What Do You Think Is The Future For Bk?

vrsushi

Bk like all cities doesn't stay the same. For one thing, the wife insists that when she went to school, 20 years ago she wore a jacket in the "winter"

So what do the members think will be it's fate? A crime ridden hole that's literally too hot to live in? A modern metropolus that's the jewel of Asia? Something in between?

It will be underwater.

From what I've read this is a very real possibility. I think BKK can be a great city if they deal with pollution. Emissions controls from autos and carbon reductions from Factories. However I don't expect this to be dealt with honestly and openly. Rather I expect the problem to be ignored until the water is boiling and the air is unbreathable. Particularly due to the fact it will cost money and reduce profits in the short term.

I think BKK can be a great city if they deal with pollution. Emissions controls from autos and carbon reductions from Factories. However I don't expect this to be dealt with honestly and openly. Rather I expect the problem to be ignored until the water is boiling and the air is unbreathable. Particularly due to the fact it will cost money and reduce profits in the short term.

Suggest you read: http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5igofs7...mcg3-NRTBLB3fJg

It will be Future Park Rangsit.

LMAO! You made my day. As long as it's not Seacon Square...

The way I see Thailand, so many things that people get hung up on elsewhere on Earth seem to resolve themselves, or miraculously get better (miraculous because you don't expect them to). I actually believe the AFP article, because BKK used to be a mecca in the study of mundane Japanese cars. At one point I saw ALL ten generations of the Toyota Corolla, and all eleven of the Toyota Corona, not to mention rare gems like the Hillman Avenger, Honda N360... and I remember there were plenty of older cars even in 2002. But when I visited last year it was mostly new cars. If it's by policy/incentives that they've done this, that would appear to be a good thing.

When I first moved to Bangkok 20 years ago (I was 9), people where I'm from considered Thailand a backwards country, and we'd have quite the superiority complex over them. But a lot of things I saw back then have improved, generally made better over the years; right now in 2009 it's my own country that's regressed to become more and more like Thailand a few decades back.

The only spanner in the works is this political thing that's been going on for a few years. If you live in Thailand, you know there's always some form of political "thing" going on, but what Thaksin did, and the rise he got out of the other side, that's also happened in my country, it's not

good and it needs to stop. If the Thai folks can understand that democracy is not necessarily progress, they should be in pretty good shape, and Bangkok will continue to be the place people can't justify by so-called objective reasoning (pollution, infrastructure), but secretly enjoy on the most basic , most fundamental of levels. I know I'm being cryptic...

Edited by mezzoninny