New Bistro & Minimart

TBWG

Dropped in a few times for a few German beers. Not may supporters around but Norbie has to get his finger out his arse and delegate some authority to Manfred who doesn't seem able to go for a tom tit without the ok from Sio Cola !

Hi

I think its more to the point, of getting the right type of person to welcome guests, have some banter with then (if appropriate)and make them want to return.

You know more about business than me,but its just my opinion of whats lacking. Norbie is a really good guy and I hope he has success in this venture.

:o

Dave

Edited by Dave the Dude

You're right Dave. Many people don't do a full or even half business plan before opening a place. Cheap rent ? ok, let's give it a go !

Is there a bar in Buriram where the average guy could drop into and perhaps get some conversation if he didn't bring any mates with him ? now either a bar guy does that himself or you pay a guy to do it. The best bargains are early retired guys who like a drink and have something to say. They have their own income but could do with a boost.

A younger guy, needing an income from a bar (sole income) will need about 40k minimum to live on and at that level he is still going to be skint because there is no way to put anything in the kitty to pay for the annual non imm visa trip back home. Putting him on a WP means putting 2 Thais on a WP (I think it is 2 nowadays) and paying their social (Bt750 max a month each) plus all the WP costs and even company costs and it is not worth it.

So as a minimum you need maybe (if doing food as well)

2 chefs - 15k + 8k

2 waitresses - 2 * 6k

1 boss - 50k

So you have salaries for somewhere coming in about 85k or about 3k a day. Say other expenses, electric, water, TV, rent etc. come in about 2k a day (being OTT here) then you have costs of 5k a day and if it was just beer, with Buriram mark ups at 50%, you'd have to sell 5k/.67=7.5k which at Bt80 for a big Singha would need around 100 bottles going out of the door each day. Impossible.

If food contributions on a cheap menu with Bt95 daily special (2 courses) could be Bt50, then even 50 meals a day would contribute only Bt2500 and you'd still have to shift 60 big bottles of beer.

Cut some costs in the above for sure but whilst the margins are small in Buriram as it is cheap charlie central of the universe ! all the other costs are the same (rent lower a bit) and there is no point cutting 2k off the waitresses a month as it is only Bt100 a day you save. Actually you might need 4 waitresses if open long enough.

Where you save is living in and doing the management thing yourself with your missus by your side. You strip out over 60k o your costs and 50k+ of business expenses but you still need to eat so you will still need to generate 5-7k a day to get by.