Marriage In U.k.

Yes..thats what I did.

Quick visit to the registry Office,sign a chitty and a couple of weeks later back for the cermony (no objections ...nobody knew)and then down to the local boozer for a reception of sarnies,keo-wan and chips. :o

Also no Sin sot or any of that silly business.

Not long after that we were back in Bangers at the Embassy for a 12 month Visa....No Problem.

This followed ion a year later with a day trip to Croydon for an indefinate sticker and now of course 2 years later the "wee red book".

Hi Everybody,

I am curently in the U.K with my girlfriend, she is here on a tourist visa. Iwould like to know if it is possible for us to marry here before returning to Thailand.

Many Thanks.

Why can't my mate make posts from my computer???..keeps coming back to my Login

Sod it..However

same thought ..he said

Absolutely. Get down the Registry Office, Passports, Birth Cerificates, Paper anulling previous marriage(s!).. ,Need papers showing you have lived in their patch, for 2 weeks I think,

They post a message on Registry wall. Back in 2 weeks, after a bit of 5 minute sanctimonious bullshit you are married..oh don't forget 2 witnesses!

BUT when you are back in LOS and want to return UK you will need, of course, visa. Spouse Visa 2 Years is now B18,000...you can get Tourist 6 month Visa...but think future..if you want to go..stay or come and go...they are not keen, to put it quietly, on a mix of spouse and tourist visas.........as to the little red book...presume you are not at that stage yet...Maybe...It does not help..just makes Bank Manager blanch

Be quick. New rules apply from 1/2/05. If you give notice before then they won't apply to your g/f.

Check out the new rules here.

Cheers,

Scouse.

I looked at that - and this paragraph stuck out.

Once you have given notice at a designated register office in England or Wales, your wedding can take place at any register office, or approved premises in England and Wales, or at any registered religious building in your district(s) of residence (apart from an Anglican Church).

Is this really saying that a foreign national (even one that's been Anglican since birth) can't get married in an Anglican church? (I'm already married, so doesn't bother me, but it does seem a bit weird.)

Edited by bkk_mike

Mike,

My reading of it is that there is no prohibition upon marriage in an Anglican church but, rather, no certificate of approval is needed. The IND web page states further on from the paragraph you quoted:-

If you plan to get married at an Anglican Church, you do not require a certificate of approval. You must contact a member of the clergy at the church where you plan to get married to make the appropriate arrangements.

Scouse.

Mike,

My reading of it is that there is no prohibition upon marriage in an Anglican church but, rather, no certificate of approval is needed. The IND web page states further on from the paragraph you quoted:-

If you plan to get married at an Anglican Church, you do not require a certificate of approval. You must contact a member of the clergy at the church where you plan to get married to make the appropriate arrangements.

Scouse.

Well it was as good wheeze whilke it lasted. And I am so happy to see you can now pay using JCB. I believe Japanese Weddings in Scottish Castles is a 'growth market'.It is not only Taxing Taxin who has cottoned onto the potential revenue from Visas etc..Spouse Visa to UK is now B18,000 and when you want Settlement/FLR it is another £250 if you poll up in Croydon, Solihull or yes indeed Scouser's town or wherever holding hands.

Edited by srisatch

Will UK marriages be valid even if the evidence of immigration status presented to the Registrar is invalid? It seems that a church wedding (in the established church) might be the only way that the claim to British nationality of my daughter's descendants in the female line is not going to depend on my marriage to her mother having being valid. Or is incorrectly granted indefinite leave to remain good enough for children born in the UK to be British?

This seems a crazy situation - we need something like a law saying that a person born in the UK to a mother born in the UK is entitled to be British. Proving UK citizenship was going to get complicated enough before, but before descent could be traced back via either parent if the parents had been married. If the validity of marriage depends on immigration status and the like, it is going to get very complicated. Which child will inherit the parents' passports?

Mike,

Scouse.

Isn't that religious discrimination (or even racial discrimination if you add in that the Church of Scotland isn't Anglican).

i.e. Foreigners marrying an English person at the "default" church in England don't pay for the privilege and don't have to get immigration approval, but a foreigner marrying a Catholic person in the church, or a Jewish person at the Synagogue, or at the mosque, or the buddhist temple has to pay and has to get immigration approval, similarly for foreigners marrying a Scottish person at the "default" church in Scotland.

Doesn't exactly seem fair. (in fact it seems sufficiently unfair that I see a trip to the European Court of Human Rights in a few years, either on religious grounds (i.e. it's anti-Catholic), or racial grounds (it's anti-Scottish)).

Edited by bkk_mike

I think you will find you are unable to marry if your gf is in the country on a Visitors Visa. You used to be able to do this (I did it several years ago) but the rules have been changed recently. If you wish to get married your gf will need to return to her country of origin and apply for either an Further Leave to Remain (FLR) or Spouse Visa at the embassy there.

Hi Everybody,

I am curently in the U.K with my girlfriend, she is here on a tourist visa. Iwould like to know if it is possible for us to marry here before returning to Thailand.

Many Thanks.