Applying For U S Social Security From Abroad

jaideeguy

FYI, my Soc Sec check is a direct deposit to my credit union in the U.S. I do, however, use Thanyaburi as my mailing address so the 1099 comes here and other mail from the SSA. Same with my IRS stuff, comes here. This has been handy to show that I'm retired here when my wife applied for a U.S. tourist visa.

Mac

I'm about to apply in the same manner (bank in US, Thailand mailing address). Is any percentage withheld for income tax on your payments?

Thanks.

I know the OP is now a happy customer but just a little head's up on my personal experience.

I used the Thai EMS service to send some forms to Manilla. Mailed the forms on 20 July. On 1 August I sent an e-mail to Manilla asking if they had arrived...they had not.

I went to the local Thai Post Office and got an on line verification that an individual at the Embassy in Manilla had signed for the forms on 24 July, 4 days after they were sent.

On 10 August I received e-mail verification the forms had been received by the Social Security Officer.

In other words, it took 17 days for the forms to be delivered from the mail room at the Embassy to the Social Security Administration, in the same building.

Make copies of everything and be prepared for delays.

Can someone please refer me to a discussion about having my US Social Security check sent to Thailand for deposit here? Thanks you--David Butler, keyword vertume

I have my ss wired to my bangkok bank account each month. It is sent the 3rd of each month.[everybody in se asia get the ss sent to 3rd] Why would you want a check sent to thailand or a deposit to a US bank and pay to have it wired to your thai bank account? Bangkok bank will so all the paperwork for you. You need a special account no ATM card and only you with ID can withdraw the money.