Fish Identity

We have had this fish for about four months or so, when it was very much smaller. We had him/it in one of the bowl type pond/water features with other fish. Eventually we realized that he was eating them all so we separated him into his own small tank and I added an air pump oxygenator. I have since tried him with other fish of similar size but he is too aggressive and even killed a sucking cat fish that did its best to keep out of his way.

He has now started moving stones from the bottom of the tank in an attempt to make a breeding nest (I guess). I am wondering if I should buy a female to go with him or if that process is not so straight forward. I also wonder if he would be better back in a large bowl pond on his own but without oxygenator?

I actually don't even know what kind of fish he is. He cost me 10baht when we bought him but have seen fish half his size for 200 baht.

Any advice.

Looks like a cichlid fish.

Predator, so he'll eat everything alive.

Never heard of a spices from Thailand, most come from Africa.

They always clean a hole is the gravel to attract the ladies.

Some species will keep the eggs and the small ones in a pouch in the mouth for some time.

Edited by PoorSucker

I believe it is a Flowerhorn (which I think is a cichlid species ). They are quite popular here some of them become quite beautiful when mature.

You are right about it being aggresive. They don't get along well with other fish, They will even try to get people on the other side of the glass.

Google Flowerhorn and see what you find

We have had this fish for about four months or so, when it was very much smaller. We had him/it in one of the bowl type pond/water features with other fish. Eventually we realized that he was eating them all so we separated him into his own small tank and I added an air pump oxygenator. I have since tried him with other fish of similar size but he is too aggressive and even killed a sucking cat fish that did its best to keep out of his way.

He has now started moving stones from the bottom of the tank in an attempt to make a breeding nest (I guess). I am wondering if I should buy a female to go with him or if that process is not so straight forward. I also wonder if he would be better back in a large bowl pond on his own but without oxygenator?

I actually don't even know what kind of fish he is. He cost me 10baht when we bought him but have seen fish half his size for 200 baht.

Any advice.

Unlike some Hybrids, Flower horns are fertile. Looking at the suspected parentage of the various Flowerhorns, it's hardly surprising they are aggressive, and they are Central american species not African. A good coloured fish at about 4'' and you are thinking 800 Baht and more.

Cichlids are not necessarily predators, some are omnivorous and even vegetarian, but they are all territorial to some extent. Even a small species such as the Pelvichromis family will need a 20gallon + tank for breeding

http://www.aqua-fish.net/show.php?h=flowerhorn

Edited by Mosha

Thanks for that info. It's interesting that this fish is a hybrid and does not actually occur in the wild.

My fish seems happy, in that he eats regularly and is colorful, but he seems to have spurts of whizzing around the tank, swimming upside down and doing repetitive routes. Maybe it's just exercise. :o

Oscar

Man I feel tired after googling that.

Flowerhorn is far & away THE most popular fish in Thailand. That's because Thai's believe they are lucky & anyone who gambles keeps one.

They like a big tank - all to themselves.

If I remember correctly they were first bred in Malaysia.