Visa enquiry

Hello i,m a firstimer,

My Thai girlfriend has applied for a visa to England(tourist visa)She,s had an interview where she was given a hard time.She has been told to come back again next week.Is there any reason why they have told her to come back--I thought they would tell her yes/no to visa after the interview.She lives in Surin so its a 900km round trip.Any thoughts out there?

By the way,i,ve known her for 2 years,shes not a bargirl,is educated,has a degree but recently lost her job ???

Hi Russty,

My dealings have been with the Australian Embassy so I'm constructing my thoughts on what I know of them.

It would be most unusual for your embassy to ask your girlfriend to come back if they had rejected her application.

In the case for rejection, it is the usual practice for the interviewer to give the applicant a paper that explains the reason for rejection.

Normally they ask applicants to come back only when the embassy requires more information, usually in the form of records, proofs or some other information needed to satisfy the whims of the interviewer.

I'm assuming that you have already provided a letter to the embassy indicating that you will be responsible for her welfare, expenses etc. and giving your guarantee that she will not be seeking employment whilst in your country.

You could also attach some papers that show that your financial situation is healthy. (photostat copy of your bank book, copy of the deed to your house, certificate of earnings from your employer etc. etc.)

If you haven't done this it is most difficult for a single Thai girl to get a visa unless she has a huge bank account of her own.

Without a job, more difficult.

You may also find that they will require her to undergo a medical check before issuing a visa.

I hope this helps you. Good luck.  

:o

Hi Russty,

Having only experiences with the German embassy but since we are talking Europe and a tourist visa valid for the so-called Schenger states the procedure is most likely the same:

Yes, all the visa applicant have to go trough a rough personal interview. The person, however, taking the interview is NOT the decision maker but only the fact taker just taking notes of the answers and passing them onto the consul in charge. Therefore a visa is never granted immediately but rather requires about 2 days. After the interview no guarantee or promises can be provided since the final decision is beyond the interviewers control.

Since the application has to be made in person and the decision  /visa needs to be picked up in person it is surely a real hassle for those people coming from far distant promises but anyway this certainly does not concern the embassies to much.  The logic behind their point of view is obvious: Sincere people do not mind that hassle(!!??).

All behind that tough questioning is to find out that there is enough solid back-up that the visa applicant will actually return to Thailand and not disappear all of a sudden as soon touching foreign ground.

As evidence for a return the following will be accepted:

- Own children in Thailand

- A legally married husband/wife remaining in Thailand

- Unmovable property (land/house) in the visa applicants own name

- Own  long term business or working relationship backed by a working contract, regular income, solid long term bank statements, insurances etc.

Attention: Parents, brothers, sisters are NOT considered as true dependants and hence are not good enough as evidence for a return. ONLY spouse and/or children are accepted! Third parties commitments and assurance of signing liable that the visitor will return do not count either!

Even if a foreigner commits himself/herself to take care means providing accommodation, financial support etc. this is not sufficient because the issue of actual return to Thailand is not covered which is what the entire procedure is all about.

If the applicant is single, has no children or any other solid bindings in Thailand the odds that a visa will be granted are  very low nowadays. The interest of the country to stay clean from illegal immigrants is considered superior over the interest of individuals and when in doubt a visa will rather be refused than granted.  

The embassies do not have to explain why a visa has been refused but if it has happened the applicant may give it a another shot by providing additional documents (assurances of return) not handed when making the original application.

Russty, if your girlfriend has children here in Thailand this will improve her chances significantly particularly since she is unemployed now.

Good luck.

Russty , it's quite common for the UK Embassy to delay the decision by a week or even more.

My wife , when applying for a tourist visa, ( 7 years ago , before marriage etc) was given a hard time ( They all are unfortunately) and she was asked to come back a week later.

She was turned down.

It is a lot easier to gain a visa to Germany than UK , a sad but true fact. If you girlfriend hasn't got proof of a job or substantial savings, she will not get a tourist visa to UK.

They need proof that she will return after the holiday.

The Uk embassy never ask for a medical for a visa, this would be done at the Uk airport she lands at.

I know this because a friend worked at the Embassy for 2 years , and from experiences of 30  or so friends having Thai wives in UK.

Good Luck

Hi Russty,

Having only experiences with the German embassy but since we are talking Europe and a tourist visa valid for the so-called Schenger states the procedure is most likely the same:.

Russty, We (the UK) are not part of the Schenger agreement.  So the UK would be the sole country your GF would be able to visit (I understand the for other european countries if they belong to the Schenger agreement it allows that person holding a Visa for let's say Germany to also travel to other countries belonging to this agreement without further Visa regulations, However it is a tourist Visa this may be different). Tok long with Richard there are quite rigeous procedures in place, Make sure you GF knows everthing about your family IE names and ages, where you live etc the ins and outs of a Ducks Arse !!!!! The interviews aren't a walk in the park and the more evidence you supply to the Emabassy concreting your relationship the better !!, When i was trying for my now wife go over to UK for a holiday they wouldn't have any of it eventhough i submitted bank statements, photo's, letters, phone bills etc etc and they rejected us in the first instant ?!!!?, However seems to me that if they have asked your GF to go away and come back you may well have got past the initial and highest hurdle. Not wanting to piss on your chips but you will have to sit tight and wait and see, No doubt your GF will have to go through another interview so get your story straight between you and keep as it was the last time and i'm sure they will let you GF visit you in good old rigid,cold and miserable Angkrit..tee hee.

For your info they never gave my now wife a visitors visa we were offered a six month fiances visa !, Which you do not have to marry after the six months and your GF can return to Thailand with no questions ask, But if you wanted to obtain further visas for your GF then that may raise some questions unless you decide to marry towards the end of the six month visa requirement. This visa seems to be used more as unfortunatley even in this day and age there are still people who's trade is women IE slavery/prostitution. But you guys seem genuine enough and the embassy staff are trained to spot anything dodgy, Also it is down to the discretion of the Visa officer at the time of decision, let's just hope they are in a good frame of mind......For now chock dii, good luck and make sure you stock up on socks and extra jumpers for your GF !!!!!        :D       :o

Hi Russty,

I used to be an immigration officer in the UK and have also worked at several British embassies as a visa officer, so I am quite well placed to give advice.

The decision to grant/refuse the visa lies solely with the interviewing officer and consequently it is unusual, but not unheard of, for the decision to be postponed. The fact that your g/f has been asked to return suggests that either she has been asked to provide further information or the visa officer is conducting further enquiries of his/her own. Without knowing either the details of your g/f's application or what she said at the interview I can't hazard a guess as to what is being sought.

However, on the bright side, I would suggest that the visa officer is looking to issue the visa but is not yet 100% happy otherwise he/she would have simply refused the application on the day your g/f went for her interview.

Regards,

Scouse.

PS. I must say though that your g/f having no job to return to does not exactly improve her chances of getting the visa.

Thanks fellas for the replies,

G/f said ECO wasn,t happy with lack of e-mails,letters.I,ve known her since Oct.2000 but have only had pc since 2002.

Is is worth E-mailing Embassy with more of our background(and to complain about some of the Questions which i thought were really rude and insensitive)Or will this do more harm than good?

I will draft a letter and run it past the G/F first.

She sounds pretty demoralised-I wouldn,t be surprised if she failed to turn up next week!

By the way She is a widow and has a 5 yr old daughter :o

Russty,

Letters, emails, photos together etc.  indicate to the embassy that your relationship is genuine and continuing.

If you and your girlfriend have been together since 2000 you must have had some telephone contact during this period. If so, does your telephone account confirm this?

Perhaps photostating the relevent pages of your passport showing the dates of your time with her in LOS.

There is not much point in emailing the embassy unless you know the file number under which her papers are kept.

Posting documents to them is often futile.

Embassies are notorious for losing papers. To send via registered mail sometimes helps.

It may be better to post your papers to your girlfriend so that she can take them, AND...email a copy of these papers to her also, so that she can print them out. Quite often bulky mail in Thailand will not reach it's destination due to the fact that the unscrupulous mailman sees "bulkiness" as something that may be valuable.

I strongly suggest that you refrain from complaining about any rough treatment you may have experienced. To blame them will get you no where and will do a lot to ensure that your application is rejected. Keep in mind that the interviewer speaks with dozens of applicants every day. They are experienced enough to be able to sort out the genuine Thais from those girls who just want to sell pussy and who have no intention of returning home. A good interviewer will probe (interrogate) ruthlessly and can appear insensitive but you shouldn't take it personally. They are looking after the best interests of your country.

The fact that your girlfriend has a 5 year old daughter who will be remaining in Thailand if a visa is granted, is a very strong indication to the embassy that your girlfriend will leave the UK when her visa expires.

I have heard that it sometimes helps if you get your local politician back home to write to the embassy on your behalf.

Your girlfriend may be able to get a similar written reference from a Government official in her community.

You should supply anything that shows you are an ethical  person with high integrity.

Convince her that it is in her best interest to keep the appointment next week. Nothing is ever straight forward and frustration is just one of the emotions you will go through in dealing with embassies.

If she is granted a visa, it will be a lot easier next time.

Keep us informed of the outcome.

:cool:

The first time I took my (then) g/f to the UK from HK I had a similar experience.

I think the thing that persuaded them was that I could show a compelling reason for me to return and that my g/f was living with and dependant on me. I told them that it was my intention to ask my g/f to marry me in HK but that I wanted her to meet my family first. I was also able to demonstrate that I had the means to support her if she had an accident and that she would not be a burden to the British tax payer. Expect a further grilling when she first lands in UK.

We subsequently married and whenever she needs a UK visa now she happily goes along and the embassy is very pleasant and helpful to her.

Good luck - it sounds promising.

I'm new to this forum, but have been in LOS for nearly 2 years and have frequented other boards. This topic is one of great interest to me since I am seeking the same advice from others. Is it easier for a male to get a tourist visa to the US than a female? My partner and I have been together for nearly 3 years, the first year corresponding. Yes, we have the letters. We have a shared residence, which can also be shown to the embassy. I have been paying his way through college, and as a gift for his graduation we had began planning to visit my parents in the US for three weeks. Since last month, the US embassy has changed it's rules. Very strict it appears. He does not have a job. However, his mother owns a considerable amount of property which he will co-own when he is 25 (he's 23 now). Should this be used at the embassy for "ties to thailand?" Support letters from my family? Will this increase the chance, or will they see this as potential green card issues (a travel agent mentioned that to me earlier today). Any info will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hello to all that care,

The G/f was refused a visa--the reason being that we didn,t have enough evidence of a genuine relationship.Also she didn,t help her case by submitting an e-mail with me(coaching her)helping her with the interview!!Is she stupid or what?

Never mind,whats done is done.If she were to reapply,say next year,would a prior refusal count against her--or do they treat it as a new application?Yours sadly

Russty :o

been following your posts russty and was sorry to hear of the refusal.i guess you should maintain a detailed record of your relationship and try again next year.crazy isnt it.

considering that the uk is host to many undesirable immigrants who arrive first and then claim asylum,housing,benefits,health care etc.and that these requests cannot be refused and that these people just disappear into the general population .however thats not the point here.

just good luck next time.

I can,t help but feel that if the applicant ain,t got no money of their own(regardless of the fact that they can prove their in a relationship)the Eco looks down on it very unfavourably--Or perhaps it is just a way to fill the coffers(3 time applicants might get a visa!!)Does anyone know if a thai woman (who is poor) has ever got a tourist visa 1st time?

Couldn,t agree more about the asylum seekers,taxexile but since when has there never been double standards!!

Russty,

I'm sorry to hear that your application was refused.

You can apply again any time that you want. You now know what they are looking for so start collecting as many documents as you can that support the fact that your relationship is on-going.

Get photos together with those prints that show the date the pic was taken.

Have your mates write statutory declarations re your relationship.  Have her friends and family do the same but translate them into English.

Keep records of any money you might give her. Money sent from your home country by way of telegraphic transfer will list her bank account details. If you give her cash, her bank book will reflect this.

Telephone accounts, emails, letters etc.

Embassies regard "time" as the main factor in a genuine relationship.

Couples who have been dating for only six months have virtually no hope of convincing the Embassy that there is a real commitment in the relationship.

As you have been with your girlfriend since 2000, that is more than enough time.

If you have visited her home, met her parents and her child and can record these details in your statement to the Embassy, you stand a better chance.

I'm surprised that they didn't consider granting a short term tourist visa for her. Maybe a two month visa.

I feel that there may be another reason for the refusal that your girlfriend has yet to disclose.

The fact that you sent her an email suggesting to her how to answer questions, and the fact that she gave this email to the interviewer, certainly did not help your chances.

Speak to as many people as you can that have successfully been through the process and be guided by what they tell you.

Maybe for your next application, you should accompany your girlfriend to the Embassy and request that you be able to speak with the assessor. Face to face often helps.

Don't give up.

Thanks for the advice,Mighty Mouse

I have seen the reasons for the refusal.It appears the documentation from my side was okay--but the e-mailings i sent her(trying to help her)condemned her and quote--put my credibility as her sponsor and the applicants credibility into question.

Why she showed them to the ECO beggars belief --like i said in a previous post shes educated(English isn,t great though)and is not stupid by any means.

Intially i 1/2 suspected that it might have been on purpose--She has never asked to come to the Uk i persuaded her to apply .

But she paid for her passport/visa fees and travelled a total of 1800km(2 visits)

Maybe she was too honest and certainly naive!!

Anyway I think we are both a lot wiser now and will be following advice from the likes of urself in the future.

I had researched quite a bit into visas and peoples experiences

prior to the G/F application but i can,t help but feel that my HELPFUL e-mails to her had the opposite result--a bit of irony there!

However u can,t legislate for naivevity and perhaps me being there the next time is the way forward :o