Planting Friendship Trees With Chiang Mai Friends

CMF

Dear Friends and members,

Chiang Mai Friends Group would like to invite you to join our Friendship Planting Trees under the One Visitor, One Tree Project. The venue is Ban Papai, Doi Saket on 1 APPRIL 2009.

What will you get: A visit to this self-sufficiency village, a break from the city. Your visit will also show your appreciation to the local villagers and campaign for a clean and safe environment.

The project is to plant fruit and long lasting trees in the villager's gardens. There are 279 houses and we are planning to plant around 300 trees. With this project, the villagers can continue to look after the trees. They will prepare fertilizer, and the sticks for supporting the young trees. We will register the trees and our friends will check them each Sunday on our Sunday Afternoon English Class.

Your support: 100 of Baht per person for sharing the cost of gasoline, signs, leaflet and lunch is greatly appreciated. If you cannot go but would like to support the project, please consider a 100Baht contribution, or more and we will plant a tree for you.

We will meet at 8.00 a.m. at the following locations:

1. Car Park of Amari Rincome Hotel : Nimmahemin Road.
  2. Boutique Travel Service : Sridonchai Raod.
  3. Rimping Supermarket, Mee Choke Branch.
  4. Horizon Village, Chiang Mai-Chiang Rai Road (Highway No.118) (8.30 a.m.)

If you would like to take your own vehicle we still appreciate your 100 Baht support.

Directions: take road 118, turn right to road no.1007 to Doi Saket, where you see the large Temple on the top of the hill. Take a right on the 1st traffic light. Pass Doi Saket District Office, then take the first left and follow the blue sign with white letters to Papai Home Stay. It is 9 kilometers from this turn.

To confirm your participation, please contact Khun Tick : Chiang Mai Friends Group Tel 053 206121 , 089 433 4926 by 15.00 P.M. of 31st MAR 09.

It is never too late to solve environmental problems 1 tree at a time. Your tree is important.

Do not love the Environment by saying it.

Your 1 tree will be 1,000,000 trees for Chiang Mai

Many hands make light work!

Edited by PeaceBlondie

I was not familiar with the Chiang Mai Friends group myself, so I searched for some info online to learn more about them since I'm very interested on what they do and I've found the following, I'm posting the info here since I think others can also use it:

The Chiang Mai Friends Group was formally established in January this year but has been working on various initiatives prior to this. The group comprises 142 members, 61 of which are farang. They meet on the last Wednesday of the month in various venues which begins with dinner followed by a ‘Friends Talk’ and a meeting. Their focus is on Green Resource Ethnic Education Networking (GREEN), bridging the gaps between Thais and expats and promoting Chiang Mai’s local people and culture. The ‘Friends’ President, Duenpen ‘Boong’ Chaladlam sees that many Thais are losing part of their charm by trying to assimilate western styles. Through education Boong believes that Thai traditions can be preserved and appreciated by those who possess them.

Every Sunday a group is taken to a nearby village called Baan Papai. The locals are offered informal English lessons in return for a tour of their village. Each visitor is able to plant a friendship tree in the village that symbolises, not only their friendship, but the fight to help clean the environment.

These trips allow foreigners a glimpse into life at an authentic Thai village that hasn’t been created for the flocks of mini - bus tourists. Boong can also arrange home-stays here.

One exciting project they are currently undertaking, in partnership with the Chiang Mai Municipality and other local businesses and organisations, is the Chiang Mai Edible Garden Project. They plan to use vacant land of the municipality, private owners and schools to grow organic vegetables, herbs and indigenous plants. They not only hope to promote Chiang Mai’s local foods, but to support a self-sufficient economy. The growers, in anticipation of becoming independent, are able to borrow funds from the project and pay back once income is earned. The project hopes local hotels, restaurants and schools become interested and purchase the organic goodies for use in their kitchens.

If you would like information on how to become involved, you can contact Boong at 053 206 121, 089 433 4926, //e-mail removed as per forum rules// or visit their website at www.retireinchiangmai.com or www.greenchiangmai.com.

I agree with Lanna Rebirth.... there is always a tree planting ceremony going on. If any of you have been to Huey Tung Tao, there are quite a few trees that were planted last year in a ceremony. Unfortunately, many have now been cut down to make way for a new temple and road right in the middle of the running track. It's too bad.

I applaud the efforts of the Friendship club in trying to promote environmental behaviour. However; I've always wondered if the amount of trees planted equals the amount of pollution/harm created by organizing such an event (ie gasoline, leaflet, signs, etc).

Everyone is very welcome to send any (constructive) idea's and suggestions to help solving the polution in Chiang Mai to the CMFG. It WILL be taken into account. Khun Boong just told me this morning when I visited her at her office.

But as everywhere else, change goes slow.

Of course, best is to start with yourself. Keep your garbage as little as possible. Turn lights off there where you are not, put the aircon a few degrees higher or use a fan instead. Plant plants and trees in the garden that does not needs loads of water in the dry season. etc. etc.

There are many ways one can do already to help the environment we all live in.

Edited by Nienke

Everyone is very welcome to send any (constructive) idea's and suggestions to help solving the polution in Chiang Mai to the CMFG. It WILL be taken into account. Khun Boong just told me this morning when I visited her at her office.

Of course, best is to start with yourself. Keep your garbage as little as possible. Turn lights off there where you are not, put the aircon a few degrees higher or use a fan instead. Plant plants and trees in the garden that does not needs loads of water in the dry season. etc. etc.

well since the topic has been changed as usual, I suggest more people park their vehicles and try riding a bycycle, I've seen more and more people riding lately but not nearly enough to make a positve change.

Bf mused to me the other day about wishing CM had a tram service around the moat and that inner moat was bicycle and electric bus service only.

Can you imagine what a joy it would be to walk around/hop on a bus/ride a bike in the town if it was like that.

I know its only wishful thinking though, and many will say totally impractical..but one can dream.

Anyway...love the tree planting idea. Have sent the details out to a few people in CM via email. Hope to be one of the people who can make it along (on the April fools day tree planting :o )

Bf mused to me the other day about wishing CM had a tram service around the moat and that inner moat was bicycle and electric bus service only.

Can you imagine what a joy it would be to walk around/hop on a bus/ride a bike in the town if it was like that.

I know its only wishful thinking though, and many will say totally impractical..but one can dream.

Anyway...love the tree planting idea. Have sent the details out to a few people in CM via email. Hope to be one of the people who can make it along (on the April fools day tree planting :D )

Another great idea :o

:D :D :D

Very true! Change comes one person at a time, beginning with ourselves.

Nice people. But do we allow advertisements like this? I don't know.

the functions that are organised appear to be commercial with a charge from those targeted. there have been examples, sad to see it getting into thaivisa

Nice people. But do we allow advertisements like this? I don't know.

the functions that are organised appear to be commercial with a charge from those targeted. there have been examples, sad to see it getting into thaivisa

A charge does not imply commercial intent if there is no intention of a profit (like just to cover expenses), also, it seems more like a donation to me, anyway, I'm not familiar with them, but it seems to me that is not commercial. Just my humble opinion. :o I think it's for a good cause.

Whilst being in total support of planting trees - (my own garden is proof of that); it is perhaps noticeable that not many large trees survive in your average villagers garden. As soon as they become of valuable size, they are often sold for either the wood or to be dug up and transplanted to some resort. Whilst planting it might be an idea to slap a "preservation order" on any tree of decent size still standing . Whatever benefits the community are receiving from this organisation should be tied to preserving what is actually standing at present .

No need to check on all the tiny seedlings, you need to check on all the larger trees of marketable value, otherwise they will be clearing those to make way for more free seedlings.

Whilst being in total support of planting trees - (my own garden is proof of that); it is perhaps noticeable that not many large trees survive in your average villagers garden. As soon as they become of valuable size, they are often sold for either the wood or to be dug up and transplanted to some resort. Whilst planting it might be an idea to slap a "preservation order" on any tree of decent size still standing . Whatever benefits the community are receiving from this organisation should be tied to preserving what is actually standing at present .

No need to check on all the tiny seedlings, you need to check on all the larger trees of marketable value, otherwise they will be clearing those to make way for more free seedlings.

As a Thai, every time I read about negative head foreigners I have the questions for you. If you think badly of Thai people, Thai country, why are you here. If you want think our country is not good, I think you have right to leave to where you moved.

For this tree planting, I think the organizer is Thai. To see farangs care for 100 Baht which go for transportation, leaflet, lunch, I want to know if you can pay this amount in your country?

You don't help them, better zip your mount. If you really want to help read the last line "

I am very fed up with farangs. If you start hitting our people, I will be here to hit you back.

As a Thai, every time I read about negative head foreigners I have the questions for you. If you think badly of Thai people, Thai country, why are you here. If you want think our country is not good, I think you have right to leave to where you moved.

For this tree planting, I think the organizer is Thai. To see farangs care for 100 Baht which go for transportation, leaflet, lunch, I want to know if you can pay this amount in your country?

You don't help them, better zip your mount. If you really want to help read the last line "

I am very fed up with farangs. If you start hitting our people, I will be here to hit you back.

I wasn't criticising; I was stating an observed fact which is the case in many areas.

Maybe next time I should write my "criticism" in Thai and then it would be acceptable. :o

You may find that Thais also sometimes disagree with other Thais, as farangs often do with other farangs.

That's just the way it is and criticism is often meant to be constructive.

It is not a Thai bashing thread , so don't try and turn it into one, and I doubt anyone has an issue with 100Bt donation.

There's nothing wrong with planting trees and there's nothing wrong with having a discussion about it.

This is a good point, a practical observation and positive suggestion as I see it. The Thai No 1 farang basher missed the point.

A tree planting effort needs a comprehensive program for follow up maintenance and preservation. In the US city where I was a municipal arborist there were laws and regulations to protect trees from indescriminant destructive pruning practices and removal. Trees over 12" in stem diameter (30cm) need a permit from the city for pruning or removal. (Some cities protect even smaller trees) Pruning regulations prohibit removing more than 25% of the foliar canopy, removal permit applications must document facts of the tree being dead, dying or structurally unsound.

Proper species selection for the site and using native trees for reforestation, good growing and planting techniques, maintenance (watering, soil fertility/fertilization, pest and disease management, cabling/bracing, preventive maintenance pruning, hazard reduction) and preservation laws are part of a comprehensive arboriculture program. www.isa-arbor.com don

post-74166-1237422061_thumb.jpg

I wasn't criticising; I was stating an observed fact which is the case in many areas.

Maybe next time I should write my "criticism" in Thai and then it would be acceptable. :o

You may find that Thais also sometimes disagree with other Thais, as farangs often do with other farangs.

That's just the way it is and criticism is often meant to be constructive.

It is not a Thai bashing thread , so don't try and turn it into one, and I doubt anyone has an issue with 100Bt donation.

There's nothing wrong with planting trees and there's nothing wrong with having a discussion about it.

Write in Thai, then Thai people know better.

Don't you know that your criticism habit destroy a good look of farangs living in Thailand. I have seen a lot on many websites. Now you know why you are treated with out respect as you do not respect the others.

I have met many good farangs who told me that they feel embarrassed seeing some farangs (like CMSALLY) saying things with their farang habit or those farangs who act like they know everything, but DO NOTHING. If you can't see people planting friendship tree is a good idea, then you continue keep your mind blind and live your life with your negative way.

I told you, if you are not happy or cannot respect our Thai custom, you have right to leave. It is your own choice.

Khun Thaino1 , if you read my post correctly you would see that I have no objection against planting trees.

I was merely expanding the discussion from there, I think you have grabbed the wrong end of the stick.

You must learn not to take different opinions as criticisms and you might actually learn something.

And as a sidenote, you will find that not all the posters on here are farangs so be a bit careful when you go farang bashing!

I am the last person you would see go Thai bashing so don't accuse me of such.

If you spent a bit more time with farangs you would know that farangs criticise something when they care about it and want to see improvement; to keep quiet about it , is a sign you don't care. For example if you go to a talk/speech by someone and are invited to give a question afterwards, for everyone to remain silent is rather rude, it implies you were not listening or not interested.

I have met many good farangs who told me that they feel embarrassed seeing some farangs (like CMSALLY) saying things with their farang habit or those farangs who act like they know everything, but DO NOTHING. If you can't see people planting friendship tree is a good idea, then you continue keep your mind blind and live your life with your negative way.

Without the risk of running down the xenophobic path thaino1, I would strongly suggest that you read some of CMSally's previous posts. A most informed and educated poster, that this forum needs more of.

She was merely pointing out the pifalls of of having mature trees in a village environment. I'm sure you have seen the results in the night bazaars around Thailand in the form of tacky wooden ornaments on sale to all those foreign tourists. Maybe if you stopped making those terrible wooden indians, we might have some more trees around.

I am all for replenishing the natural flora, and my home here is a typical example.

EDIT...so sorry I forgot to :o

Edited by Maejo Man

I think you have a problem my friend .In no way did the post require a response like that,just think before you post.

Clearly, CMsally has been unfailry malaigned and has defended her well-articulated and completley reasonable stance admirably. Let's move on to discuss the core of her original point: is CM Friends doing anything to ensure the preservation of existing mature trees? If not and if it somehow prompts the cuttiing down of mature trees, then their well-meaning efforts may actually be counter-productive.

After all, the purpose of the whole excercise is surely to increase the total number of mature trees?

This topic has been allowed to go further then it should have in that it is in violation of the below rule.

"8) All advice voluntarily given by any member in any of the forum which constitute thaivisa.com is provided free of charge, and it is not permitted to either solicit for, or accept, donations, gifts etc. for providing such advice to visitors and members. Likewise, it is not permitted to either steer, or promote, or solicit people to go to locations or businesses in which it is necessary to pay for services or assistance with the exception of thaivisa.com sponsors, who may reasonably promote themselves."

As such I have to close it.