Phuket Airport Parking Fees

chiang mai

Yes, this is crappy news. It changes the economics of someone like myself, who frequently flies out and leaves my car at the airport for some days. Taxi to my home is 700 Baht, so 1400 RT.

My breakeven under the new rate is 7 days parking, which means I'll still park there for short trips, but it makes me mad to pay exhorbitant rates like this.

*I'm not so sure this increase is because of tourism down, rather I think it's because the airport parking is extremely crowded, often triple deep, and maybe they are trying to clear it up a bit.

Edited by keemapoot

Yes, this is crappy news. It changes the economics of someone like myself, who frequently flies out and leaves my car at the airport for some days. Taxi to my home is 700 Baht, so 1400 RT.

My breakeven under the new rate is 7 days parking, which means I'll still park there for short trips, but it makes me mad to pay exhorbitant rates like this.

*I'm not so sure this increase is because of tourism down, rather I think it's because the airport parking is extremely crowded, often triple deep, and maybe they are trying to clear it up a bit.

Agreed, unfortunately the first three rows of parking closest to the terminal are usually occupied by taxi's who I suspect don't have to pay for parking hence the master plan may yet fail.

Yes, as usual, the taxis are hogging all the spots, and get downright belligerent if you try to park in the first couple rows. I always just go right to the back because I don't want to get my car keyed. Same as in Patong, we are second class citizens compared to the local taxi mafia.

Live with it.

But, you're right, the rate hike will not affect the root of the problem which is all the loitering taxis. it just squeezes residents as usual.

Plenty of parking space in Utah...especially the Salt Lake Area,...Oh and no speed limit also... to test your car out.

Face it folks....Many Thai's are doing there best to <deleted> all the farrang off from Phuket...and many other places ...It was great there for many years... but has long since had its glory days...2005 i think was the sell by date.

Plenty of more Thai money making scams to come....in order to fleece folk ....and ultimately make it un undesireable place to dwell or visit.

Just remember Farrang have No Rights in Thailand....and you can't own Jack S**t there either.

Enjoy

The 50 baht for 24 hour airport car parking at Phuket must have been the best deal for parking anywhere in the world. Had to be increased some time. But it's just typical of Thai thinking to increase in one hit by 4 times. Have they no idea about smaller % price increases every few years. Same with immigration, was 500 baht for extension for many many years, then they whacked it up to 1,900 baht in one go .... TIT ...

Plenty of parking space in Utah...especially the Salt Lake Area,...Oh and no speed limit also... to test your car out.

Face it folks....Many Thai's are doing there best to <deleted> all the farrang off from Phuket...and many other places ...It was great there for many years... but has long since had its glory days...2005 i think was the sell by date.

Plenty of more Thai money making scams to come....in order to fleece folk ....and ultimately make it un undesireable place to dwell or visit.

Just remember Farrang have No Rights in Thailand....and you can't own Jack S**t there either.

Enjoy

I own my car, my condo up North, a house (not the land) in the center of Thailand, my furniture, my bank account and my life, enough?

But thanks for the parking tip about Utah, I'll bear that in mind the next time I want to fly up to Bangkok!

I own my car, my condo up North, a house (not the land) in the center of Thailand, my furniture, my bank account and my life, enough?

But thanks for the parking tip about Utah, I'll bear that in mind the next time I want to fly up to Bangkok!

As long as the immigration will decide that they don't need you anymore and will not extend your visa. Simple enough? You are not a citizen or even a resident here, you are a farang guest, you will stay here as long as THEY want you to stay. You can still own your car, home, condo, furniture and bank account, just you won't be able to use them as you will have no right to be here.

Enjoy! :o

As long as the immigration will decide that they don't need you anymore and will not extend your visa. Simple enough? You are not a citizen or even a resident here, you are a farang guest, you will stay here as long as THEY want you to stay. You can still own your car, home, condo, furniture and bank account, just you won't be able to use them as you will have no right to be here.

Enjoy! :D

Ditto if and when you or I decide to live in most other countries, apart from our native home. :o

Ditto if and when you or I decide to live in most other countries, apart from our native home. :o

Erm most countries I have lived in, if you stayed there on long stay visas for a few years, especially if you paid taxes and married a local, had a straightforward set of criteria to become a citizen.

Erm most countries I have lived in, if you stayed there on long stay visas for a few years, especially if you paid taxes and married a local, had a straightforward set of criteria to become a citizen.

That is true in fact, but in Thailand, the same effect is obtained through the yearly visa process. Even though there is no guarantee of continuity, the practical effect is that many people live out their lives here, with their spouses or gfs, and that is good enough.

Non risk-taking people looking for iron-clad guarantees in life should pick another place to live.

Sorry for destroying your peace of mind, but you're totally wrong ;-) It is a fact for most Asian countries, but in South and Central America it's totally opposite, in some (Panama, Ecuador, Bolivia - maybe more) the only thing you need is to buy a property (yes you can BUY the land and house, no questions asked ;-) and you gain a residency status AUTOMATICALLY! In Brazil you have to invest 50k$, 50k/200k in Costa Rica (special sector like tourism/other activities) in Mexico 200$ real business, and YES - you can own your business - 100% shares ;-) 2-3 years and you can apply for citizenship. Simple as that ;-)

Even in Oz or Canada when you get through immigration process (a big pain in the arse) you are a resident with full rights.

Non risk-taking people looking for iron-clad guarantees in life should pick another place to live.

"Iron-clad"?! A right to having your own home and not being afraid that one day you will have to leave is a BASIC law in my opinion.

In South/Central America they can still scam you, kick your ass, play loud music that doesn't allow you to sleep etc. but at least they can not kick you out of your country (as it is YOUR country, you are a resident there, not a guest) and property. There is nothing "iron-clad" about it...it is just being sane.

Edited by banjanti

Sorry for destroying your peace of mind,

I daresay...there is little you could say that would destroy our "peace of mind." We know all the facts, we are intelligent, many of us are successful, and yet we choose to live here, rather than in some South American expat ghetto with wired fences and broken glass walls. What does that tell you?

I daresay...there is little you could say that would destroy our "peace of mind." We know all the facts, we are intelligent, many of us are successful, and yet we choose to live here, rather than in some South American expat ghetto with wired fences and broken glass walls. What does that tell you?

I wasn't referring to you...but if you insist...

I know that it's a Thai thing to take everything they see in TV as reality, but you are supposed to be "intelligent and successful", so COME ON :o

Get your arse in a plane a travel a bit...I saw expats living in towns and rural areas in Ecuador and especially Panama (check out Boquete - biggest expat city there - show me wired fences and broken glass walls there - I DARE YOU :D ) and CR having their own piece of land and a house, not even a small fence!

I understand the reasons of most old men living a second youth here and I don't deny it, but please get real when talking about the world...

Buying a property in a country you have dubious right to be in is just stupid from an economic point, you are a guest - rent it, it can be a very painfull lesson for someone to find out that they are NOT residents. And that is the only thing I wanted to claim.

Every place has some advantages and disadvantages, for me as a young married male, Thailand is one of the last countries I wanted to live, but as I said I understand reasons of older, thai-married people.

I'm just saying that there are other places that give you much more and require much less, and yes people are nice as well, they smile as well and the language is definitely easier to learn.

Oh boy, another Mormon missionary freak. Just what we need on thaivisa....

Why can't you just do your time in Thailand and then slip quietly back to your backwater?

The 50 baht for 24 hour airport car parking at Phuket must have been the best deal for parking anywhere in the world...

Yes, it was a good deal. Perhaps an enterprising land owner near the airport will open a "Park & Ride" facility.

Perhaps someone 'big' at the airport has already bought the land...

re. the "anti-farang" comments, I don't see that this is aimed at farangs only. I would think there are a lot of pissed off Thais too.

Try parking at heathrow, gatwick or manchester and take out mortgae to pay for it,

so what! 200 baht is about 4 quid ,even with the shit exchange rate it's cheap as chips.

Exactly. I am used to the 50 baht , and 200 is quite a jump. But like paul said it really still is cheap. It would be alot more devastating to the average income thais.

Try parking at heathrow, gatwick or manchester and take out mortgae to pay for it,

so what! 200 baht is about 4 quid ,even with the shit exchange rate it's cheap as chips.

Exactly. I am used to the 50 baht , and 200 is quite a jump. But like paul said it really still is cheap. It would be alot more devastating to the average income thais.

Let's be honest....how many average income thais drive cars and park at phuket airport whilst they take flights out of there?

It's expats and rich Thais who park at the airport..., on and yeah, local taxis. Guess who wins?

The 50 baht for 24 hour airport car parking at Phuket must have been the best deal for parking anywhere in the world. Had to be increased some time. But it's just typical of Thai thinking to increase in one hit by 4 times. Have they no idea about smaller % price increases every few years. Same with immigration, was 500 baht for extension for many many years, then they whacked it up to 1,900 baht in one go .... TIT ...

Spot on Kata man.

Did the same with the tourist visa. went from 8 quid to near on 30 quid in one classic swoop.

It's how the authorities work out here. Careful planning and organisation.

• 3 months later...
Is there "secure" covered parking at the Phuket Airport? How much and where is it exactly?

I'm sure I saw a thread on this, though it was some time ago, but cannot find it on the search facility (sorry).

There is no covered parking avalaible at Phuket airport.

And secured is also a relative term at Phuket Airport as everybody can drive away without paying. ( but smile at the chasier when you do this :) )

Can you kindly advise the short trerm rate? Or its per entry charging once past the grace period?

Dun wanna be charged 200 bahts for parking an hour there to pick up a friend.

There is an hourly rate for the first few hours, not sure, something like 20 baht/hour. Used to be a free 10 minute period to drop off friends.

Can you kindly advise the short trerm rate? Or its per entry charging once past the grace period?

Thanks alot

Don't know the official rate but we picked up a friend a couple of weeks ago and I guess we were parked up for about an hour (maybe a little less) and it was 20 baht.

Thanks alot

Short time rates for parking are around 20-30Baht, depending how long it takes.

When doing this very quick it's free.

Gerd