Thai Language Classes In Chiang Mai

canuckamuck

I know this is probably a thread that has appeared many times, but the Thai Visa search function has been much help this time.

I need the name of some good schools that teach the Thai language in Chiang Mai

If this needs to go to Thai language forum, that's fine, but I feel this is mostly a Chiang Mai question.

I will say Payap university, but if you would like private teacher I will say teacher name is Lah. Many people said she teaches very well but I am not sure about her schedule because usually she is very busy. If you are lucky, she might have time for you....her telephone /telephone number removed as per forum rules and sent to the poster/ "choke dee for your study"

Thanks for the suggestions so far, I will check them out.

A lot will depend on your reason to learn the Thai Language.

If you have a genuine interest in learning then the suggestions already given are fine although expensive

If however,your 'want to learn the language' ,is to obtain the 'Ed' visa and thus get a long stay in Thailand ,then the high fees of the suggested schools can be a problem.

There are other establishments that will teach the Thai language for the required number of hours each week,that qualify you to obtain a 'Ed'visa and the cost will be arround 30,000 baht a year.

So it does depend on your wallet and your reason to learn the language.

Edited by gennisis

Currently I have the visa I need, so I can shop based on quality and price.

But your point is valid.

My reason to learn Thai is: I am frustrated with my ability to communicate with the general population.

Although I have observed that even native Thai speakers appear to have an inability to communicate clearly.

Although I have observed that even native Thai speakers appear to have an inability to communicate clearly.

:o So true. It seems they don't understand each other half the time. With even the most basic topics / instructions they have to repeat and go over everything they say numerous times before it's understood.

:o So true. It seems they don't understand each other half the time. With even the most basic topics / instructions they have to repeat and go over everything they say numerous times before it's understood.

To avoid misunderstanding, it happened to me to ask a Thai friend to make a point clear with my Thai worker. After a long talk, my friend would tell me: "He said that and this; but I'm not sure, it's not very clear". So maybe our skills are not the only problem indeed. :D

As for asking the way, last time on secondary roads in the province, I've been told: "to Pai? Just follow the electricty lines, they go to Pai". True, until the next saamyeek where they would split.

I had a very good experience learning at Payap. Unfortunately, I had to give up after the 1st level of reading and writing since they could never gather enough candidates for the 2nd. Waited for more than a year than gave up.

Personnally, I recommend classes instead of individual courses. Learning Thai language is quite demanding and feeling in a group helps you keep the will.

Walen school will offer Thai courses in as little as 3-4 months time. There will be more choices for CM residents.

Walen

www.thaiwalen.com

Well I hope I can wait that long, I do like what I have heard about Walen.

I am sure that when you guys open I will be there checking it out.

Hurry up

Could someone please give more details about the relative cost of different programs?

I have a sincere interest in learning Thai. I'm an advanced beginner. I would like a program that's long enough so I could get a visa to stay for a year. I would like a quality program that's low cost. I would prefer that it not be too intensely full-time, just enough to keep me a little busy.

spacer.gif

Hi all,

I started my thai lessons back in 1997 at AUA. AUA stands for American University Alumni and they run several language shools countrywide, also in Chiangmai.

The good thing is that they teach speaking, reading and writing at the same time, so you gradually learn the script as well, which I believe is so important to fully grasp the language.

After I took some courses with them, I changed to a private teacher, though, to make progress quicker.

You find all details of the school, their courses and prices at their website, look under google for "aua chiangmai" and you will find the site.

Good luck

Wolf

Edited by Wolfe69

I will say Payap university, but if you would like private teacher I will say teacher name is Lah. Many people said she teaches very well but I am not sure about her schedule because usually she is very busy. If you are lucky, she might have time for you....her telephone /telephone number removed as per forum rules and sent to the poster/ "choke dee for your study"

If you are a man and have a woman teaches you the Thai language you will sound feminine. Keep in mind that the Thai language is a tonal language. Women use tones differently then men. Men tend to have a naturally deeper tone than a women does. Best to have a male teach you the Thai language if you are male.

If you are a man and have a woman teaches you the Thai language you will sound feminine. Keep in mind that the Thai language is a tonal language. Women use tones differently then men. Men tend to have a naturally deeper tone than a women does. Best to have a male teach you the Thai language if you are male.

What a load of <deleted>.

Without wanting to sound like a complete wangker (part will be okay), I have never taken a Thai language course and I do speak Thai quite fluently, I would put myself in the top 5% of Thai speaking non-Thais. I can read Thai well enough to find my way anywhere and order anything from any Thai menu as well as get the correct pronunciation from a Thai-English-Thai dictionary.

The way I learnt Thai was to immerse myself entirely, living and working with Thais for extended periods throughout the country. I have spent many long and lonely nights learning the language one on one with female long haired dictionaries and I do not sound feminine when I speak Thai. I know a few who do sound feminine but I think that's the way they want it.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Not sure that at least at early levels it makes a lot of difference whether the teacher is male, female or kathoey. What definitely will make a difference is having a variety of different people of all genders and social types to listen to so that your understanding is better.

Edited by harrry

I know this is probably a thread that has appeared many times, but the Thai Visa search function has been much help this time.

If this needs to go to Thai language forum, that's fine, but I feel this is mostly a Chiang Mai question.

YMCA-8 levels and lots of conversation.

I found the best way is to buy the books they use to teach the 5 year olds to read and write at school. The same way you probably learnt to read and write english. Get youself a nice uni student to correct your pronounciation.

I do not sound feminine when I speak

Unless he's spinning off the go-kart track into the tires....then it gets quite soap opera dramatic I hear :o .

The way I learnt Thai was to immerse myself entirely, living and working with Thais for extended periods throughout the country
Hmmmmm is that what its called.....immersing oneself :D .

As much as it pains me, yes the bugger does speak Thai very well so his advice should carry some wieght.