Do-it-yourself Fresh Air ?

orang37

fyi : hope you enjoy, ~o:37;

Kamal Meattle's talk on TED on using three "common" house-plants to create better indoor air :

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/kamal_m..._fresh_air.html

"Green Air" : Create a hydroponic living vertical wall : < found this in one of the comments on Kamal's TED page above >

http://www.flickr.com/photos/isdesigns/3235903486/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alimariekenyon/2477007975/

Here is someone who really wants to get quantitative in his knowledge of how polluted his home-air is : caveat : possibly for electronic geeks only :

www.blackcloud.org

Thanks Orang37 I did enjoy! :D

No question in my mind more plants/trees mean better air. We have planted loads in the garden this year and I am convinced there is a higher oxygen content in the garden than 100 yards down the road. I am rather pleased that I have all three of the ones Kamal mentioned although all outdoors.

Plant more greenery people :o

Great stuff orang37, thank you for posting that. The talk via the first link is short and to the point, very interesting and although it does bring up many questions is still very useful.

For those of us without much of a memory or eye for greenery do you, or anyone else, happen to know the Thai names for the three plants mentioned?:

- Areca Palm (chrysalidocarpus lutescens)

- Mother In Law's Tongue (sansevieria trifasciatia)

- Money Plant (epipremnum aureum)

JxP

Okay, so Google IS our friend:

Mother In Law's Tongue: sansevieria trifasciata "Bantel's sensation": เป็นแซนตัวพื้นฐานที่นักสะสมควรมีติดบ้านไว้. Also a piece in the Bangkok Post.

Areca Palm and Money Plant: chrysalidocarpus lutescens and epipremnum aureum: หมากเหลือง & พลูด่าง go down the list and click on the names for more info in Thai.

I'm done talking to myself; now it's time to go to talk to the plants.

JxP

Yep, cheers for that. Got a few Mother In Law's Tongues and Arecas (although all outside) - two of the Arecas are well matured and go across half the house. Currently have something like 13 different species of palm, including lipstick (Mak Daengs), foxtails, banana (traveler's), wax (Brazilian), windmill palms etc. The garden's pretty full and would also like to load the inside up although her in doors isn't too keen. Will defo have a go at the hydroponic vertical wall though :o

many thanks, Khun JxP; I'm now ready to go to the garden center behind Tesco on the Superhighway tomorrow with :

- Areca Palm (chrysalidocarpus lutescens) Maak-Lueang.

- Mother In Law's Tongue (sansevieria trifasciatia) lin (ling ?) mangkorn

- Money Plant (epipremnum aureum) plu darng

best, ~o:37;