Connecting Flight In Usa W/ Partner Airline

TonySoprano

Cathay Pacific is partnered with American Airlines if I book HK-JFK-MCO

Will they move our luggage to the MCO flight, just letting us change terminals, or do we have to collect our luggage ourselves no matter what? I cant remember but I have a suspicion that all luggage must go through customs at the entry point and not final destination????

Thanks.

You have to collect your luggage AND clear it through Customs at your first entry point into the U.S., regardless of your final destination. You then check in your luggage again for your onward flight. This applies even if your connecting flight was an international one and you were simply transiting to another flight out of the country. The only exception I have heard to this is when transiting through Anchorage, Alaska, as it is only a refuelling stop and passengers do not get off the plane.

Will they move our luggage to the MCO flight, just letting us change terminals, or do we have to collect our luggage ourselves no matter what? I cant remember but I have a suspicion that all luggage must go through customs at the entry point and not final destination????

Thanks.

Actually, you do not need to check your luggage back in.

The airline should check your luggage all the way through. I have always cleared my luggage through customs and then just outside of customs there is a place to put your checked luggage back into the system without having to haul it to another terminal or re-check it with the airline.

Thanks.

I flew Cathay Pacific. from BKK to MCO last year, ( I live in Palm Coast), we cleared customs at JFK and we took our luggage to the connecting airline ( not very far from where we cleared customs) and re checked them.

Very easy process,

Have a good trip :o