Do The Trains Have Sleepers

buffaloe

I would definitely recommend a sleeper if you've never experienced being lulled into a state of slumber by the gentle swaying of the train and the clacking of the wheels on the tracks. I'm serious -- I find that both of these things help me to enjoy some of the best sleeps I have ever had. The only problem is that the train staff will try to get you out of bed too early, so they can get their work done as soon as possible.

I take the Bangkok- Udon sleeper around 15 to 20 times a year. The beds are fine but arriving late has become a joke. 2 weeks ago we arrived 6 hours late, the month before 4 hours, last Songkran 6 hours again, always at least 1 and a half hours late. And the cause is nearly always that the locomotive can't hack it up the long incline past Saraburi to the Korat plain, stop, go, pause for a breather, the diesel engine puffs and pants.

No investment, not enough for repairs, spare parts etc.

I have a sneaking suspicion however that it's not the same on the Chiang Mai line as the shiny, aircon only carriages glide past, full of tourists.

The trains are good fun (if you like trains) and comfortable - much more so, in my opinion, than the buses. I sometimes use the sleeper trains instead of flying, as a preference. I prefer to go to the railway station in the evening, and wake up at my destination, instead of staying in a hotel and getting up early for the flight!

2nd class sleepers can usually be purchased on the day of travel. So far I have not managed to get 1st class, and I think advance booking is advisable for that.

There is an interesting web site about the Thai railways calle "Thailand by train". You an find a link here (Mods, am I allowed to give this link? If no), including a brief article I wrote about the Bangkok to Ubon sleeper. It provides all the information you need.

http://www.thailandbytrain.com/ThailandTra...kok%20to%20Ubon

Enjoy!

Mike

Take the nice bus from mochit in bkk, I rode the sleeper to bkk a couple of weeks ago and it sucked, the carriages on the cars are way past worn out and not much sleep being thrown around your bed. I have rode the chang mai sleeper and it is so much better. The bus is half the price with reclining seats and only six hours.

Take the nice bus from mochit in bkk, I rode the sleeper to bkk a couple of weeks ago and it sucked, the carriages on the cars are way past worn out and not much sleep being thrown around your bed. I have rode the chang mai sleeper and it is so much better. The bus is half the price with reclining seats and only six hours.

...but don't take the bus from Morchit at night, as you will have to wait hours until it is crammed to bursting and just a supplementary plastic seat at the back with a crowd of drunken soldiers. :o

After that experience we flew back, and it was worth it.

My wife is on the phone with a friend from Khao Suan Kwang who says the train is free to Bangkok.

Anyone know anything?

My wife is on the phone with a friend from Khao Suan Kwang who says the train is free to Bangkok.

Anyone know anything?

That is for Thais at the back of the train in cattle class. A scheme was introduced last summer and extended in Jan. to May.

<snip>

2nd class sleepers can usually be purchased on the day of travel. So far I have not managed to get 1st class, and I think advance booking is advisable for that.

<snip>

I have to respectfully disagree. I don't know this particular line but there have been several times over the last few years on the southern line where I couldn't get sleeper tickets on the day I wanted to travel and I had to wait.

Anyone know anything?

That is for Thais at the back of the train in cattle class. A scheme was introduced last summer and extended in Jan. to May.

Thanks for the reply.

Now I have to dissuade her :o

i am trying to figure out which way to go to khon kaen when i return to thailand.

:o

Yes you can get sleepers. Depends on the routes, of course, but there is at least one sleeper train on any longer journey.

2nd class sleeper is cheaper, and not much different from first class sleeper, which tends to be much more expensive.

Try to get a lower bunk...some trains have air-conditioning which comes out of a vent near the upper bunk. If you get the upper bunk, you will be cold with the aircon blowing on you all night. The bunks are reasonably comfortable, and you can sleep well.

If the trains are the newer ones and more modern, no problems. There are still some old ones in service, however, and things like toilets may not be up to standards. But it's an adventure, and you meet interesting people, especially if you go the 2nd class route. A lot of backpackers and young people travellng on the cheap. You never know who you'll meet. I once meant a backup singer who had sung with James Brown on a train from Penang to Bangkok. I also meant a monk who was the head of a Thai temple (Wat) in Malaysia, who spoke excellant English, and was obviously very well educated. I also meant a group of Aussie backpackers who had just compleated a walking trip through Borneo. One of the girls said a tribal chief had offered her 5 cows, and a dozen chickens if she would become his next wife (4th or 5th she reckoned). She turned him down, said she was holding out for a better offer.

For the most popular routes, you may need to book tickets in advance. You can buy them at the main railroad station in Bangkok, or some of the travel agents can get them for you. you can also purchase them on the day you want to leave, but some of the most popular routes may already be booked.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

i am trying to figure out which way to go to khon kaen when i return to thailand.
I'm struggling to understand 'buffaloe'. Either he's a wind up merchant or he's genuinely naive. I've read most of his posts and he comes across as being not of this world, or a troll. I hate the word 'Troll' so I assume he's naive. In that case ' buffaloe' get on the Internet and educate yourself.

Edit:- sorry you're posting on here so that's a start.

Edited by coventry

I'm struggling to understand 'buffaloe'. Either he's a wind up merchant or he's genuinely naive. I've read most of his posts and he comes across as being not of this world, or a troll. I hate the word 'Troll' so I assume he's naive. In that case ' buffaloe' get on the Internet and educate yourself.

coventry,if you can not help me you do not need to be on here.

With all the crap on these forums, this topic is trollish? If this isn't one of the better places to get specific questions about Thailand answered, where on the internet is?

i thank all of you for your answers.some people on the forum just like to discredit people for anything they do.i admit some of my english has not been good at times,but people make mistakes.show me one that does not and he will be lying.thank you,bill

How would dear Mr buffaloe travel from one city to another in his home country? Most likely by bus, train, or if more convenient by plane. Why should it be any different here? We are talking about 2 major cities, not rural backwaters! Perhaps he thinks Thailand is so backwards that transport is by Buffalo drawn carriages! As Coventry has said he should perhaps take the initiative and check the internet options for himself!

I travel sometimes by sleeping trains; if I can, I book, for my wife and me, a 1st Class coach. Is a small compartment with two enough big beds (I'm 1.90 mt), a small lavatory, plug, aircon controls, etc etc. I like it! From the South (Suratthan) to Bkk usually the train don't get a big delay. A ticket was little more than 1000 baht (2 years ago). Second class beds are more for the backpackers kind.

I would think it would be better just to go to Mor Chit and catch a bus to Khon Kaen. It is only a 6 hour ride and if you have a good book the time will pass quickly.

If you took a sleeper it would arrive at an inconvenient hour. You have a good selection of times and services by bus. I saw NCA mentioned that is an excellent company with safe quality service. Whatever time you arrive at Mor Chit you can usually catch a bus within an hour.

How would dear Mr buffaloe travel from one city to another in his home country? Most likely by bus, train, or if more convenient by plane. Why should it be any different here? We are talking about 2 major cities, not rural backwaters! Perhaps he thinks Thailand is so backwards that transport is by Buffalo drawn carriages! As Coventry has said he should perhaps take the initiative and check the internet options for himself!

The title of the thread is "Do The Trains Have Sleepers, are they comfortable".

Everyone else seems to have understood this completely reasonable question. What's all this about him thinking Thailand is backward?

Whatever time you arrive at Mor Chit you can usually catch a bus within an hour.

As I said, at night they will wait till the numbers are up to overfull.

By the way, underestimated the missus about the free train.

Too many undesirable fellow-travellers, she says :o

Everyone else seems to have understood this completely reasonable question. What's all this about him thinking Thailand is backward?

Whilst the thread is perfectly reasonable in itself, I think some respondents are taking buffaloe to task. If you were to look at his myriad of posts, some digging up long dead threads, and others asking seemingly inane questions, you might understand the irritation buffaloe is causing a few people. He has a computer and should be able to do basic research for himself.

Whilst the thread is perfectly reasonable in itself, I think some respondents are taking buffaloe to task. If you were to look at his myriad of posts, some digging up long dead threads, and others asking seemingly inane questions, you might understand the irritation buffaloe is causing a few people. He has a computer and should be able to do basic research for himself.

Well said newbie :o