Drink Drive Limit

BritRakThai

Hi,

I am trying to find out the legal drink driving limit here in terms of beers drunk (let's say small Singhas). I know it's variable on gender, size etc. but does anyone know a fair estimation? I.e UK is 2 pints (?)

I've searched but can only find in mg per litre or such which doesn't tell you much.

Cheers,

Jeff

The real question is..

How much do i pay the police when i blow a positive reading?

Some say 10,000 baht but i have friends who have paid 2,000 baht to keep going..

Remember, always ask for a discount.

Must have been friendly ones as Kamala was 20 - 30k and VERY hard about negotiating.

UK is a .040 and 2 pints is pushing it but not over an hour or so. IIRC thailand is 050 and I would say anything more then 3 bottles would be touch and go. As others point out they tend to see a reading and your guilty long before you get near a calibrated machine (that I wouldnt trust) and you need to make a payoff before going near the calibrated one.

Must have been friendly ones as Kamala was 20 - 30k and VERY hard about negotiating.

I would pay 20-30k, anything is better than getting arrested,sitting in a stinky cell waiting to make bail and have to front a court, sometimes taking over 12 months to finish.

Police don't make money if they charge you though, they would prefer any payment rather than charging you.

It means paperwork and we all know the police don't like work.

Offer what money you have in your pockets and act like a dumb tourist.

I'm very surprised that you haven't been barbequed by the ThaiVisa moral police screaming "zero alcohol limit" or similar. Whilst I agree with that sentiment there are times when you are round a friend's house and he suggests a couple of beers and it would be nice to know how many takes you into the danger zone.

Thereby lies the problem, there is no hard and fast correlation between quantity consumed, blood-alcohol level and ability to drive. No two people are the same and even the same person can behave completely differently on two separate occasions. You must have had the experience of going out on a mission, drinking a shed load of beer and feeling stone cold sober (the reality might be different of course). Then another night you go out, have just a couple of bottles and feel smashed.

There is also body mass to take into account, how much you've eaten that day as well as your exposure to alcohol. Someone who drinks a few beers every day will probably be more able to drink more without exhibiting any effects than a person who drinks maybe once a week.

From my recollection two pints in the UK would be borderline or just over depending on the time lag between finishing drinking and testing.

My advice would be three small bottles should be okay, any more and you are becoming a danger to yourself and other road users around you.

The accepted limit of consumption in NZ where the legal limit is 0.05 (Same as Thailand) is two standard drinks in the first hour and one every hour after that.

Generally speaking the liver takes one hour to process one standard unit of alcohol. A small beer (335mls) with 4% alcohol contains 1.3 standard drinks.

I generally go on the rule of 2 drinks (small beers) in the first hour and one for each hour after that. If you also eat you can be pretty confident you will be well under if following this rule.

In reality for an average sized male (I'm about 90kgs) you can actually drink quite a lot of booze before you reach 0.05. We've had a few nights on the booze using the breathalizers that some friends of mine imported from the states. I was shocked at how much could be consumed and I was still under the limit.

Stick to the rule mentioned above if you are an average sized male and you should be safe - both in terms of the law and more importantly safety!