Growing Seasons And Best Locations For Production In Thailand

Soi224

Hi All,

In my previous life, before wander lust took over, I worked for my family's commercial farm operation in the States. We raised tomatoes, watermelons, peppers (the hot kind) and cattle.

Given the climate and water needs of tomatoes and watermelons, it seems like Isaan would probably not be the best alternative.

Where are these crops primarily grown in Thailand and when, as the seasons here resemble nothing of where I am from. Given the rainy season issues, I would generally assume field planting would start in perhaps October or November from the hothouses.

Am I so far off it is embarrassing? Does anyone here have experience with these crops on a commercial scale?

Thanks,

Soi224

As a rule the North, meaning Chang Mai & Chang Rai areas are the best for fruits and veggies.

Isaan? - well, not the far North Eastern parts (like Kalasin and Loei - both water and soil conditions are big issues), but more towards the Central Plains area - higher parts of Saraburi towards Muek Lek and then onwards thru most of Korat, are also pretty good areas.

Best time to plant? - if you have irrigation and hothouses/ tunnels then really the above is a moot point, the climate in Thailand will allow you to grow pretty much what you want when you want, but if you'r relying on rainfall and growing outside then youre looking to wanting to get most of youre crop production done in the 2nd half of the year.

Good luck

Hi Maizefarmer,

Thanks for the input. Not to worried about enough rainfall as we would setup irrigation, but tomatoes and watermelons are both highly sensitive to water, especially as they get into the later part of the growing cycles. Too much water/rainfall then ruins the meat and makes them mealy.

I'm sure we could look at some through to harvest in a more controlled environment, but I've never been happy with the result of either as these are both 'sun' plants, so to speak, that thrive under good conditions.

Thanks again for the input.

Soi224

Hi All,

In my previous life, before wander lust took over, I worked for my family's commercial farm operation in the States. We raised tomatoes, watermelons, peppers (the hot kind) and cattle.

Given the climate and water needs of tomatoes and watermelons, it seems like Isaan would probably not be the best alternative.

Where are these crops primarily grown in Thailand and when, as the seasons here resemble nothing of where I am from. Given the rainy season issues, I would generally assume field planting would start in perhaps October or November from the hothouses.

Am I so far off it is embarrassing? Does anyone here have experience with these crops on a commercial scale?

Thanks,

Soi224

Your not far off mate, field tomatoes and melons were planted around my area in November and are being harvested now, peppers are a bit later as the rain does not effect them as much as they do multiple pickings of them.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Soi224

Hi Soi224,

In the northeast they do grow a lot of watermelons, melons and tomatoes during the dry season in irrigation schemes where rice is grown in the rainy season.

A lot of sweet peppers are grown in the north in plastic green houses, hydroponically I believe. There is a Dutch guy that has developed that business in association with lots of smaller growers.

I once met a lady who grew tomatoes in the wet season in the northeast (Nakhon Panom) in a greenhouse (plastic roof, open sides) and made good money due to the high prices at that time of the year. The greenhouse is to keep the rain off. (She also produces about $1 million worth of watermelon through making contracts with lots of farmers).

Best regards,

JB.

Edited by JungleBiker

Hi All,

Thanks,

Soi224

Hi Soi224,

In the northeast they do grow a lot of watermelons, melons and tomatoes during the dry season in irrigation schemes where rice is grown in the rainy season.

A lot of sweet peppers are grown in the north in plastic green houses, hydroponically I believe. There is a Dutch guy that has developed that business in association with lots of smaller growers.

I once met a lady who grew tomatoes in the wet season in the northeast (Nakhon Panom) in a greenhouse (plastic roof, open sides) and made good money due to the high prices at that time of the year. The greenhouse is to keep the rain off. (She also produces about $1 million worth of watermelon through making contracts with lots of farmers).

Best regards,

JB.

Hi All,

Thanks,

Soi224

Hi Soi224,

Best regards,

JB.