Subway Crash : Chronic Traffic Jams Return

george

SUBWAY CRASH : Chronic traffic jams return

Routes served by underground trains hit as commuters go back to cars, buses

BANGKOK: --Congestion on major roads above the Bangkok subway were worse than normal yesterday. Traffic Police blamed it on the suspension of services following Monday’s train crash.

Traffic was heavier on Lat Phrao and Ratchadaphisek roads and congestion was terrible on Rama IV Road, particularly during the peak period, Traffic Police commander Maj General Panu Kerdlappol said.

“There were more vehicles on the road and more passengers on buses,” he said.

Major General Montri Jamroon, deputy Metropolitan Police commissioner in charge of traffic, said that congestion built up earlier than normal during the rush hour.

Yesterday morning, traffic was heavy as early as 6am on certain roads, compared to 7am before subway services were suspended, Montri said.

He had instructed police stations along the subway route to assign more officers to direct traffic during peak periods.

There were many more passengers on buses yesterday and these were people who normally commuted on the subway, he said.

On Monday morning, an empty train crashed into another carrying about 700 passengers near the Thailand Cultural Centre station. More than 100 people were injured, including both train drivers.

Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra ordered the suspension of services shortly after, saying the subway would reopen once peoples’ safety could be assured.

Bangkok Governor Apirak Kosayodhin said yesterday municipal police would be assigned to assist traffic police in affected areas.

He said he would call on the Mass Rapid Transit Authority, the subway operator, and Bangkok Transit System, operator of the Skytrain, do more frequent safety drills to help their personnel learn how to deal with emergencies.

Meanwhile, the condition of the driver whose empty train crashed into the other train full of passengers is stable.

Thanapol Nithichot can speak to doctors and has less stomach pain. He still has a stiff neck and his tongue, torn in the crash, is being treated to reduce pain, said Dr Wirot Settatin at Hua Chiew Hospital.

The condition of two female passengers who were seriously injured has also improved. One was operated on for a damaged kidney, while the other woman, who suffered damage to her eye sockets, was treated without surgery, doctors said.

--The Nation 2005-01-19

yeah...or switch to some more exercise...having my condo in LadPhrao I gave up yesterday 7 pm, hopped out of the taxi and decided to walk instead....well, can't and won't do so every single day but it's been a nice new experience. Besides, I am 100% sure I was faster than the taxi even though I took a 5-minute 7/11-break as well.