get us to Houston (as was their legal obligation based on the Contract of Carriage), and she went berserk, and threatened to call security on us.

"Security" is the trump card for any front-line employee who doesn't want to deal with a passenger, and they know it. Follow some of the stories on flyertalk.com and you'll see that when flight attendants "lose" in an interaction with passengers (on what or how service should be provided), they often resort to the "security threat" path. That doesn't mean that passengers aren't often the "bad guy," nor that they don't sometimes deserve to have security called for their behavior, only that sometimes the employee is the true villain.

It does surprise me to hear of this behavior in Thailand instead of the States, but not all Thais are created equally, and it's indeed possible that it happened exactly as the OP states it did.

I don't know if the OP is truthful or not, or who's "right" and who's "wrong," but the bias and assumptions that other posters have made are just unbelievable.

It is hard to believe TG staff would call security to remove a customer for nothing.

It may be hard to believe, but that doesn't mean it didn't or couldn't happen.

In my experience Thai Airways provide very good service.

Every time? You'd bet your life that they're perfect? Down to the very last employee?

I fly > 100,000 miles/year, and I've had good service on nearly every airline I've flown.

I've also had bad service on nearly every airline I've flown.

Your statement essentially states nothing.

I'm just speculating but I find it hard to believe ground crew at Thai acted in that way.

The first 4 words before the "but" are all you needed to write.

The harder it is for you to believe a person would do something, the easier it becomes for them to get away with doing it.

Edited by ajc1970

I dont believe that woman from THAI acted like that, although with a BS attitude like that I would not blame her. Ive been on THAI loads of times long haul and Ive never had a problem at night or morning with the standard of English or the attitude of Thai staff.

As I've said, that Thai Air has given you many good experiences means: nothing. No service is perfect, and they're going to give somebody bad service. So far, that hasn't been you. Congratulations.

That you refuse to believe a Thai woman would behave like that only gives every Thai woman the cover and opportunity to behave like that without facing an repercussions of it. Most wouldn't, still, but some would.

That you both refuse to believe a Thai woman would behave that way AND automatically assume that the customer had a "BS attitude" only shows that you're too biased to be in a position of judgment on the issue. Fortunately for the OP, you're not in a position of judgment on the issue.

If somebody acted like that they would not be in a job for very long.

Actually, it's quite conceivable that they would, because if their co-workers picked up the slack for them, outsiders would never believe that any employee of that company could behave differently than their coworkers. Similar to the attitudes of a few posters in this topic -- such as yours!

Friend of mine came to NZ on Thai, very happy.

Xmas time he made the return trip to Swampy with Emirates and was NOT impressed.

He now prefers Thai, better food and service.

Myself, Thai is best for long journeys, all the time now.

Tripping around S.E.A. on short flites, Air Asia.

Ifind Thai service generally good I enjoy flyng with them and the Aircrew are generally very friendly and human. Not the plastic dolly girls you get with some airlies. However I have had problems wit their grund staff, even at the supervisory level they often do not know their own policies and rules especially for things outside the normal such as whethe an electric wheelchair is carried free.When you have to resort to showing them a printout of their own rules on teir internal website and get them to read it they govery quiet ad it is at that stage problems may occur as they seem to have with the OP.

Sure don't sound like the Thai Airways I knew from years past that ran "Smooth as Silk" Managment changes can do it everytime. I must admit I have heard similar complaints from Thai Nationals :o One Thai Lady friend say she almost got arrest during a complaint over her damage luggages, luckily cool heads prevail she said an all ended well. :D