3g Is On It's Way To Los

goofie

I read in the local tabloid trash that TRUE and AIS is also doing 3G this year.

I presume like in real countries this will mean geniune wireless broadand across the city.

DTAC article below (copy & paste) :o

www.bangkokpost.com/business/telecom/13537/dtac-will-offer-3g-on-two-bands

Edited by goofie

3g generally means HSPA or one of its flavors like HSUPA etc etc. GPRS/EDGE is certainly not 3G and CDMA is a niche product. Just look at the CDMA phones you can buy - ew.

I do like the title of the post a lot. Yes, 3g is on its way to LOS, as it has been for years and years. Whether or when it might finally arrive is anyone's guess :o

Seriously, I think it will come now that there actually is a reason to have 3G. In pre-iphone times 3G wasn't all that useful except for a few road warrior type laptop users like myself. Only now with iPhone and competitors does mobile data come to the masses. Mobile data has gone from a niche app most people never knew of to something pretty useful and popular. In addition I assume the upgrade cost is pretty low these days, with the technology tried and proven all over the world.

Just read the article - 13% of total revenue from GPRS/EDGE is more than respectable! Amazing, in fact.

Value added services as a whole 13% of total revenue

EDGE/GPRS usage is 35% of all value added services ?

But in any case 13% from VAS is a lot and i will expect it to grow further as pricing for data is very reasonable in Thailand.

On the topic, it seems we have to wait until next year with any 3G. DTAC trial network of 30 sites planned by end of the year indicates they do not expect to get full licences this year...

I read in the local tabloid trash that TRUE and AIS is also doing 3G this year.

AIS and DTAC have been making regular announcements about 'imminent' 3G rollout since at least 2004. It took AIS years even to get EDGE because they kept buying equipment from different vendors (hmmm...).

"Blessed is he that expects nothing, because he shall not be dissapointed".