Toyota Hilux 1uz (v8) Conversion

INTJ

Just bought a Toyota 1UZ-FE which is a 4000cc V8 petrol engine used in the Lexus LS400 producing 265 BHP. The project is to fit this engine into a 2003 Toyota Hilux Double Cab Prerunner. The existing engine is a 2.5 D4D with an auto box.

The original engine is fine, just underpowered. Total cost of the new V8 with gearbox, ECU and wiring loom was 25,000 baht from Chieng Kong, Bang Phli. They will also give me 30,000 baht for the old engine, so I'm already 5K in front. There were many engines in many different conditions, but I found a later model at a good price. They can start the engine for you on the deck so you can hear it running. This one looks OK and seems to run well.

Being a "Prerunner" (2WD) model makes the whole thing much easier (hopefully).

Anyway, should be a learning curve, this conversion is pretty common down under, and there's a wealth of info on lextreme and toymods.

Should be underway in a couple of days, waiting for a space in the workshop. I'll update the thread with pics as it progresses.

Cheers

post-6819-1237775120_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1237775213_thumb.jpg

Edited by INTJ

Just bought a Toyota 1UZ-FE which is a 4000cc V8 petrol engine used in the Lexus LS400 producing 265 BHP. The project is to fit this engine into a 2003 Toyota Hilux Double Cab Prerunner. The existing engine is a 2.5 D4D with an auto box.

The original engine is fine, just underpowered. Total cost of the new V8 with gearbox, ECU and wiring loom was 25,000 baht from Chieng Kong, Bang Phli. They will also give me 30,000 baht for the old engine, so I'm already 5K in front. There were many engines in many different conditions, but I found a later model at a good price. They can start the engine for you on the deck so you can hear it running. This one looks OK and seems to run well.

Being a "Prerunner" (2WD) model makes the whole thing much easier (hopefully).

Anyway, should be a learning curve, this conversion is pretty common down under, and there's a wealth of info on lextreme and toymods.

Should be underway in a couple of days, waiting for a space in the workshop. I'll update the thread with pics as it progresses.

Cheers

Hi there,

I had several diesel engined vehicles, all with ECU.

Several were rechipped, reprogrammed or whatever.

The best one: A Landrover Defender TD5, reprogrammed chip and bigger intercooler, nearly 50% more power. (Scorpion Racing London, Bhp from 134 to 200; torque from 224 to 310 lb/ft

Drove like a train, had to let it go when coming to Thailand, Thai customs would charge me nearly a cool million baht for importing it into Thailand.

Extra bonus, when driven leisurely, a very frugal use of diesel, minus 10%.

When using all the power for pulling a 3-ton trailer with 110-120 km/h, the mpg went back to the normal engine.

I know, the sound of a V8 is bloody nice, but the sound of a well tuned diesel, be it 4-5-6- or 8 pot, not to spit on either.

And I particularely love the sound of a 5-pot diesel, sounds like a drum!

Very gratifying is the surprised looks on people's faces when all of a sudden a standard looking and sounding diesel powered truck barrels away at traffic lights.

However, no advice from me, just some thoughts.

Would love to see the results.

Good luck with the conversion.

Hansnl

Hmm,

We've talked about it already.

There must be something wrong here, 25k for an engine sounds incredibly low. Less powerful, 4cyl engines in JZ series run up to 80k, three times more.

I think it's the lack of experience with UZ, no one knows what to do with it.

Good luck anywhay, keep us updated.

Hi,

Plus, we did talk about this already, but you chickened out so now I have to step up to the mark :o

I was amazed how cheap the engines were - one shop had 4 engines but they looked a bit oily and covered in sawdust, they wanted 20K each for them but would negotiate. Most places wanted 25K. For my 25K I've got the later engine with lighter pistons, no oil leaks (hasn't been steam cleaned) and clean oil in the engine and box. Absolute bargain IMO, especially when the same shop gives me 30K for the old motor (probably worth more elsewhere, but this is hassle free).

This will stay N/A for sure, the turbos are amazing, but I've had lots of experience of problems with the 1JZ-GTE, but I've been running a 2JZ (N/A) hassle free for 3 years. As soon as you go down the modding road, you've got to be prepared to spend big money. With the N/A, once its in there just forget about problems and enjoy it.

There's bound to be problems, and Plus you're right that the Thai's don't really understand these engines (yet) which is why they are still cheap. The garage I'm using is very good, and have done several swaps for me over the years, but never done a V8. But the guy that does the wiring has done plenty, and wiring is my main concern.

I have a good rapport with them all and I'm sure we'll all come out the other side a bit wiser, and hopefully with an awesome truck.

Cheers

Edited by INTJ

Oh i know where you're coming from, i've been building everything from 5m to 2J engines for the last 9 years. If you run the Megasquirt A/F control system with the 1UZ you can easily bolt on twin turbos and a new set of injectors with no problems, well other than finding a decent dyno to tune with in bangkok.

for 25k that is a good deal, though you could have modified your diesel to go above 300hp,

no matter.

have you thought about what ecu you need to use, to use the std hilux transmission?

friends of mine have done the swap already, he is using a motec m800 so that he can retain std transmission,

later he will modify it to a turbocharged v8, :o

I will use the transmission from the V8, the gearbox and ECU were included for 25K.

The 1UZ will be a tight fit in the engine bay, and may require mounting the air conditioning condenser and the radiator further forward, also the hydraulic fan has to be removed and a large electric thermo put in its place. Other possible issues are the the clearance of the oil filter (may need a remote setup), and the handbrake mechanism on the bulkhead.

Cheers

INJ, do what i did on my triton,

i got a Orginial big size minivan aircon unit, it comes with brackets, as it is mounted under the body. i mounted mine under the chassis, close to the muffler, and i got everything rewired and cabled up.

this gave me full space for my front, as i changed my raditor to a S500 aliminum 2.5", and a 4.2L v8 oil tranmission cooler, not to menation my 4" blitz intercooler.

next time i head to my friends shop i will take pics of the kit for you. they have already mounted it etc, so maybe it would be a good oppertunity for you to check it out, and to ask them for what they need to do etc.....

if you would like that, i will forward you the no. etc.

INJ, do what i did on my triton,

i got a Orginial big size minivan aircon unit, it comes with brackets, as it is mounted under the body. i mounted mine under the chassis, close to the muffler, and i got everything rewired and cabled up.

this gave me full space for my front, as i changed my raditor to a S500 aliminum 2.5", and a 4.2L v8 oil tranmission cooler, not to menation my 4" blitz intercooler.

next time i head to my friends shop i will take pics of the kit for you. they have already mounted it etc, so maybe it would be a good oppertunity for you to check it out, and to ask them for what they need to do etc.....

if you would like that, i will forward you the no. etc.

I done this with a Range Rover once. Very nice and now i'm working on another same project. I 'm fixing a 1 UZ in my Oldsmobile right now. Actually 25'k is very low. I payd 40'k plus costs midification and electric work is under way. Make sure you'll get the papers for the engine to register in the blue book. This is the importanst thing.

yes please make sure you get the receipt for it etc, otherwise you are going to have alot of headaches, they want to make sure of two things, first it engine etc is not stolen, and second more importantly, to make sure all the taxes have been paid etc. :o

Hi,

Plus, we did talk about this already, but you chickened out so now I have to step up to the mark :o

Well, I'm generally happy with my jz, if I had a pickup that weighs half a ton less, I wouldn't even consider uz, there should be enough torque to shovel it around at low RPMs.

Are you building a street racing truck?

I wish Philip had his act ready back when I was looking at my old diesel. At that time his offered power upgrades seemed to low to matter. Things have definetly changed, oil prices are low, but the cost of those upgrades is similar to isntalling jz, so nothing to really cry about.

I might lay my hands on an old MightyX. That puppy is going to get Gte version, for its weight it would really fly. N/A engine with a similar power output would not fit in its engine comparment, I believe.

Most of the 1JZ-GTE engines are well past the "sell by date". Most of these motors are from the early 90's and have had a hard life in drift cars etc.

If I was going turbo, I would only consider 2JZ-GTE.

My car has gone into the workshop today, currently stripping out radiator etc, the engine should be out by tomorrow.

Cheers

post-6819-1238142121_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1238142133_thumb.jpg

A mate has done quite a few of these conversions.

Here's a customer Hi-Lux. V8 manual tranny.

post-63954-1238288089_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1238288059_thumb.jpg

post-63954-1238288070_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1238288111_thumb.jpg

post-63954-1238288133_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1238288150_thumb.jpg

And a Cressida which had an auto up till a few weeks ago...now a 5 speed manual. Was put on gas when the 8 went in.

post-63954-1238288222_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1238288211_thumb.jpg

post-63954-1238288187_thumb.jpgpost-63954-1238288235_thumb.jpg

The 1UZ is a great engine. My mate has one just back from a rebuild that will have 2 hairdryers attached! May even end up in the burgundy Cressida.

I've got a Toyota Sport Rider 1999, would you recommend the 1UZFE engine with LPG conversion? Also, how much would i get for the original 5L diesel engine already in the Sport Rider?

Regards,

Phil Hughes

5L? I thought that Toyota only had 3,0L....

25-30-35k for an old Toyota diesel, I guess, depending on whether it's 3l or 2.5.

>>

When I was aksing around, the shop that did the conversion and LPG installation recommended against Uz, that was it.

I didn't think that having one garage swap the engine and another to install LPG was a plausible idea.

Hi,

Well, I'm generally happy with my jz, if I had a pickup that weighs half a ton less, I wouldn't even consider uz, there should be enough torque to shovel it around at low RPMs.

Are you building a street racing truck?

I wish Philip had his act ready back when I was looking at my old diesel. At that time his offered power upgrades seemed to low to matter. Things have definetly changed, oil prices are low, but the cost of those upgrades is similar to isntalling jz, so nothing to really cry about.

I might lay my hands on an old MightyX. That puppy is going to get Gte version, for its weight it would really fly. N/A engine with a similar power output would not fit in its engine comparment, I believe.

2JZ engines are actually powerfull enought for allmost any cars. But if you spend the money for a engineswap, it's better to do it right and choice a UZ engine. The power isn't the mainconcern about. It's the nice blubbering V8 Sound with headers and separated exhoust pipes. Once you own and drive a V8, you'll never like to drive something else and another thing: You don't need a Stereo System in your car anymore. You only want hear the blubbering V8 Sound.

About the LPG Gas i would be careful with the 1 UZ. I guess it's gonna be expensive to do a valvejob if they get damaged by using of LPG.

5L is the engine code for the older (non commonrail) 3000cc Toyota diesel engine (like 1JZ, 2JZ, 1UZ etc). Its not 5 litre displacement.

Stingray, yes, its all about that V8 sound. There is nothing like it, no need for in car entertainment.

What do you suggest for exhausts ? The stock headers look pretty restrictive, and I'm not even sure they'll fit ! Would you recommend stainless headers ?

I had it in mind to have twin exhausts mainly for appearances, some say the V8 sound is better through a single pipe.........?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3mVYYKmwr0

Cheers

Edited by INTJ

First mock up fit - no real dramas, its tight but the engine clears brake servo and steering, and it looks like I can use existing oil filter setup.

Good to see that V8 in the engine bay, even if it is suspended by a chain for now.

Definitely not enough forward clearance for the hydraulic fan, will have to be electric thermos.

Cheers

post-6819-1238463176_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1238463201_thumb.jpg

Edited by INTJ

My JZ is very quiet at idle but gets very vocal over 3,000 RPM. No need to in car enterntainment, sure, I can't even hear people talking.

Soundproofing in Tiger pickups is just not the same as in the native Landcruiser/Lexus these engines come from.

Another ocnsideration is spare parts. Say you have an accident, the insurance appointed garage has no idea where to get replacement for your parts. Happened to me, luckily my installation garage was practically next door and they sent their own messenger to pickup some water pump parts from Worachak. At least JZ compatible spares are easily available there. That was one of the reasons UZ was not recommended to me.

I was converting my primary car I need to drive everyday, mind you, when I get to play with MightyX things like that won't bother me very much.

The original headers have to be cut down slightly to fit, also there is no clearance between the sump and front torsion bar, which in turn means very little clearance between the cylinder head and the brake servo. Needs about 10mm more, some minor modifications needed.

Also modifying the diesel tank to take an in-tank petrol pump.

post-6819-1238810906_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1238810918_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1238810940_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1238810974_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1238811015_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1238811041_thumb.jpg

With the radiator and condenser back in place you can clearly see there is no forward clearance for the hydraulic fan assembly.

With the torsion bar removed there is 10mm clearance between the head and the brake servo.

Now removed the oil pan to modify so its not sitting on the torsion bar (also this will maintain correct clearance of the head/servo).

post-6819-1238814414_thumb.jpg

post-6819-1238814425_thumb.jpg

5L is the engine code for the older (non commonrail) 3000cc Toyota diesel engine (like 1JZ, 2JZ, 1UZ etc). Its not 5 litre displacement.

Stingray, yes, its all about that V8 sound. There is nothing like it, no need for in car entertainment.

What do you suggest for exhausts ? The stock headers look pretty restrictive, and I'm not even sure they'll fit ! Would you recommend stainless headers ?

I had it in mind to have twin exhausts mainly for appearances, some say the V8 sound is better through a single pipe.........?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3mVYYKmwr0

Cheers

No, defenitifely twin exhousts and stainless headers. They have to use thick material for the headers, otherwise they gonna crack. Thwin exhousts, no mufflers under the car, but put on each side only one muffler or "glaspack type" muffler, on each end of each pipe. This gives the deep sound. If you put the mufflers not on the end of the pipes, you'll not get a deep sound.

quote name='INTJ' date='2009-04-04 07:07:10' post='2639520']

With the radiator and condenser back in place you can clearly see there is no forward clearance for the hydraulic fan assembly.

With the torsion bar removed there is 10mm clearance between the head and the brake servo.

Now removed the oil pan to modify so its not sitting on the torsion bar (also this will maintain correct clearance of the head/servo).

HI

I love your project but as I have asked before can you tell me where you purchased the V8 and who (address) is doing the conversion please??

:o