Kamala Blocked.

LivinLOS

As no one is mentioning it I should probably put this up as a public service.

Kamala has been blockaded and you cant cross Patong to Surin on that road.. Was on before, then off, but on seriously now.

Kid from Bang Tao stabbed a Kamalian but he seemed to be related to a Bang Tao big wig copper.. He was arrested in Lala but the BT honco came down and sprung him and the Lala locals are up in arms. So instead of go blockade the police station they block the roads and bring the place to a halt.

Of course the police are no where to be found, not even on the Patong / Kalim road to helpfully tell people its a wasted journey. As it doesnt increase the whisky and mia noi fund why would they.

We were there this morning and have updated the site phuketwan.com with photos of the scene + an update.
At Kamala police station, between six and eight police were sitting in a sala outside, waiting for the situation to be resolved.

hmm busy at work then !!! ..... amazing, how can a group of people manage to block a WHOLE street without being moved on by the police! , this sure is AMAZING THAILAND

Initially it was blocked at the lights so you could loop back round the beach.. I am now hearing they have multiple blocks at the bottom of the hill trapping many drivers trying to return to Patong on both sides.
Phuket Fantasea will not be very delighted, as well as those people who booked the showtime there...

Some Images taken today by my friend who lives in Nakatani village (after Kalim and just before the last big hill that takes you up and over into Kamaly) Photos are by the little police check point and the Tavorn Grand hotel

Traffic chaos by police check point

gallery_32183_1050_26468.jpg

Reverse angle

gallery_32183_1050_69054.jpg

Towards Kalim

gallery_32183_1050_41461.jpg

Tail back up the hill going to Kamal

gallery_32183_1050_8951.jpg

So a knife fight and the assailant was bailed. All the reports make no mention of a deceased so i'm assuming no one was killed.

Don't people get bailed all the time for murder here?

I was in the middle of it last night. The attacker lives on Soi "Ding Dong" (sorry, I cant name the Soi but I have just given a clue to people who know Kamala well). Word is the man is not dead, the victim allegedly was attacked by a Thai guy with a machete and had is hands hacked to pieces while protecting his head. The protest started after news got out that the attacker got released on bail, paid a bribe, etc..

The mob are demanding that the chief of Kamala steps down, and the machete wielding mad man goes back behind bars ! They have now set up marquees and stuff with a Thai guy (might be the Or Bor Tor or someone with similar respect) apologizing to all the Kamala residents, but also asking for support at the same time. The whole population of Kamala/BangTao/Surin have offered support.

Around the blockades there is singing going on and the Thais generally having a good time, similar to the Bangkok airport situation, but of course not quite as big.

This wont be going away very soon. Get your refunds now if you have tickets for Fantasea !

I heard cars and bikes are going through now!

Hope so, I'd like to visit tomorrow.

I found this bad ass hidden temple or something, it's on the Kamala hill. I just found it today, went back to Chalong so I could get my camera and explore further, and ran into the blockade.

Here's another picture from about 1.5 hours ago. This is just before the Kamala Hill.

I didn't realize it until this middle of this post actually, but it was blocked this morning. I thought it was some sort of festival or something, but apparently I was wrong. They just blocked it even further down now, rather than just the heart of Kamala.

post-77465-1237373918_thumb.jpg

Back open.. As to hidden temple.. I guess you just found the old night club

Hm well whatever it is I'm definitely looking forward to making it back up there. I'll post pictures tomorrow and you can confirm or deny this. Being a night club will kinda deny me a little glory but I have to check it out nonetheless :o.

Confirmed, road unblocked, passed without problems at around 19:30.

Anyway I had to drive after a VIP double decker bus on those tiny hill roads, making the journey at 10-20kmh average :o

Blocked or unblcoked it's still a shitty road :D

I am racking my brain for what it was called ?? I did know at some point but it wont come to me now.

I am told it was operating on my first times here which was late 90's.. But I never went there.. The wife before (Phuketian) said it was an outdoor safari type affair.. Looks kinda cool and wish I had experienced it.

From The Phuket Gazette:http://www.phuketgazette.net/news/index.asp?id=7178

KAMALA, PHUKET: A 20-hour blockade of the Kamala-Patong Road ended at around 5:30pm yesterday after Phuket Vice-Governor Worapoj Ratthasima spent most of the morning negotiating a settlement.

The protest began at Kamala Police Station at around 7pm on Tuesday. By 9pm, a 500-strong mob had used vehicles to seal off the main road.

The roadblock inconvenienced many people, including tourists trying to get to Patong to celebrate St Patrick’s Day.

The protest was sparked by anger after police released on bail a man wanted for a slashing attack on 27-year-old Somsak “Big” Maisaphrao, who manages a row of rental houses on Soi Huakhuan.

Mr Somsak claimed that Lunglode Suepsin, 20, and three other men turned up drunk at the block at around midnight on March 6. Following an argument, they dragged him to the ground and hacked him several times with a sharp weapon.

He sustained wounds to his hand and arms requiring 200 stitches.

On the morning of March 7 he reported the crime at Kamala Police Station with relatives and gave police the identities of his attackers.

Accompanied by his uncle Sommit Suepsin, a member of the Phuket Provincial Administration Organization, Mr Lunglode turned himself in to Cherng Talay Police Station at 3pm on March 17. He was charged with assault and bailed out by his father, police said.

Leading the protesters was Kamala Tambon Administration Organization President Jutha Dumluck, who criticized the Kamala Police Station as being unfair in allowing his release.

Mr Lunglode was initially never charged with assault and police released him without informing the victim, according to Mr Jutha’s version of events.

“Somsak’s relatives told police that with Mr Lunglode out on bail Somsak’s life was in danger, but police just told them that nobody knows what the future holds,’’ he said.

Phuket Vice Governor Worapoj and other officials negotiated with the protest leaders and Mr Somsak yesterday morning.

The protesters’ demands included that all officers connected with the case be transferred from Kamala Police, that the perpetrators of the crime be arrested within one day and that all protesters be immune from prosecution.

By 1pm, an agreement had been reached to put the matter before Phuket Provincial Court.

The protest dispersed at around 5.30pm yesterday. Mr Lunglode and at least two other suspects are now in police custody.

I heard cars and bikes are going through now!

I found this bad ass hidden temple or something, it's on the Kamala hill.

5555..."old temple"...my asre!! It's the old outdoor nightclub...nothing there more than 20 years old! >>>

S6300083-2.jpg

S6300087-2.jpg

S6300088-1.jpg

I know I am a little late but I discovered this topic only today. This place was a restaurant, not a night club. It was very expensive (snob!) and the food was really not good at all. The place looked more like a sect of some kind than like a real restaurant. But, it did not last very long (about 2 years, if that long......). It was only about 10 years ago. They left these statues and doors. I suppose some were already moved.....