Making A Bank Account On A Non-immigration O Visa

Is it possible, or do I need a work permit?

If the bank is a joint account with my wife, will that prevent me from transferring funds from my overseas bank... or will they not care if someone Else's name is on the account (all of my overseas accounts are in only my own name)?

I think that Kasikorn Bank is generally the easiest to open a bank account.

A non- O is fine

If you are told that you cannot, just go to a different branch and you will find that you can.

The problem is that some staff don't know, but they won't admit it and will usually not check with a superior.

You can transfer money from overseas into anyone's account, so into a joint account - no problem.

You can open a bank account with Kasikorn holding nothing but a passport with ANY visa stamp (or 30 day visa waiver stamp, for that matter) and an address in Thailand. This can be an hotel you are staying at, your GFs second cousin twice removed's shack on the outskirts of town, an apartment you are renting.......ANY address.

Thats all i had when i opened mine in Pattaya last October, but you should be OK no matter where you are in Thailand

I believe ANY "mainsteam" bank will open an account for you with a non-O

Your other query about joint accounts i know nothing about

Penkoprod

Is it possible, or do I need a work permit?

If the bank is a joint account with my wife, will that prevent me from transferring funds from my overseas bank... or will they not care if someone Else's name is on the account (all of my overseas accounts are in only my own name)?

:D

I have a joint account with my Thai girlfriend in Bangkok Bank. I send money to it monthly for her and the family.

We have both names, mine and hers, on the bank book. Bangkok Bank wanted it done that way.

I normaly transfer money to ...Account #xxxxxx Account name: (mine) and (hers).

It depends on the name on the Bankbook and what the bank in Thailand wants. Most of the time my bank in the U.S. doesn't care who I send it to, as long as I verify the transaction with my PIN number. They just wire the money to the address I tell them.

It is at the Thai end that the bank may ask for both nmes on a Joint account. In my case Bangkok Bank requested I put both my name and hers on the account book about two years ago. Prior to that I simply sent it to the account number in my name only.

:o