Mata Hari

colfergie

great food, service and atmosphere, fine dining, not cheap but reasonably priced for the quality which is top of the line. Steak Diane is the best i have had anywhere in the world. If this restaurant was in Beverly hills California it would be packed. my favorite restaurant in pattaya. I eat there a few times a month including last night and booked for my birthday.

not to doubt anyone, and everyone has an opinion, but from the "Overpriced and average food" comment there must be an ax to grind

went there years ago (think they've moved from 2nd rd/patt klang jnctn now??) and determined from the owners attitude on that single occasion that he was/is a high nosed a$$. Maybe a bit harsh on him but that's the restaraunt business for you. Second chances sometimes hard to come by...

Maybe the years have knocked the snoot off him since then....doubt it though...once an ...always an...

Overpriced and average food

Being in business (and expanding dramatically a couple years ago with the move to Nirvana Place) for at least a decade speaks for itself in a very competitive restaurant market like pattaya :o

Not for everyone...if you don't like swiss/continental food...nice decor...or paying more than a couple hundred baht for a meal...but if you like somplace with a little extra touch...it's very nice.

Another vote for the Mata Hari. Wonderful ambiance, good service, excellent food and nicely presented. Not cheap but not a rip-off like Casa Pascuals.

Went to Mata Hari for dinner last evening and must say I was impressed. Food EXCELLENT, Service EXCELLENT and all round just an EXCELLENT evening.

I would recommend to anyone and for those shoe string budget eaters out there that say it is over priced, well you pay peanuts, you must expect the monkeys right. :o:D:D:D:D:wai:

great food, service and atmosphere, fine dining, not cheap but reasonably priced for the quality which is top of the line. Steak Diane is the best i have had anywhere in the world. If this restaurant was in Beverly hills California it would be packed. my favorite restaurant in pattaya. I eat there a few times a month including last night and booked for my birthday.

not to doubt anyone, and everyone has an opinion, but from the "Overpriced and average food" comment there must be an ax to grind

I totally agree with you, its great food and service and i know what im talking about is im an ex chef whos worked in some of the best hotels and restaurants in the world

Matahari is for special occassions and i have been there many times over the last 3 years. The food is technically well cooked and the menu has something for everyone on it. The surroundings and service are the best i have encountered in Thailand in the 10 years i have lived here.

I go there to spend alot of money for a special occassion rather than just a meal and an average wine which you can get anywhere. I still do not think it is expensive for food at all as you would pay at least double in any other resturant in europe. The wines are selective and some come with a high price tag.

overall i would rate it as Pattaya's best resturant for fine dining and would score it 8.5 / 10.

Could someone post a few examples of their prices? Thanks! I checked their website and the interior looks very nice... but no prices mentioned.

Also, I have always wondered how much of a difference in wages are the staff paid at high-end establishments compared to places like the Green Bottle, Hard Rock Cafe, Shenanigan's etc. Does anyone have an idea about the wages for waitstaff/bartenders etc.

Thanks!

TheWalkingMan

Could someone post a few examples of their prices? Thanks! I checked their website and the interior looks very nice... but no prices mentioned.

Also, I have always wondered how much of a difference in wages are the staff paid at high-end establishments compared to places like the Green Bottle, Hard Rock Cafe, Shenanigan's etc. Does anyone have an idea about the wages for waitstaff/bartenders etc.

Thanks!

TheWalkingMan

fillet steak Matahari topped with goosse liver and aparagus is 550 THB

rock lobster in vermouth cream sauce is 550n THB

The staff have been with him for years, so i would say they are looked after properly.

Thanks!

TheWalkingMan

fillet steak Matahari topped with goosse liver and aparagus is 550 THB

rock lobster in vermouth cream sauce is 550n THB

The staff have been with him for years, so i would say they are looked after properly.

They were good at the old location but I've been impressed by how much they've raised their game since moving to the new premises. If I could have any Pattaya restaurant transplanted down to where I live, this would be the one.

As far as Louis, I've always found him to be an amusing fellow, and certainly hospitable.

went there years ago (think they've moved from 2nd rd/patt klang jnctn now??) and determined from the owners attitude on that single occasion that he was/is a high nosed a$$. Maybe a bit harsh on him but that's the restaraunt business for you. Second chances sometimes hard to come by...

Maybe the years have knocked the snoot off him since then....doubt it though...once an ...always an...

Louie is a great guy and lots of fun, he just has a very perverse sense of humor as I do. do not take it serious as he is joking with a straight face. down to earth guy

one of my friends refused to go there after going to his place years ago for the same reason you said. i had to really talk him into going as he thought Louie was a real jerk. he now sees it is a funny sense of humor and they insult each other twice a week for the last year. I always have a go at him since he will always call me a poof for drinking bacardi breezers and I usually tell him I need something to wash the awful food down with, once a week for the last year plus. :o his wife is the cook and i believe a cordon blue chef

He has a wicked scense of homour,

Last night just after paying and getting ready to go, said to him "Compliments to the Chef"

His reply

"No !!! F#ck her, been sleeping with her for the past 16 years so she does not need the compliments"

LMAO after he said that, left the resturant in very high spirts

spent 2600baht last night with my wife and was worth every baht. every baht. only had 2 drinks though, we're cheap dates. i do find that selling Heineken at 120 baht is kinda insulting though. just because you are fancy, doesn't mean you have to gorge the price out of a cheap beer. sup with that? charge me an extra 50 baht on the steak, but don't play unabashedly silly with the 120 baht Heineken. i'm dumb to pay, no doubt, but you don't have to make it so obvious.

anyway, awesome joint. i might even say it's better than Mantra (and cheaper too).

Anyone got any comments on the Mati Hari resturant ???

Mata Hari is Pattaya's premier restaurant. The intelligent menu covers all tastes, the food is perfectly prepared and superbly presented, the staff are smart, friendly and always efficient, the dining room is large, comfortable and sumptuously decorated, the prices are most reasonable and Louis is a hardworking restaurateur with a devilish sense of humour.

I have been a regualr for the last eight years and would urge you to try it. You don't have to take my word for it, even in the low season you need to book to be assured of a table.

5 star yum yums!