Au-pair From Another Asean Country

My wife and I are considering the option - haven't made a decision yet, just exploring to possibilities - to have an au pair from Indonesia (West Papua as a matter of fact) help us out for a year or two taking care of our son.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction where to find information on the possibilities and legalities around this (short of driving to the immigration office and asking)? What is necessary for a work permit? What are the costs of such a work permit? I believe it's not the same as for Europeans...

Your chances of getting a work permit for the au pair are next to zero. The Labor Department will say there are plenty of maids and baby sitters in Thailand already.

Agreed :o

Your chances of getting a work permit for the au pair are next to zero. The Labor Department will say there are plenty of maids and baby sitters in Thailand already.

Thanks... Due to a mistrust of her countryfellows my wife unfortunately won't have a Thai nanny or maid... :S

My wife and I are considering the option - haven't made a decision yet, just exploring to possibilities - to have an au pair from Indonesia (West Papua as a matter of fact) help us out for a year or two taking care of our son.

Can anyone guide me in the right direction where to find information on the possibilities and legalities around this (short of driving to the immigration office and asking)? What is necessary for a work permit? What are the costs of such a work permit? I believe it's not the same as for Europeans...

Theorectically its possible, but it will be difficult, you will need a WP, and to get the extension of stay, you will need to be paying tax on the minimum salary per minimum salary in Thailand for Indonesians.

The work permit cost/hassle will be same, except the minimum salary, you will be paying tax on will be less