Card Reader For A Uk Bank?

tlongdon

Hi all.

I'm trying to do an internet bank transfer with my Nationwide building society account.

Turns out, I need to stick my card in a small free card reader to get a special code, which I then have to type back into the website to authorise the transfer.

Nationwide tells me this card reader is universal (i.e. I can use one from any UK bank). But I didn't bring one back with me.

Does anyone in the Sukhumvit area have one I can borrow for half an hour?

Thanks,

Tim (0891445667)

Hi all.

I'm trying to do an internet bank transfer with my Nationwide building society account.

Turns out, I need to stick my card in a small free card reader to get a special code, which I then have to type back into the website to authorise the transfer.

Nationwide tells me this card reader is universal (i.e. I can use one from any UK bank). But I didn't bring one back with me.

Does anyone in the Sukhumvit area have one I can borrow for half an hour?

Thanks,

Tim (0891445667)

Hi Tim, I have one, but I live just off Sirin Thong Road.

If nobody else can help you send me a PM and you are welcome to borrow mine.

FD :o

Hi

I recieved an email from Nationwide card services informing me due to the fact I live abroad, I am outside of the card reader scheme and should continue as before.

I have made a number of online purchases with no problems.

If you are here fulltime, maybe a call to Nationwide would sort this out.

Dave

Hiya tlongdon,

I have two as they duplicated posting to me and i carried them in my luggage with the spare one should it be needed.

You can have one with my pleasure.

I will EMS you one today if you PM me an address to send it to before 09.30

If not, later, should you not come online early enough, then i will send it tomorrow

Thank you

Edited by sheff_mick

tlongdon

just go into your thai bank .

give them your debit card .

tell them how much you want .

( write it down in figures and numbers and give it to them so you are 100 % SURE they know how much you want )

ask them to get it in gb pounds NOT baht coz you get a better rate

they will swipe the card though their card reader.

they will then ask YOU to punch in your pin number while he picks his nose or does his makeup ?

15 seconds later .

the moneys in your account .

wheres the problem ???

regards ..... dave2

tlongdon

just go into your thai bank .

give them your debit card .

tell them how much you want .

( write it down in figures and numbers and give it to them so you are 100 % SURE they know how much you want )

ask them to get it in gb pounds NOT baht coz you get a better rate

they will swipe the card though their card reader.

they will then ask YOU to punch in your pin number while he picks his nose or does his makeup ?

15 seconds later .

the moneys in your account .

wheres the problem ???

regards ..... dave2

I'm not sure how that helps me do an internet bank transfer between my UK bank and another UK bank.

however, thank you for your valuable input to the discussion.

Can you buy them in Thailand?

I don't think so. I had thought of going to HSBC on Rama IV to see if they had them, before some helpful offers came in from this forum.

However, in Paris (home number 3), Nationwide Building Society mailed one to me there. So I guess it's feasible that banks will post them overseas. They don't weigh much, so it can't be too difficult for them to do it.

But it's a pain in the :o to have to use them/remember to take one everywhere with you.

tlongdon

between my UK bank and another UK bank ..... uuhh ?

where does it say that in the op ? ?

coz i thought you were trying to transfer it to a bank here

never mind , no harm done and the info might be usefull to someone

enjoy .... dave2

• 1 month later...
I need one quickly - if I asked the local banks could I use their one with my UK bank account?

I need to tranfer cash to my UK credit card.

If the card is with your UK bank and you have Internet Banking you can do this online.

If you are trying to get cash from Thailand to the UK card account then the only way is via SWIFT or getting a chum back in the UK to make the transfer/payment for you.

Specify the bank/s, card provider and the amount involved and someone may come up with a solution.

Edited by Chaimai

never heard of these card readers before?

Small baby-calculator sized card reader. You insert the chip & pin style card that the bank gave you in the reader, enter your pin and when the banks' online transfer page shows displays a numerical 'challenge code', you enter that in the reader which in turn displays a numerical 'authorisation code' that you enter in the space on the online transfer page. If it matches what they expect it to be, your transfer is authorised.

RBS International offers this service which I understand is good for transfers between UK domiciled accounts only. They also have iBanking that uses a different card, a different reader and a different web page for moving money to non-UK domiciled accounts.

Coincidentally, I tried to make a transfer with the Royal Bank of Scotland using internet banking today. Likewise, I need a cardreader.

If your bank has this service and hasn't already offered it to you, I would have serious words with their Customer Relations department as they are supposed to keep you updated on the latest secure online transaction methods. Maybe they haven't offered it to you because of your registered address? Some banks don't permit their use overseas just like some banks won't mail your replacement plastic overseas.

I also have an RBS domestic account and never knew that they offered this service as well. I have a UK address for that but haven't been told that online transfers are only enabled by card readers. I will ask the next time I visit!

First time that I have heard that the readers are 'generic' when the whole purpose of using them is added security. Next thing we know, people will be borrowing them for all sorts of nefarious activities. Personally, I wouldn't let the dam_n thing out of my sight even though it needs a card and PIN to work on any specific account.

I need one quickly - if I asked the local banks could I use their one with my UK bank account?

I need to tranfer cash to my UK credit card.

If the card is with your UK bank and you have Internet Banking you can do this online.

If you are trying to get cash from Thailand to the UK card account then the only way is via SWIFT or getting a chum back in the UK to make the transfer/payment for you.

Specify the bank/s, card provider and the amount involved and someone may come up with a solution.

Read the thread Chai, Neer is trying to do an ONLINE transaction and the ONLINE instruction can only be authorised with a card and card reader.

"First time that I have heard that the readers are 'generic' when the whole purpose of using them is added security. Next thing we know, people will be borrowing them for all sorts of nefarious activities. Personally, I wouldn't let the dam_n thing out of my sight even though it needs a card and PIN to work on any specific account. "

I heard this before so I tried a NationWide DBcard in both a NationWide reader and a NatWest reader and both gave a different response. NationWide was of course correct.

never heard of these card readers before?

Small baby-calculator sized card reader. You insert the chip & pin style card that the bank gave you in the reader, enter your pin and when the banks' online transfer page shows displays a numerical 'challenge code', you enter that in the reader which in turn displays a numerical 'authorisation code' that you enter in the space on the online transfer page. If it matches what they expect it to be, your transfer is authorised.

RBS International offers this service which I understand is good for transfers between UK domiciled accounts only. They also have iBanking that uses a different card, a different reader and a different web page for moving money to non-UK domiciled accounts.

Coincidentally, I tried to make a transfer with the Royal Bank of Scotland using internet banking today. Likewise, I need a cardreader.

If your bank has this service and hasn't already offered it to you, I would have serious words with their Customer Relations department as they are supposed to keep you updated on the latest secure online transaction methods. Maybe they haven't offered it to you because of your registered address? Some banks don't permit their use overseas just like some banks won't mail your replacement plastic overseas.

I also have an RBS domestic account and never knew that they offered this service as well. I have a UK address for that but haven't been told that online transfers are only enabled by card readers. I will ask the next time I visit!

First time that I have heard that the readers are 'generic' when the whole purpose of using them is added security. Next thing we know, people will be borrowing them for all sorts of nefarious activities. Personally, I wouldn't let the dam_n thing out of my sight even though it needs a card and PIN to work on any specific account.

Thanks a lot "Mr Long Time"- useful info!

My account is registered at my parents address in Scotland. Maybe they sent me some letters that I never saw.

I've now ordered a card-reader which my mother will send on. :)