Shooting Range

mhan77

JimsKnight.

100% aggree that phnom phen is the place to go

you can hire and fire anything you want from a handgun to an anti tank missile ( tank to shoot at supplied )

its fun to watch the budding rambos playing here but im into playing with much nicer things than guns

MUCH more fun to play with .... in my opinion : ) .... dave2

Isn't there a shooting place in Chalong? Don't know what kind of weaponry they use.

yes they do,.. but Chalong is in Phuket and not Bangkok :o

Oooh, got my forums mixed up...

Speaking of Phnom Penh, I believe in Cambodia, some place will let you fire a missile at a cow... Not that I, or any other civilised person, would want to.

The only problem with firing a RPG at a cow is that it is likely to go straight through the cow without detonating. :o

OP - PP is the best place to shoot automatic weapons, there are two or three ranges on the outskirts of the city. If you decide to go nuts and get it all out of your system, take about $500 - $750 USD with you. That should last for an hour or two.

From memory:

M16 $30 per clip

AK47 $25 per clip

M60 $150 per belt (100 bullets)

Sit down 50 Calibre frame mounted machine gun of unknown origin $90 per belt (100 bullets) (Highest sanook factor IMO :D )

Various other guns.

RPG - $150 per shot (and no guaranteed bang unless you hit a solid target square on)

Hand Grenades and land mines - Now not for "directly" for sale.

The only problem with firing a RPG at a cow is that it is likely to go straight through the cow without detonating. :o

OP - PP is the best place to shoot automatic weapons, there are two or three ranges on the outskirts of the city. If you decide to go nuts and get it all out of your system, take about $500 - $750 USD with you. That should last for an hour or two.

From memory:

M16 $30 per clip

AK47 $25 per clip

M60 $150 per belt (100 bullets)

Sit down 50 Calibre frame mounted machine gun of unknown origin $90 per belt (100 bullets) (Highest sanook factor IMO :D )

Various other guns.

RPG - $150 per shot (and no guaranteed bang unless you hit a solid target square on)

Or if your passing thru any given number of countries in the west & various parts of the world you can go past any high school or shopping mall & theres a chance someone will be using one of these weapons :D .

Do the assault rifles use standard ammo or have they been fixed to use 22 caliber rounds? All the places that I have tried in Thailand use 22s.

They use standard ammo sizes, however, much of it appears to be reloads without much thought for QC, and the barrels are so worn, they are quite down on power. TBH though, to anyone that has never let an AK47 rip on full auto before, or try to hit a target at 50m, they would not really know the difference.

i aggree with soundman

when i was in phnom phen the bullets i was offered were definately NOT #issy little .22s

but as soundman says the quality and the punch of what you were paying fairly big bucks for in my opinion .... was QUESTIONABLE ....to say the least

im an old fart of nearly 60 and playing rambo is not my thing .... but its whatever floats your boat .

if you want to pay and play rambo .... cambodias the place to go .

enjoy .... dave2

The M16 is a 5.56mm round so about the same as a .22 anyway. the AK uses a 7.62 round. And all NATO forces use 5.56 now as well.

"Using commercial .223 Remington cartridges in a 5.56mm NATO chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223 Remington chambered gun due to the longer leade.[7] Using 5.56mm NATO mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223 Remington chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice.[8][9] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56mm NATO, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14, but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56mm NATO ammunition."

Allan

Edited by thaicbr

Thats a shame.. When I was there you weren't allowed to shoot the chickens ($15 a chicken) with the AK47 or M16, but only allowed to grenade them.. Its a pitty that ones been taken off the menu.. :D

I think they were implying that they would strap the grenade to the chicken, pull the pin, then run like fuk.. :o

Edited by TopDogger

Used to be able to go to the Chinese army range in Sanya, Hainan Island and let rip with a variety or weapons.. AK47's, SKS's, Auto shotguns, some sort of high cal Chinese sniper rifle, various large frame revolvers and autos.. Oh plus a frame mounted heavy machine gun.. Wasn't that cheap but great fun. They had chickens, bottles or targets to shoot at.. There was a resturant there and I expect that's where the chickens ended up..

post-39406-1237973810_thumb.jpg

>>>>The only problem with firing a RPG at a cow is that it is likely to go straight through the cow without detonating

I actually know a US Marine that was hit in the chest with a RPG in Iraq after going thru the drivers side window of his humvee but it

failed to detonate.

I didnt believe him til he took his shirt off, his torso looked like a jig saw puzzle

• 3 weeks later...

I just posted in another thread before I saw this thread. I dont know much about guns but I tried the AK47 in PP and a few rifles and handguns in Vientienne Loas and it was a good stress releiver so I want to take it up as a hobby. What about a shooting range around Srinakarindra/Ramintra areas with any weapons (doesnt have to be rocket launchers) just smaller hadnguns etc.. with reasonable prices anyone?

PS - The AK was fun though but a bit pricey from what I remember about $30 a clip. I didnt argue the price with the rough cut cambodian chap holding the AK..!

Sit down 50 Calibre frame mounted machine gun of unknown origin $90 per belt (100 bullets) (Highest sanook factor IMO :o )

Soundman, was that the .50 BMG? Actually that is not a bad price per bullet if it is. They're running about $5 per bullet in the USA (and you can't legally own one in Kalifornia).

• 5 weeks later...
Speaking of Phnom Penh, I believe in Cambodia, some place will let you fire a missile at a cow... Not that I, or any other civilised person, would want to.

It was $150 for the rocket, and $200 for the cow about 6yrs ago... :)

haha im sorry but am I the only one that thinks seeing a person shooting a rocket at a cow would be dam funny. Who does that. I would pay to see that hahaha poor cow probably doesn't understand whats happening

Did this a couple of weeks ago in PP. Got to be honest, prices are more than being quoted here I don't know if we went to a different range than the ones being described here or they just jacked the prices. Anyway the range we went too was a bit further down the road from the airport on the way out of PP, it seemed like it was military, guy in uniform at the bit of string on the front entrance...

Anyway, it was $40 for a 30 round clip on the ak47, I think it was $50 for the m16, same number of rounds. The Ak47 was strapped down to a table in it's own firing range, couldn't hold it inassisted, we did ask. Only gun we could free fire was an mp5 which was using .22.

They did have a substantial range of guns and also some big ass tripod mounted (because they are so god damned big) looking machine guns. Anyway I don't know if there is another range or we just didn't know the right people to get the right prices and equipment. I also strongly suspect our TUkTUk got a big kickback for taking us there since every driver in PP wants to take you to the shooting range.

Anyway hope that helps, I believe they also have a range at siem reap? Maybe prices are more reasonable there.

• 7 months later...
The M16 is a 5.56mm round so about the same as a .22 anyway.

Uh, what? You cannot compare a .22LR with an .223 based on the caliber, the bullets are not even close to the same in weight due to different length and shape (5.56 is boat-tail etc).

To make it easy:

Rifle_cartridge_comparison_w_scale.png

'Rifle cartridges - L to R: .50 BMG, 300 Win Mag, .308 Winchester, 7.62 Russian Short, 5.56 NATO, .22 LR'