Thaksin Not Attending Sister's Funeral

george

Comparing Thaksin's reasons for not coming back

' to avoid 2 years in jail',

and Daw Aung San Suu Kyi's reasons

for 'not daring to leave Myanmarr and have her work stopped,

AND that of Michael Aris, her late husband',

is more than apples and oranges.

He wasn't of Chinese decent, so less worried about this patriarchal tradition.

She likely would have been blocked from returning to Myanmar,

yet SHE has stayed there and remained in house arrest.... in jail effectively.

For what amounts to decades, on principle.

Comparing Thaksin with Ms Aung in this case is like the absurdity of Thaksin comparing himself

to Nelson Mandela and Ghandi. There is no comparing them.

San Suki's husband agreed she should not come to see him, for the reasons stated,

It was more important to him that she finish their work for the good of the country.

Edited by animatic

Comparing Thaksin with Ms Aung in this case is like the absurdity of Thaksin comparing himself

to Nelson Mandela and Ghandi. There is no comparing them.

Agreed. For Thaksin's name to be even mentioned in the same breath as those people, is an insult.

Apples and oranges indeed. On the one hand you have people with honour and integrity who sacrifced so much of their own lives for the benefit of their country, and on the other you have a sad man whose only interest is in what's good for him.

The anti Thaksin sentiments here knows no bounds, would not even let up on his sister's death :o

If I ran into Yingluck, I would give her a nice respectful wei

and my condolences at the loss of her eldest sister.

His own actions and inactions are the topic, not our sentiments about him.

Seems you think it's fine for him to skip his sisters funeral to protect his ass'ets.

And you condone comparing him to Ghandi and Suu Kyi and Mandela too.

I am sure a lot of you living far from your families have been in the situation where you were unable to attend the funeral of a family member or friend back home for one reason or another. If you haven't yet, you probably will

Perhaps you went to see the person before they died (which they might well prefer as a goodbye, rather than you turning up at the cremation instead), perhaps you remembered them in your prayers. ...or as I did, went to a local church during the time of the funeral back in the UK

Whatever the circumstances of your no-show, it is a private matter between you and the deceased.

This topic should be closed now, for beyond the newsflash, debate serves no purpose beyond useless criticism, and sometimes people just need to work things out for themselves.

I agree. Let's get some decency back into this forum.

Post Taksin bashing somewhere else.

The anti Thaksin sentiments here knows no bounds, would not even let up on his sister's death :o

That's the nature of some of the posters here. Just ignore them. They've lost the argument and are clutching at straws to get their opinions across. Should not be on this thread

Mods should close - but of course it is up to them. I am not commenting on Mod policy

That's the nature of some of the posters here. Just ignore them. They've lost the argument and are clutching at straws to get their opinions across. Should not be on this thread

Mods should close - but of course it is up to them. I am not commenting on Mod policy

What argument? Stop trying to make this thread out to be a Shinawatra sympathy and condolences book. As someone has already pointed out, this is not a thread about Thaksin's sister passing away, it's a thread about Thaksin choosing not to attend her funeral. A number of posters here have tried to make an issue of it, as if his sister's death has suddenly made him a better person, and we should all forgive him because of it. Others have tried to equate this with what would happen in the west. The Shinawatra clan is not a western one, the non attendance of the oldest surviving member, who is also the oldest male, at the funeral will be commented on. Thaksin is not tied up in work, he's not so poor that he can't afford to attend, he's running scared. Just as when his wife left him, he's putting his own greed above that of his family's face. Sooner or later it will all get to him, sitting alone in his 5 star hotel room, (self imposed) exiled from his country, separated from his wife, missing his sister's funeral. Couldn't happen to a more well deserving criminal, and all of his own making.

As has already been noted by some members, this is not a thread about Thaksin's sister passing away, it's a thread about Thaksin choosing not to attend her funeral.

As ThaiVisa is a discussion forum, please feel free to discuss.

I may be wrong, but aren't people who actually spend a night in jail barred from holding public office in Thailand? That's why bail is granted on the spot to people who have been convicted but are filing appeals. If Thaksin actually spent a night in jail his dreams of a comeback would have a severe setback.

I noticed that during the video phone-in Thaksin didn't wear black but chose to wear red instead to identify with the UDD. I thought Thai people were supposed to wear all-black or at least refrain from wearing flashy colors for a period of time after a loved one has passed away?

I noticed that during the video phone-in Thaksin didn't wear black but chose to wear red instead to identify with the UDD. I thought Thai people were supposed to wear all-black or at least refrain from wearing flashy colors for a period of time after a loved one has passed away?
Leave no stones unturned....

I think it was already highlighted the phone-in was done hours before he got the news of his sister's passing.

What argument? Stop trying to make this thread out to be a Shinawatra sympathy and condolences book. As someone has already pointed out, this is not a thread about Thaksin's sister passing away, it's a thread about Thaksin choosing not to attend her funeral. A number of posters here have tried to make an issue of it, as if his sister's death has suddenly made him a better person, and we should all forgive him because of it. Others have tried to equate this with what would happen in the west. The Shinawatra clan is not a western one, the non attendance of the oldest surviving member, who is also the oldest male, at the funeral will be commented on. Thaksin is not tied up in work, he's not so poor that he can't afford to attend, he's running scared. Just as when his wife left him, he's putting his own greed above that of his family's face. Sooner or later it will all get to him, sitting alone in his 5 star hotel room, (self imposed) exiled from his country, separated from his wife, missing his sister's funeral. Couldn't happen to a more well deserving criminal, and all of his own making.

Your words betray your real agenda. You are a master of using spurious argument to prove whatever point you wish to make.

The thread is not a condolence book. They're YOUR words not that of others.

" madev him a better person" again, your words.

"Couldn't happen to a more well deserving criminal."

It is so tiresome that the Anti-Thaksinites, are so fanatical in their negative infatuation that they try to bring people's deaths to prove schoolyard points that they have already made ten thousand times in better contexts.

- No-show at a funeral... proves........'yah-boo, you coward. Scaredy cat'

-Granny Niam's tears before she died........ proves........'oh the cruelty of the Reds to invade her bedroom and make her cry'...that from a Minister !

I think it was already highlighted the phone-in was done hours before he got the news of his sister's passing.

Makes no difference. Upon learning the tragic news, why not just pull the plug on the airing of the phone-in as a mark of respect?

Yesterday Samak was in the news saying that Thaksin's downfall had in part been due to getting bad advice from people who were only interested in their own well-being (funnily enough people much like Thaksin himself). I couldn't help but find myself agreeing with our old friend that Thaksin does seem to have been badly advised numerous times. There have been so many occasions when Thaksin could have so easily have extricated himself from the mess he puts himself in - but he chooses the other route that only digs his hole deeper.

Take now for instance. Imagine what would have happened had the moment that Thaksin's sister passed away, he came out and made a statement that he was very distressed to have lost his sister whom he cared for deeply, and that he would immediately come back to Thailand to be with his family at this time - and that he didn't care what the personal consequences for himself that would mean, because his family came first?

What would happen is his popularity which has started to seriously wane, would instantly get an injection of new life. He would be hailed as a hero who loves his family, and all those who have for so long been telling us what a nice guy he really is, would have some proof to back it up.

As well as triggering a ground-swell of public support for himself, he would have put the authorities in a very awkward position. Yes of course they wouldn't have instantly dropped all charges and Thaksin would still have been dealt some sort of punishment - possibly a few months behind bars - but bearing in mind the offences commited, he would get off very lightly i'm sure. Keeping him behind bars would only serve to perpetuate the social unrest. Just the 24 hour demonstration outside of the jail where he would be held, would be disruption enough to put immense pressure on the authorities to offer an olive branch and grant early release.

For the smart man that we are always been told he is, he sure does make some idiotic decisions.

Even looking back to the very start of his downfall - the Temesak deal when he avoided paying any taxes - even then, he could so easily have climbed out of the hole and risen to even greater heights. Just imagine had he maintained his insistence that the deal had been lawful, but that as a goodwill gesture he would give a portion of the proceeds to a charity or some other such act of philanthropy? Yes it would have cost him money but the kudos and respect he earnt from it would have been enormous and i'm sure more than paid for itself in the long run. I think his grip on power would have known no bounds.

How fortunate it is that selfishness and stupidity has prevented this man from having made different decisions throughout his political life that would have guaranteed his indefinite impunity and given him carte blanche to do entirely as he pleased with the country.

Nothing surprising here.

Dis'ing his elder sister for his own political safety.

Mindless comment, and pitiful attempt to smooth it over later. :o

Just too concise for your tastes.

Wrong. Too nauseating for my stomach.

The anti Thaksin sentiments here knows no bounds, would not even let up on his sister's death :D

That's the nature of some of the posters here. Just ignore them.

A forum-veteran after being registered for less than two weeks and going right into the news-section to post at high speed, with multiple argumentative posts each day.

Who could guess... :o

The anti Thaksin sentiments here knows no bounds, would not even let up on his sister's death :D

That's the nature of some of the posters here. Just ignore them.

A forum-veteran after being registered for less than two weeks and going right into the news-section to post at high speed, with multiple argumentative posts each day.

Who could guess... :o

Another unconstructive contribution!!

What has how long a person has been posting to do with the credibility of what a poster says?

Off topic, but what do the initials TAWP stand for

T could be T*****, I suppose. W is obviously W*****, P maybe P******

but want on earth could A be.

Just a wind up. Be more constructive....

Makes no difference. Upon learning the tragic news, why not just pull the plug on the airing of the phone-in as a mark of respect?

.............<<message truncated>>.............

Khun Thaksin should have appointed you as his PR manager cum spin doctor :o

I agreed he could have handled some of matters better........but the buying of ManCity is still considered to be a marketing masterstroke

Perhaps members can help me out here. If a convicted mass murderer or a paedophile died, should we all pay our last respects? Does somebody whom we hold in total contempt suddenly become Mr. Wonderful in people's minds just because he curls his toes up? Was it wrong to wish the more murderous of our WW2 adversaries dead bearing in mind that we executed quite a few of them when the unpleasantness had finished?

Can anybody explain to me why I should feel any compassion for members of the clan who profited from the activities of Tacky and his one time spouse to the detriment of the vast majority of the populace?

:o:D:D

In short. No reason at all. Perhaps if you knew the family well and saw another side hidden from the rest of the world you may have found a reason but apart from that, I think it is purely a personal position to take based on your own feelings for the man and his family.

.............<<message truncated>>.............

Khun Thaksin should have appointed you as his PR manager cum spin doctor :o

I agreed he could have handled some of matters better........but the buying of ManCity is still considered to be a marketing masterstroke

For who? Man City who got rescued from the bad lands, Toxin who made a financial killing or the current owners who took the back door into Premier League club ownership?

Perhaps members can help me out here. If a convicted mass murderer or a paedophile died, should we all pay our last respects? Does somebody whom we hold in total contempt suddenly become Mr. Wonderful in people's minds just because he curls his toes up? Was it wrong to wish the more murderous of our WW2 adversaries dead bearing in mind that we executed quite a few of them when the unpleasantness had finished?

Can anybody explain to me why I should feel any compassion for members of the clan who profited from the activities of Tacky and his one time spouse to the detriment of the vast majority of the populace?

:o:D:D

I wouldn't even try to explain to you.

If you don't want to pay respects just don't post

Perhaps you won't try to explain because you can't? I asked serious questions, the crux of which being questioning the triumph of sentimentality over common sense. Being neither young or stupid I am not certain of anything and felt the need to check on my reality.

Do you doubt that this this now deceased lady was never stopped and asked for tea money when alive. Given her standing in what passes for Thai society do you doubt that she took full advantage of her position? Get real. She was in her maybe small way an oppressor and for that reason, and until I receive valid reasons to the contrary, I will not laud her to the skies or mourn her passing.

I will continue to post whenever I like on any subject of my choosing. I will not be deflected by intellectual pygmies.

Any more argumentative posts and the offenders will be taking holidays.

Be warned... :o

Argument:-

a) a quarrel: altercation.

:D a discussion in which reasons are put forward: debate.

c) a point or series of reasons presented to support or oppose a proposition.

Given the commandment brought down the mountain what is the point of this place? Everybody must sing from the same hymn sheet?

I would consider any suspension due to defending my hard earned freedoms as a badge of honour.