Thai Executions On The Net

Ugots2Believe

THAI EXECUTIONS ON NET

Thailand is to make live internet broadcasts of prisoners' last moments before execution in a bid to deter lawbreakers.

Cameras have already been installed at Bangkwang maximum security prison near Bangkok where nearly 1,000 inmates are facing death.

Nathee Chitsawang, corrections chief, said: "The internet will show how we treat the convicts in their last minutes, including the preparation process.

"But at the time of execution, the viewer will be allowed to see only part of the process."

The broadcasts are designed to deter people from breaking the law and reduce the number of drug dealers, who face the death penalty in Thailand.

The move has been opposed by Amnesty International.

A spokesman said: "The website should not show activities inside the prison and should be mindful of human rights and show respect to the prisoners."

Cameras were installed in a cell in Maricopa Country, Arizona, in the US, several years ago but a court ruled last year the transmissions should be stopped.

One of the appeal judges said the practice constituted "a level of humiliation that almost anyone would regard as profoundly undesirable."

Source :

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13285150,00.html

THAI EXECUTIONS ON NET

Thailand is to make live internet broadcasts of prisoners' last moments before execution in a bid to deter lawbreakers.   

Cameras have already been installed at Bangkwang maximum security prison near Bangkok where nearly 1,000 inmates are facing death.

Nathee Chitsawang, corrections chief, said: "The internet will show how we treat the convicts in their last minutes, including the preparation process.

"But at the time of execution, the viewer will be allowed to see only part of the process."   

The broadcasts are designed to deter people from breaking the law and reduce the number of drug dealers, who face the death penalty in Thailand.   

The move has been opposed by Amnesty International.   

A spokesman said: "The website should not show activities inside the prison and should be mindful of human rights and show respect to the prisoners."   

Cameras were installed in a cell in Maricopa Country, Arizona, in the US, several years ago but a court ruled last year the transmissions should be stopped.   

One of the appeal judges said the practice constituted "a level of humiliation that almost anyone would regard as profoundly undesirable."

Source :

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-13285150,00.html

going to bring in "experienced" personnel from Abu Ghraib too?

PRISONER RIGHTS: Death row reality show axed

Published on Jan 17 , 2005

Justice Ministry halts plan for TV programme on the last days of inmates facing execution

The Justice Ministry pulled the plug yesterday on a plan by the Corrections Department to initiate a reality-show programme by installing Web cams in the cells of inmates on death row and broadcasting live their final moments before they are executed.

Corrections Department director-general Natthee Jitsawang unveiled the plan on Sunday and a Thai-language mass-circulation newspaper, gave the story front page treatment with promises of live broadcasts about executions. Yesterday Natthee reiterated the plan to broadcast live the lives of death-row inmates through the department’s website, but said his department did not intend to show actual executions. The broadcast would be terminated the moment that an inmate was strapped to the execution bed, he explained.

Kitti Limchaikij, deputy permanent secretary for Justice Ministry, countered that such programming would go against the grain of the law. Kitti said he thought the Corrections director-general had simply wanted to promote his department’s website.

Kitti said the website would only provide live broadcasts of visiting hours between inmates on death row and their relatives. When asked about Natthee’s plan, which he did not seem entirely familiar with, he said, “The live broadcasts of living conditions in prison and the execution of inmates could not be allowed as it would violate the constitutional rights of prisoners.

“Inmates would surely not be happy to be subject to minute-by-minute scrutiny and humiliation through the website. Although they have committed crimes, they are still human beings.”

Meanwhile, Natthee said yesterday he wanted to facilitate broadcasts of the lives of inmates on death row at a maximum-security prison to make the work of wardens more transparent to the public. “I would like to remind wardens and inmates who are secretly violating prison rules that they are being watched by outsiders all the time,” Natthee said. “Society can also bear witness to the hard conditions prevailing in prison so people outside will make sure not to end up in there.”

He said he intended to broadcast only the atmosphere before an inmate was strapped to the execution bed, not the actual moment of fatal injection. Natthee added that 65 inmates, five of them women, are currently on death row.

A well-informed source at the Corrections Department said 60 of the death-row inmates were planning to ask the Justice Ministry to cancel the live-broadcast project for fear that it might humiliate them and their families.

Surasee Kosolnawin, a national human right commissioner, agreed that it was unconstitutional to subject prisoners to live broadcasts. “Inmates have their rights to privacy, too,” Surasee said. “They have already been punished by law so they should not be punished again by society imposing further humiliation on them.”

Piyanuch Thamnukasetchai

The Nation

if they do this, they should tape a camera and a mic to thaksins foreheard, so we know what hes up to 24/7. on another note, i think the law on drugs is absurd. alcohol is one of the worst drugs by far. yabaa is probably worse. they should legalize marijuana.

Yesterday Natthee reiterated the plan to broadcast live the lives of death-row inmates through the department’s website, but said his department did not intend to show actual executions. The broadcast would be terminated the moment that an inmate was strapped to the execution bed, he explained.

How tasteful.

If there is any truth to this, this guy should be taken outside and shot. What a ###### idiot.

One TV station was taking SMS comments from viewers about this yesterday. Apparently quite a few would like to see it. There were comments like "yak hen jang luhy!" ("I would really like to see this!"). It's just more voyeurism, not much different from the people (of all nationalities) who are addicted to watching online videos of foreigners beheaded by terrorists in Iraq. Sad...

This is going way too far.

The person who suggested this should publicly be refused the right to call himself a buddhist by the Sangha, because he obviously grasped as much of the Buddha's teachings about compassion as your typical inbred parrot does of quantum physics.

You sometimes hear that "farang mai ruujak greengjai". I think "mai ruujak greengjai is far better than "mai ruujak karunaa".

usual story

point the finger at the falang

How many thais have net access?or could find a url?

You sometimes hear that "farang mai ruujak greengjai". I think "mai ruujak greengjai is far better than "mai ruujak karunaa".

Well said! I love this guy! :o Most Thais cannot say that they're "greeng-jai". They are the worst!

I think it was the thai News

i think you must have been watching a movie.

the executioners never saw the face of the prisoner , who was (they dont use firing squads now) standing behind a sheet with the position of the heart marked on it.

If public executions were re-introduced, there'd be queue's lining up for tickets everywhere in the world.

the executioners never saw the face of the prisoner , who was (they dont use firing squads now) standing behind a sheet with the position of the heart marked on it.

If public executions were re-introduced, there'd be queue's lining up for tickets everywhere in the world.

In Saudi they still have public executions. Free admission for everyone so I've witnessed a few beheadings. It breaks the monotony of work; with a can of alcoholfree beer and something to eat it's a day out.

In Saudi they still have public executions. Free admission for everyone so I've witnessed a few beheadings. It breaks the monotony of work; with a can of alcoholfree beer and something to eat it's a day out.

Absolutely barbaric and if anyone goes to watch this on a voluntary basis in order to break the monotony of work then they are sick. I thought that the idea especially in the Middle East was to rid it of barbarism and not promote it.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know, the last execution of a death penalty in Thailand occurred at least 10 years ago. I have read in many sources that this means that the death penalty in Thailand has been put on an indefinite moratorium.

Regards,

Jem

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but as far as I know, the last execution of a death penalty in Thailand occurred at least 10 years ago. I have read in many sources that this means that the death penalty in Thailand has been put on an indefinite moratorium.

Regards,

Jem

No Jem. There's no moratorium. Business as usual at the Hilton. Lethal injection nowdays.